Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    On the Palm site it states that if you got your 680 after Jan 18th 2007 that you do not have to do the battery update.

Do the Newer 680's have the battery update built in or have they just applied the same patch as the download?
    If you go to this site:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...meracheck.html

you can enter your Treo serial number, and it will tell you if you need to do the patch or not. I just purchased a copper 680 from someone locally (brand new still sealed box), and it does not need to have the patch, which tells me that it must be being done by Palm themselves.

On the plus side, the battery seems to be lasting longer. I'm getting 1 1/2 days between recharges for the first two battery cycles (100% down to 15%), and I'm not on the third cycle, and it is two full days and I'm down to 46%. I have had to do a soft reset once when it locked up answering a phone call, otherwise it is rock solid. This is giving me much better performance than the two graphite ones I had back in December.

Because of the godawful snow and ice conditions in the Midwest (sooo glad I moved from Texas ) and further north...my Cingular Treo 680 that DHL was supposed to have on my doorstep this afternoon...will be delayed another day or so.

At any rate, I am hoping that the phone won't need the patch since I only ordered it a day ago...but if you say that Palm themselves are probably doing the patch, it wouldn't effect the Cingular-branded ones now would it?

Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow delivery. I'm just not feeling this Samsung Blackjack I have now and the Windows Mobile OS.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Because of the godawful snow and ice conditions in the Midwest (sooo glad I moved from Texas ) and further north...my Cingular Treo 680 that DHL was supposed to have on my doorstep this afternoon...will be delayed another day or so.

At any rate, I am hoping that the phone won't need the patch since I only ordered it a day ago...but if you say that Palm themselves are probably doing the patch, it wouldn't effect the Cingular-branded ones now would it?

Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow delivery. I'm just not feeling this Samsung Blackjack I have now and the Windows Mobile OS.
    I just got a Brand New Unlocked Treo 680 Copper from Palm a couple of days ago and it needs the update even though it states phones purchased after Jan 18 07 do not need the update.

Check you S/N on that palm page when you get it.
    Or...just check the Camera version in your apps menu.
    I have two camera files on mine.

#1 Camera v.3.5.1.3
    #2 Camera v.1.0.0.1

Per Palm's website, my phone does not need the patch.

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I have two camera files on mine.

#1 Camera v.3.5.1.3
    #2 Camera v.1.0.0.1

Per Palm's website, my phone does not need the patch.

It's the CameraLib-camL that has the Update.

V.3.0
    V.3.1 is the Updated version.

Which one do you have?

I wonder if the newer ones from Palm would have to have the Updated reinstalled if you did a Hard Reset like the older ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    It's the CameraLib-camL that has the Update.

V.3.0
    V.3.1 is the Updated version.

Which one do you have?

I wonder if the newer ones from Palm would have to have the Updated reinstalled if you did a Hard Reset like the older ones?
    I have V.3.0, but according to the Palm website where you enter the serial number of the phone, I don't need it. Guess I'll head over to the Palm site and see what the rest of the story is.

9.    #9  
    Maybe the newer 680's have the fix built right in?
    Maybe 3.1 was a software workaround for a hardware problem that now has been fixed.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Maybe 3.1 was a software workaround for a hardware problem that now has been fixed.
    It's a Mystery !!
    Just got my Cingular Treo 680 last night, and checked the camera version...and found it to be 3.0, and not the "fixed" 3.1 version. I did the OTA camera patch download from Palm.com site...but have been totally shocked and dismayed at the horrible battery life today.

After full charge from the 40% out of the box overnight, the battery is at 22%
    after less than 9-hours of low use...no internet or email useage!!!

I am a newb...but isn't there a way to drain/charge the battery and have it stay "alive" a little longer? I don't want to have to switch batteries halfway through my business day...
  13. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Just got my Cingular Treo 680 last night, and checked the camera version...and found it to be 3.0, and not the "fixed" 3.1 version. I did the OTA camera patch download from Palm.com site...but have been totally shocked and dismayed at the horrible battery life today.

After full charge from the 40% out of the box overnight, the battery is at 22%
    after less than 9-hours of low use...no internet or email useage!!!

I am a newb...but isn't there a way to drain/charge the battery and have it stay "alive" a little longer? I don't want to have to switch batteries halfway through my business day...
    Dont fret yet. New batteries need to go thru a few cycles of charge & discharge before they show their true colors.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by tck View Post
    Dont fret yet. New batteries need to go thru a few cycles of charge & discharge before they show their true colors.

Should you let new batteries go all the way down before charging them or is it OK to charge them at any time?
    You should let it go down until the phone gives you a warning that you need to recharge. This isn't really a battery conditioning function as much as it is a battery meter calibration for the meter circuit on the phone. There have been several discussion about this in other threads. Do a search for it.

Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Or just let leave it on overnight, as that seems to drain the battery down anyway...

:\
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
    Or just let leave it on overnight, as that seems to drain the battery down anyway...

:\
    But you still want the device to give you the message that it needs to be recharged....

Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    You should let it go down until the phone gives you a warning that you need to recharge. This isn't really a battery conditioning function as much as it is a battery meter calibration
    If you want to calibrate the battery you have to go way beyond that warning. The warning comes from the existing calibration, and so if that isn't set right, it is (perhaps worse than) useless to stop your discharge at that point. To set the battery circuit, you have to keep the phone on until it simply stops functioning, when it gives you the signal that it is going to turn off in 30 seconds or so. Then just let it count down until it expires. The theory is then it really is 0% (as opposed to what it thinks the remaining power is when it gives you those earlier warnings) and somehow the circuit remembers that as the zero point. None of us knows if that is true, but there is some anecdotal evidence (like the kind about WMDs) that this is one way of knowing your battery state, which, while not really making the battery last any longer, makes you feel better about it.
  19. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    ....... To set the battery circuit, you have to keep the phone on until it simply stops functioning, when it gives you the signal that it is going to turn off in 30 seconds or so. Then just let it count down until it expires. The theory is then it really is 0% (as opposed to what it thinks the remaining power is when it gives you those earlier warnings) and somehow the circuit remembers that as the zero point. None of us knows if that is true, but there is some anecdotal evidence (like the kind about WMDs) that this is one way of knowing your battery state, which, while not really making the battery last any longer, makes you feel better about it.
    Yes, that is what I did, after reading a few posts from DIG & the gang here.

Unfortunately, for me, it did not change the behaviour of the battery ie it did not follow the positive drain DIG & gang reported, 0.5% per hr. In fact I find the battery drains at a more rapid rate.

Of course my experience is the sole one & believe some who followed this "calibration" procedure did work for them.

I will be trying this "calibration" method one more time. Hopefully this time I get better results.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast