Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    I have had a Treo 700P about a month, and recently the lags have gotten annoying. Sometimes it lags 5-10 seconds when trying to turn it on or it lags while using apps. I noted that it only does it at work, never at home or elsewhere in town where I have full bars. I work about 15 miles from town, where coverage is marginal. It was lagging bad the other day, so I turned off the phone and kept using the apps - and no lags. Turned it back on and it lagged again. Then I was walking down the hall and it lagged while I had a screen up with the signal strength - and there was no signal. As soon as I regained the signal it unfroze. Maybe this isn't news to some, but I didn't see it posted here. Users not experiencing lags probably only frequent strong signal areas. Perhaps the Treo development crew should try some low-signal areas! You would think they would have been personally annoyed with it on their own phones by now - or maybe they've switched to Crackberrys?
    Yeah, I think that is a good explaination. I notice with Ptunes, even with Chattermail off, if I am in a weak area, it skips. When I am in a strong area, it's good. It would certainly explain why some people have the lag and some seem not to.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I'll bet you set your phone to vibrate. If you turn the system sound on, you will get a sound cue when the phone goes into and out of network. I'll guess that you will notice the lags occur around the time you get the sound cue indicating the phone is attempting to regain the network signal.
    I've got 5 bars and the lags are still there.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Unless you are in the phone application, how do you know the signal strength? Is it possible that while switching from app to app the signal could be lost?
    The Palm Launcher, Blazer, SMS app, as well as 3rd party apps like 2day and Treolauncher all have signal strenght indicators.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Oh, I don't use any of them.
    Oh, well...Go Tigers!
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    Oh, I don't use any of them.
    Oh, well...Go Tigers!
    Tks for the Geaux Tigers, haroldo.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    What if you turn off the phone application...do you still get lag?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    bbtkd

Good post. I had noticed the exact same behaviour in my office, where signal strangth goes from marginal to no-show. I now turn off my phone every time I'm at work.

I believe this topic was partially covered by Palm's response letter (posted elsewhere in these forums BTW), and this lag has to do with how the Treo prioritizes things, and of course the phone connection is the #1 thing to have, thus the phone will stop everything else until it gets a connection or it decides there's not enough signal to get one. It is unclear if this will be covered and fixed in the now long-coveted ROM update.

Anyhow, good catch and glad there's now a post explaining this typical 700p performance problem.
    there is some workaround which involves deleting all versamail or multimail files with filez program. I have noticed significant improvement. I have sprint 700p. I am not sure where the thread is but do a search - it will explain more in detail
    There is no question that this is at least one major cause of lags. There is one area of work where I confirmed that I cannot use any of the PDA features at all. If I do, the phone will lock up for up to 15 seconds. Once I am clear of that area (elevators are the worse), I have no problems.

Also, I have now tried Chatter several times. This app clearly causes freezes, especially when using the phone app (dialing, touch tones, ending calls, etc.).
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD View Post

Also, I have now tried Chatter several times. This app clearly causes freezes, especially when using the phone app (dialing, touch tones, ending calls, etc.).
    That's not a typical experience for most users....
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    when you delete the Versamail & other files mentioned above in a previous post, the lag is somewhat improved but this is temporary. The crap starts again.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 02/16/2007 at 07:52 PM.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Chatter crashes my 700p constantly too. It only seems to crash after the screen has shut off. As long as I keep it active its fine. That isn't a practical solution though. I've tried all the beta and final releases of Chatter for the past month and keep getting the same thing with every combination of settings I can find.
    hmmmm not for me. I only had to delete one time & it has sped my treo up considerably. UMMV...

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    when you delete the Versamail & other files mentioned abovein a previous post. the lag is somewhat improved but this is temporary. The crap starts again.
    Good Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post

I think most anyone who uses a push email like chatter will find that when the mail is coming in, or the program is connecting to the server, there is delays/lags, whatever. It's like a windows computer with a small amount of ram trying to run multiple programs. Just not enough horsepower.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    hmmmm not for me. I only had to delete one time & it has sped my treo up considerably. UMMV...

treoneo,
    I see from your T/C profile that you are using the Treo 969 Sprint POS. That explains it.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    i am??? my profile is all messed up!! lemme fix it...
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    i am??? my profile is all messed up!! lemme fix it...
    Okee Dokee. But now I don't understand why I still have lags and you don't.

I'm waiting for the ROM Update or a new version of the Treo-whichever comes first.
    (we all know which is coming first)
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast