1.    #1  
    Okay, I am still brutally divided between the Blackberry 8703e and the Treo 700p. I have created a list of items and ask everyone so kindly to rate them 1-10 (1 = terrible 10= spectacular).

I have weights assigned to each category and after averaging scores I will apply them and the final value will decide for me.

Phone
    Durability
    Value
    Functionality

Phone = How good is the Treo as a phone w/o bluetooth?

Durability = How does the Treo stand up to day to day use w/o a case (assume screen protection).

Value = How much value does the Treo device deliver vs. the BB

Functionality = How well does this unit function? I am more in line with planning (I absolutely need awesome PDA capability) and information on the go (e.g., web browsing).

Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
    Phone = How good is the Treo as a phone w/o bluetooth?

Durability = How does the Treo stand up to day to day use w/o a case (assume screen protection).

Value = How much value does the Treo device deliver vs. the BB

Functionality = How well does this unit function? I am more in line with planning (I absolutely need awesome PDA capability) and information on the go (e.g., web browsing).
    Phone = 7
    Audio qaul. from the earpiece could be much better - If you use the inclu stereo headset, you will be amazed of the excelent quality.

Durability = 8
    It's in my jeans pocket all the time...no prob. My wife drops hers every week it seems. No issue (BTW..highly recommend a BSE skin at least.)

Value = 9
    I got 2 of them through a retention deal for $400 total with unlim Pwr Vison, Unlim TXT and Pict Mail. Helluva value. Not so much at retail considering the BB is $100 less

Functionality = 8
    I have no issues as I don't use many 3rd party apps (running Resco Explorer, Google Maps, Deinstaller, GMail, IBM-Java). The 3rd party apps seem to cause the most problems. I go about 3 months or more with a reset/reboot. That's considered rock solid for the 700p.
    As a PDA, it's a Palm....the company that reinvented this segment. Simple, fast, intuitive....nuff said.
    Web browsing is quick, but stick to the WAP version of sites if possible/available. Blazer isn't the greatest for EVDO or general compatability with websites designed for a computer. Load Java and try Opera, much faster and more EVDO-esque than Blazer.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 02/13/2007 at 03:07 PM.
    Yeah, Treos can take most drops you give it at a normal desk/waist height on to tile, concrete, whatever. Just watch out for a direct pressure hit on the screen, like against a pipe across the face of the phone; killed my previous 600.

2 words: touch screen. Enhances overall functionality when you just need to get to a program quick or a menu setting without all the buttons. Get the EV-DO 700P.
  4.    #4  
    I put the "without a case" qualifier in the one question because there may be a lag between phone and case arrival. I am not prone to drop my phones though.
    Phone = 7
    The included headset is pretty good. If you go without any headset I recommend VolumeCare to bring out the full audio capabilities. With VolumeCare I'd give it a 9.

Durability = 8
    I have never dropped mine and usually keep it in my jeans pocket without a case. I recommend a good screen protector (Martin Fields) and something like a BestSkinsEver which will protect the body from scratches without adding any bulk. You don't even notice the BSE is on.

Value = 10
    I use mine for everything so the value is a 10 for me. It does everything I need it to but that is very subjective. YMMV.

Functionality = 9
    I use many 3rd party apps to get my Treo to do exactly what I need. No smartphone has all the functionality I need out-of-the-box. The PalmOS has so many affordable apps that you can really customize the device.
    Ditto on what MarkY said and rated. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
    I put the "without a case" qualifier in the one question because there may be a lag between phone and case arrival. I am not prone to drop my phones though.
    Seriously consider the BSE skin. It's a clear film that's die-cut to the side, front and back shapes of the 700. The skin is thin and slightly rubbery so it feels real "grippy" in your hand. It adds no bulk to the device (like a crystal case or leather cover) so it still fits in a secondary case, holster and most cradles. It won't protect it from a major drop but it will preserve it from everyday wear and tear, scratches, nicks, keys in the pockets/purse..ect.
    You can get them at BestSkinsEver.com for about $7. That's the cheapest cover around and at that price you can buy a few and replace them often. I've had mine on since August and it's still in great shape.
  8.    #8  
    The Treo won. Thank you for your input. Be prepared for the newbie questions next week!