1.    #1  
    I noticed that when I play a movie on my Treo 680 it stutters when there are great deltas between frames or when the audio gets more complex and louder. I'm wondering if this is a processing power limitation on the 680 or if there is something wrong with my setup. Mind you I haven't encoded the video for the 320 x 320 resolution, it is the regular avi files you get off the net such as an episode of '24'.

I've also noticed the stutters when the phone radio is doing something like losing or regaining signal, handing off from tower to tower etc.

Anything that can be done aside from wasting a lot of time converting the video just to watch it once?
    You have to make it smaller on no variable bitrates too. Been successful with a 320x340 setup using divx.
    Playing an AVI directly downloaded from the INTERNET works, but with a lot of quality issues. The level of video and audio stuttering is sometimes acceptable but not on high volume and fast moving scenes (as you mentioned).

I normally reduce it to 320x320 resolution using Pocket Divx encoder to normalize the viewing and reduce the file size to at most 50%. It takes about 7 minutes of converting for an episode (let's say '24' or Prison Break) which is not bad and may not be a total waste of time.

I agree on your observation that the radio signal is affecting the playback. Even after converting the avi file (as stated above), I still get regular intervals (about 20 - 30 secs apart) of video and audio stuttering. But, when I turn the radio off, the video playback is perfect.

I don't understand this either. This did not happen to my ol Treo 650.
    Ah, I knew there was reason I didn't get rid of my TX!

Flawless video on a bigger screen. I'll have to remember that on my next long flight...

Why is it that each Palm incarnation gets worse with less included software?

;-)
    Good grief, a pull of any recent show off the net is HD 720, that's quite a lot of video for a PDA.

No wonder you're seeing stuttering.
    Yepp.
    Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    Ah, I knew there was reason I didn't get rid of my TX!

Flawless video on a bigger screen. I'll have to remember that on my next long flight...

Why is it that each Palm incarnation gets worse with less included software?

;-)
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I use Kinoma Producer to convert shows for the Treo. Typically, an HD show show be wide-screen, so 320x240... with AAC sound track. (Had to search around for the TCPMP add-in for that!) I keep the bit rates lower and can reduce a 700meg video to about 120 - 250 megs. They play smoothly.
    Mike
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680