1.    #1  
    I got my 680, my first treo last week. It runs smooth overall but within the phone app it is slow to toggle between all the tabs (call history/address book/touch dial pad/shortcuts/etc). Sometimes 1-3 second delay before it switches screen after I click on left/right arrow. Is this normal?
    Is it the same delay between all tabs? I noticed a bit more delay going into the contacts tab and the call log tab. By delay, maybe a second. This may depend on the number of contacts you have or the number of calls in the log. Going into the other 3 tabs it's less than a second, not instantaneous, but maybe 1/2 second.

Bob
    I've owned a 600, a 650, a 700p, and now the 680. Definitely the slowest for phone app navigation.
  4.    #4  
    it's pretty random occurrence between the 5 tabs. switching one time can be really quick and then next time a couple seconds. i do have a lot of contacts (400-500). could that be the issue?

is there an alternative phone app to the one provided by cingular?
    There's TakePhone. You can try it and see if it's faster. It still uses the built-in Phone app to do the actual phoning. There are other contact managers, but it depends how far you want to go.

Bob
    I have found these freeze ups occur in any application, including games, not just the phone app. Better than a reset , I guess...
  7.    #7  

It's gettting worse. I've had these giberish characters appear while in the phone app. It freezes the phone app and one time it froze all typing.

My fix? I'm a newbie so don't know any other way than taking the battery out and putting it back in. Seems to work again.

I'm concerned I have a bad unit.. Or are these behaviors normal on the 680? My only 3rd party app is Google Maps. (wanted Yahoo Go badly, but still not available for Treo) I have a couple old games on there (PacMan?). Nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by inktomite View Post

It's gettting worse. I've had these giberish characters appear while in the phone app. It freezes the phone app and one time it froze all typing.

My fix? I'm a newbie so don't know any other way than taking the battery out and putting it back in. Seems to work again.

I'm concerned I have a bad unit.. Or are these behaviors normal on the 680? My only 3rd party app is Google Maps. (wanted Yahoo Go badly, but still not available for Treo) I have a couple old games on there (PacMan?). Nothing else.
    Many people are experiencing the "gibberish" in the Phone app. Try this thread for more details -
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131154
    As far as freezes are concerned, maybe you can try to uncheck the "show SIM phonebook" under the preference in Phone app/Contacts tab.
    (see this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...73&postcount=1)

This seems to speed up things a bit in the Phone application, maybe it'll help a bit?