Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From Release Notes:
    -----------
    v3.0.6+

* Removed 6 month free trial.
    * Removed EX Plugin (now available at www.explugin.com)
    -----------

So, what happens if those of us who bought the plugin do a "over the air" update?

Will we lose the plugin?

Why a complete web site just for the plugin?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  2.    #2  
    Found a partial answer at the site:

"This is the new website for the "EX Plugin" to ChatterEmail. The EX Plugin is now offered free of charge, without support, under the terms of the license included in the download package. Feel free to use the forums for peer-support."
    "Registered users of the "EX Plugin" should contact support@explugin.com for assistance. Please include your hotsync user name and EX registration code."

Looks like Marc is stopping any future development (thus free) of the plugin.

I feel bad about spending $30 a couple of months ago for something that is now free .. but that's life (shrug). I bought Chatter just because of the EX Plugin.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    ?Marc?
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    click the forum link at the explugin site. Marc has chimed in a bit there. Here's a quote from Marc.

marc said: February 13, 2007 10:03 PM
    Welcome to the EX Plugin's new home away from home.

"I have decided to split the plugin from the main website for a couple of reasons, the most important of which is that the EX Plugin is not heavily used and is, additionally, very difficult to support (i.e. many Exchange implementations won't work with it).

So those of you who are already using it can continue to do so, and get personal support as before (but I'll need to see a hotsync user name and EX reg code to know you are registered).

And those who want to try it can do so at no charge (and with only the forums for support).

I have no plans to further enhance the plugin, so what you see is pretty much what you get. Those of you wanting PIM support for Exchange should contact scott@moxsi.com; his beta is very stable, I'm told."

Thanks!

Marc

d-
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Well, Marc's decision can help me decide to stay with PalmOS or not when it's time to get a new Treo as Chatter with EX has been the last and only reason for staying put. Very disappointed but it's his decision. Good luck Marc.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Current users with Ex plug-in have reported problems upgrading to Chatter 3.0.6+ (especially if you do it OTA). There are steps that you need to follow:

http://forums.explugin.com/user/Discussion.aspx?id=9617
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Well, Marc's decision can help me decide to stay with PalmOS or not when it's time to get a new Treo as Chatter with EX has been the last and only reason for staying put. Very disappointed but it's his decision. Good luck Marc.
    Hey, If you bought the EX plugin , you still get support. Marc is specifically saying users who bought it will get the same level of support as before. He's just saying he doesn't want to take on more of a support load, as apparently he spends a disproprtionate amount of time suppporting the plugin.

I for one (a user who bought the plugin) see nothing wrong with Marc's decision. He's providing us "bought users" with the same "bought" level of support as before, but at the same time, taking steps to minimize a time-sink that prevents other work on Chatter. Good decision, Marc!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I know Marc is continuing his support for the paid users so if there are any outstanding bugs he'll take care of them which I'm not worried about. But for sure he's not going to enhance the plug-in which is the problem - for me at least.

His decision is putting an end in the development of the plug-in. That means while WM users continue to have enhancements in Pocket Outlook (a good example in the new WM6 is you can find out if you can accept a meeting invite by checking the Exchange calendar for conflicts, in real-time, and never exiting Outlook before accepting or rejecting), Chatter Ex plug-in users are stuck. (You can see the list of WM6 enhancements by clicking here: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...fessionals.pdf). We've already seen the new VersaMail update and we know it's going to take a light-year to catch up with either Chatter of Pocket Outlook. So as an Exchange user using a PalmOS Treo, I can't agree that Marc's decision is a good one. Maybe it's a good one for him as this is the software roadmap that he's chosen - to stay out of Microsoft or corporate users. I read from one of Marc's posts that only 10%+/- of Chatter users use the Ex plug-in. So it may be a very good business decision for Marc to stay focused on non-Exchange users.

Marc has been a great and responsive developer. I still praise him and recommend Chatter - just not to any corporations or IT admins who use Exchange.
    Last edited by webedc; 02/15/2007 at 08:10 PM.
    Thanks for the clarification. (Now I understand were you were coming from and why you are dissappointed.) OTOH: I don't think Marc ever committed to take Chatter as far as you were hoping. (Sure would have been nice though!)
  10.    #10  
    I too am disappointed that there will no further development/enhancement of this product.

As far as upgrading, EX Plugin was the ONLY reason I use Chatter. If that is not improving, have no reason to keep up with the upgrades to Chatter either.

Like many, with Windows mobile now supporting higher resolutions, and Chatter at a standstill, the bar for switching is now much lower.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    At this point, ChatterEmail is a fairly mature piece of software on a creaky old platform. The question for me is this: Do I continue to cobble together ChatterEmail on its present path, adding features and users to a platform (ChatterEmail on Palm OS) that is barely able to support its weight? Or do I look ahead and seek a future-oriented path that necessarily involves some difficult choices? I can't possibly do both.

I have, for good or ill, decided on the second path, and the splitting off of the "EX Plugin" is simply an inevitable part of that choice. My only regret in this is that some of you will be disappointed (or even angry) as a result; I sincerely wish it weren't the case.

Marc
    Last edited by Chatter; 02/15/2007 at 08:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Like Mark stated there was not enough users to support the effort to keep up with Microsoft changes. Exchange 2007 is coming out soon. The money I paid for the EX plug-in I think have already received enough value to call it even. I assume he needs to spend more time on making improvements for his largest base. I also need the connectivity to my works Exchange Server and that is why I have my old Treo 650. My plans have been to replace phone soon, and the 700p did have enough technology advances to buy it. No looks like I will be going to the Dark Side when Mobile 6 is out with a screen of 320x320 or better. There people at my office who have Treo 750 and love it except for the short battery life. I will stay on 3.05 until I purchase the new phone.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Thank you Marc for responding. Marc got a good point that most of us who are hanging on with PalmOS would like to deny: PalmOS is an outdated platform and developers need to do a lot of tweaks to ensure their own software working as designed and not to be labelled as the 'crasher'. There's no doubt that in order to let Ex plug-in truly excel, a lot more effort needs to be committed. In the business world, I can see that email is no longer a standalone piece but needs to be integrated very tightly with other components such as calendars. So the sooner Marc finds that he cannot handle this without having a troop with him, the better it is for Marc.

I will defintely hang on with the Ex plug-in until time is up. Good luck Marc!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    Do I continue to cobble together ChatterEmail on its present path, adding features and users to a platform (ChatterEmail on Palm OS) that is barely able to support its weight? Or do I look ahead and seek a future-oriented path that necessarily involves some difficult choices?
    Marc is dissing the Palm OS!! If he develops for Windows Mobile, then I am DEFINITELY switching (but only when 320 x 320 devices get released).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    No, I'm not dissing the Palm OS, and I am NOT moving to WM!!!

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    No, I'm not dissing the Palm OS, and I am NOT moving to WM!!!

Marc
    Thanks for the clarification!

One of the side effects of such a feature-rich application like Chatter is the interdependecy of features and the adding of features to an architecture they might not have been planned for. Marc has done a phenomenal job crafting most every wish we might have into a coherent package, that works out of the box in most instances and which Marc has always fixed quickly when things did not always work as planned.

Reading between the lines of what you (Marc) have said, I'm guessing you'll be developing on either or both of the Palm and Access Linux platforms. I look forward to seeing and using great software from you in the future!

-- Bob
  17.    #17  
    In my own defense, "adding features and users to a platform (ChatterEmail on Palm OS) that is barely able to support its weight" doesn't sound very complimentary to the platform.

In any case, I look forward to whatever products Marc is working on (and I hope that includes access to Exchange Server !!).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    No need to defend yourself; I was just stating the obvious about the OS. I don't think anyone (even at Palm) would disagree that some kind of evolution is necessary.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    In my own defense, ...
    I hope you don't think I was bashing you either! I like your posts/questions/comments. They are always (or at least ususally thought prevoking and help me as well as the community. Your discussion here got clarification from Marc about where Chatter may be going, as well as hopefully alerting some other developer to step in and "fill the void" where Marc chooses not to go.
    Last edited by sudoer; 02/18/2007 at 08:33 PM.
    There is a huge opportunity for WM. FlexMail looks like it's going to be a dog. They can't even get a stable beta out the door and their IDLE implementation is not reliable. Users are begging them to release something that works and they just can't get it working right. I don't think they ever will. IDLE is just throwing them for a loop and the interface is terrible.

I think the market it just ripe for Chatter on WM, especially SmartPhone edition (lots of sexy thin devices coming out every month).

Marc, you really should think about this...Nokia already has a decent IDLE client for Symbian so what's the problem with WM? Huge installed user base that wants PUSH without needing Exchange. Huge number of new devices hitting the street all the time. The only IDLE developer out there can't seem to get it together and by the time they do, you would be on Version 3. Almost every Chatter user on Palm would eventually migrate. Why wouldn't you consider porting Chatter to this platform?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast