Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    first off happy valentine's day to everyone. hope cupid treated y'all nicely

today started off nicely but one thing has been erking me.. i can't seem to get my checkbook downloaded to my treo 700p! it's so frusterating.. i really have no idea what i'm doing.. i hook it up through USB and a screen pops up asking to open with winamp, rhapsody.. etc.. weird. so next i tried a cardreader (i'm using a sandisk 2 gig sd card) and i have no idea what i'm doing with that

can anyone help me out? the file i'm downloading is a checkbook from mytreo.net. if you think it'd be easier to download something else feel free to make suggestions, as long as its free haha.

thanks guys and again happy vday!

~matt
    OK...a few questions:

1) Did you install Palm Desktop yet? If so, you should double click on the checkbook file labelled .prc. .PRC is the palm file extension and that will open the install program on palm desktop. Once that shows up, just plug your palm into the usb port and sync it (there's a button on the cord, just press that.)

2) If you did not install palm desktop, insert the cd that came with your treo, and follow the directions, and you should be able to install without a problem.

3) If you installed palm desktop AND you've tried installing via hotsync and it won't work, open palm desktop and go to the menu item labelled hotsync. The last item on the menu is "view log". Click it, open your hotsync logs and paste them here, so we can see if something is going wrong in your hotsync process that prevents installation.

Does any of this help?
    When you first Hotsync the Treo to your computer does it give you the option of what files to transfer to the Treo?

I don't want to transfer my whole computer Contacts, email ETC, just a select few.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    When you first Hotsync the Treo to your computer does it give you the option of what files to transfer to the Treo?

I don't want to transfer my whole computer Contacts, email ETC, just a select few.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $no$. $Unfortunately$ $it$'$s$ $all$ $or$ $nothing$. $Unless$ $you$ $purposely$ $keep$ $your$ $info$ $in$ $one$ $program$ $and$ $not$ $the$ $other$, $ie$ $keep$ $all$ $contacts$ $in$ $outlook$ $but$ $only$ $keep$ $certain$ $ones$ $you$ $want$ $to$ $hotsync$ $in$ $palm$ $desktop$. $I$'$ve$ $heard$ $certain$ $programs$ $can$ $do$ $category$-$blocked$ $sync$ ($intellisync$, $maybe$?) $but$ $its$ $not$ $common$. $Sadly$. $I$'$ve$ $looked$ $into$ $this$ $myself$ $and$ $would$ $do$ $it$ $in$ $a$ $heartbeat$ $if$ $there$ $were$ $an$ $easy$ $way$.
  5.    #5  
    i bought the treo off of ebay and didn't get a disk.. i'm sure there are drivers though?
    Quote Originally Posted by cmattcate View Post
    i bought the treo off of ebay and didn't get a disk.. i'm sure there are drivers though?
    You need to go here. On the right side of the "popular downloads" area at the top is a "get palm desktop" link. Select win/mac, your smartphone, etc and download from there.

Once you get that installed, do a hotsync w/ out installing checkbook, just to get it all up and running. Also, if you've already added in numbers, etc when you set it up it should ask you about desktop overriding handheld. If you have a lot of numbers already in the palm that are not in your computer, do not select this option. It will wipe out what you have on your palm. Select sync the files.

Once you've gotten everything up and running, and your first hotsync was successful, then double click the .prc file for checkbook and hotsync again. Then it'll install successfully.

If you have any issues, post here and someone will wander through and help. We've all been where you are.
  7.    #7  
    okay i installed it and all and i keep getting an error when i try to hotsync. says:

The connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again

blaaaah this is so frusterating! do you have AIM maybe? that be a little easier
    okay i installed it and all and i keep getting an error when i try to hotsync. says:

The connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again

Sorry, I had to get to bed...I am actually off to work, where posting on forums is a no-no...I will check back in with this thread tonight, if you are still stuck I will try to help you out.

Sorry this is so frustrating for you

A couple of "drive by posting" thoughts on just this issue of lack of connection:

1. Bad Cable.
    2. Bad connection On Treo, or (Let's hope for this following one):
    3. Dirty Connections

Solution for #3: Take a SLIGHTLY damp with rubbing alcohol Q-Tip and clean the external connections on your Treo and on the Treo end of the cable. . . . . . . . . see if that helps.
  10.    #10  
    going to work myself but i'll give it a shot when i get home.

now when i plug the cable into the treo and hit the hotsync button it attempts to hotsync, not sure if that means the cable is good or bad.. like said thought i'll stop by again once i'm home
    Is the hotsync attempting on the PDA or the PDA and the computer?
  12.    #12  
    i'm still not all that sure what i'm doing with the palm desktop software. do i open it up and do something on the pc before i proceed to hit the hotsync button on my treo?

and yes, when i hit the button it says "connecting with the desktop using cradle/cable" and nothing else happens. i'm so lost. i was at the part in installation where it told me to attempt the hotsync (on my pc) and it had the option to skip. i hit the hotsync key and nothing happened.

thanks again guys, i appreciate your dealing with my illiteracy
    Did you clean the connections?

As well, check your connections. . . . make sure that the other end of the cable is plugged into a working USB port on the computer.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/15/2007 at 04:32 PM.
  14.    #14  
    i'm gonna pick up some rubbing alcohol tonight so i'll try that.

this is the screen i get to on my pc, then i hit the hotsync button and after about 30 seconds i get the error message i mentioned:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8767/treoaf2.png

edit: i think i found a problem.. when i hit hotsync, nothing comes up on my computer. only that window asking to open with windows media player, winamp or rhapsody.. i don't imagine that's the correct window.
    Last edited by cmattcate; 02/15/2007 at 05:54 PM.
    Is there the red/blue circular arrow Hot Sync Manager Icon in the icon tray on the bottom right of your PC screen?

And you were able to proceed to this point (the picture you linked) in the Desktop Set up?
  16.    #16  
    yes hotsync manager is on the bottom right of my screen.

and yes i got to that point but nothing happens.
    Go ahead and start the desktop install process again, but this time say you are going to skip the hotsync process -- I want to make sure the desktop load is fully complete -- and then we can see if the cleaning process of the connections is the final need. . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/15/2007 at 06:38 PM.
  18.    #18  
    okay just did it. that's the 3rd time i've reinstalled it :/ i hope it's just needing to be cleaned..
    LOL -- got the rubbing alcohol yet?
    Any luck yet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast