1.    #1  
    searched for this but not much comes up. Which is the best usage tracker?

phonetoolspro?
    smaato cost?
    total hawk? - no data I think.

opinions?
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    I used to use Smaato. It's pretty accurate once you set up your plan. (It might be off a minute of 2 at max). But unfortunately, this program doesn't seem to run perfectly on the 680. I noticed that after a few weeks of usage, the stats would reset and not track correctly. Even if you reconfirm your monthly plan & re-calculate the stats. Reinstalling the app would fix it temporarily, because it eventually does the same thing again.

I got fed up and removed it. I have not used another program yet. If the next Smaato update fixes this issue, then I would definately go back to it.
    SmaatoCost is the only one that's free. You get a regcode by sending them your IMEI.

That said, try all three, and decide for yourself.
  4.    #4  
    thanks for the replies, just trying to see what others think is best as some don't have trials or data.

I'm a little worried about smaato cost and giving them my IMEI - I know in the
    US their not doing this yet, but in Europe they have tracking by IMEI. I'd rather pay for the software than have someone be able to track me.

phonetoolspro doesn't have a trial - you have to purchase it.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    I used to use Smaato. It's pretty accurate once you set up your plan. (It might be off a minute of 2 at max). But unfortunately, this program doesn't seem to run perfectly on the 680. I noticed that after a few weeks of usage, the stats would reset and not track correctly. Even if you reconfirm your monthly plan & re-calculate the stats. Reinstalling the app would fix it temporarily, because it eventually does the same thing again.

I got fed up and removed it. I have not used another program yet. If the next Smaato update fixes this issue, then I would definately go back to it.
    We're using Smaato on both our Treo 680s without any problems. Only gripe is that you have to (sometimes) launch Call Log in Smaato for it to show you the current charges and figures. Other than that, its pretty good. : )

Try emailing them, they answer to your concerns. Im just baffled on how they can give this for free. How do they make money?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB View Post
    Try emailing them, they answer to your concerns. Im just baffled on how they can give this for free. How do they make money?
    There has been some recent discussion about Smaato Cost in this thread -

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=127431

Similar concerns were expressed. A representative for Smaato also weighed in on this topic.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1 View Post
    There has been some recent discussion about Smaato Cost in this thread -

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=127431

Similar concerns were expressed. A representative for Smaato also weighed in on this topic.
    Interesting thread - if you think about it the information gathered is very valuable. if they're reporting back usage statistics, phone companies could use this to market their plans, develop plans that ensure they make the most money or use it to target other customers to change carriers.

I think the news reader is similar to avantgo, but avantgo doesn't have the capability to be location aware. Track where you have been and direct advertising accordingly. Here's an example of IMEI tracking in the UK:

http://www.mstlocate.com/

I believe in the USA with the passing of E911 all carriers will have to develop tracking systems, that's why vzw, sprint have put gps in most of their phones - gsm carriers use triangulation.

Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I'm a little worried about smaato cost and giving them my IMEI - I know in the
    US their not doing this yet, but in Europe they have tracking by IMEI. I'd rather pay for the software than have someone be able to track me.
    Hi. As you can see in the quoted thread, we're not about to do anything bad with your IMEI (and I think, even if we wanted to, we would find few thinks we could do with it).

Tracking by IMEI is not available in most countries to third parties - and it always needs your permission.

Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    Interesting thread - if you think about it the information gathered is very valuable. if they're reporting back usage statistics, phone companies could use this to market their plans, develop plans that ensure they make the most money or use it to target other customers to change carriers.

I think the news reader is similar to avantgo, but avantgo doesn't have the capability to be location aware. Track where you have been and direct advertising accordingly. Here's an example of IMEI tracking in the UK:
    We don't track back your phone usage.

We are not location aware, we only know the country. AvantGo knows this too.
  9.    #9  
    Smaato,

I do believe you, I have no reason not to. However, no matter how great the software I have strong misgivings about giving any 3rd party my IMEI. All it would take to get legal permission is a couple of lines in a software acceptance document. Like the ones we all click ok to without thoroughly reading.

Perhaps you should consider starting a poll and asking others if they would give their IMEI to a third party - other than an unlocking service. To see how wide spread the sensitivity is to IMEI's.

The ans to your queries is Comet. Use comet its a very good software and the best part is it works with Treo 680.
    Smaato works very well in terms of usage tracking.
    Quote Originally Posted by bomi View Post
    The ans to your queries is Comet. Use comet its a very good software and the best part is it works with Treo 680.
    Comet is a very good app for tracking voice minutes (incoming, outgoing, home, roaming, total, plus # of calls), but I don't believe that it provides tracking for SMS or data KBs.
    Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1 View Post
    Comet is a very good app for tracking voice minutes (incoming, outgoing, home, roaming, total, plus # of calls), but I don't believe that it provides tracking for SMS or data KBs.
    Treodesktop provides SMS tracking in addition to Voice

http://www.treodesktop.com/
    Do everything you wanna do in life, if it's something you'll regret in the morning...Sleep Late!