1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Hey guys/gals. I have got a friend who is having a litte trouble getting their new 700 to sync. Here is what we have gone through so far.

"Any tech guys around that can help. I installed the software on my laptop, but, when I try the initial synch with the computer, I get a message saying the COM1 port is in use. How the heck do I fix this.
    Oh and BTW, this thing kicks ****."

NRG: "How are you syncing? BT or USB?"

Friend:"USB.. I did exactly what the thing said to do. But, it says COM 1 is being used and defaults it to COM3 and will not synch. Unfortunately I can not tell what is being used on the COM because nothing else is connected. I am on a Sony Vaio Laptop and apparantly this is a common problem initially. I just do not know how to tell if the COM is being used. I went into my system and hardware, but, mine does not list the Port option. I have USB Controllers. There are 8 of them."

NRG:"Right click on the HotSync icon in the sys tray. Select "Local USB", and uncheck "Local"

Friend:"Local USB was already checked. But, it keeps defaulting to COM3 and will not synch. I get a message saying it is not connecting on my Treo"

Friend:"The solution was to go into my system and hardware and look up ports to make sure they were not in use. Unfortunately, I dont have a port option on my system. So, I can not tell if they are in use or not. nothing is plugged into my USB ports other than the Treo."
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    That doesn't make much sense. Make sure any firewalls are disabled... I am pulling teeth on that one. Sometimes software searches a USB for a key. Also you can check task manager for any processes that don't look familiar. Also try disabling the COM ports via BIOS if you can't in BIOS try device manager.

I don't sync mine I don't really get the to. I have in the past but like I said why? Using Verizon Wireless sync rocks backing up mail/cal/contacts/memos and its free.
    If I could know then, what I know now.