Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Folks,

I have just released a new application for the Palm Treo 600 & 650 (700p supported shortly). The application can be found at http://www.aventvoice.com. It allows you to record a message, store it, play it or email it. It automatically emails in the background so you can use to do something else at the same time.

You can download it to your pc or directly onto your Treo where do you don't have to unzip it!

I am interested to know your thoughts - you can send us a comment directly from the application.

Damien.
    Wouldn't mind helping but I will have to wait for the "700p supported shortly" issue to be resolved...LOL
    Thanks, Damien. I tried this on my 700p and it works, but recording quality is still poor (although better than Palm's built in app).
    I tried this program on my Sprint 650, it sent the messages but I never received them in my mailbox.
    Works well for me (Treo 650. Verizon)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Parityone View Post
    I tried this program on my Sprint 650, it sent the messages but I never received them in my mailbox.
    Thanks for downloading. You should check your default email settings or if you saved it to your phone instead of emailing it. If the app is confusing, please let me know - we want simplicity!
    Works great for me (Treo 600, Verizon). I appreciate that it operates in the background, but it grinds all activity on my Treo to a virtual halt while it's uploading the sound. Maybe there could be a "foreground only" option? Then you could also install it on an SD card (400 kb plus the recordings is a bit steep in RAM!).
    Last edited by jberman; 02/14/2007 at 01:28 PM.
    I've been waiting for a program like this. I LOVE it. I wondered why it was free. Is it because it is a beta? It works with my Sprint 650. VoiceDial uses my side button so I tried to map it to the space bar but it didn't work. So I disabled one button recording and use Butler's keylauncher instead. It doesn't beep when starting or stopping a recording (which would be nice). I love the graphics. I have no idea how to use the advanced tab so I didn't touch it. THANK YOU!
    have you guys considered allowing users to play back received messages from within the user's default email client? that would make it even more useful.
    it's not a crack house, it's a crack home.
    I am trying this on my 700p. Seems to work ok. I think it will be lot cleaner when the 700p is officially supported.

Mark
    "I have no idea what you just said, so here is a bunny with a pancake on its head."
    This program is pretty cool, but I do have a question about security. I work at a hospital and am required to abide by HIPAA regulations regarding patient confidentiality. As such, sending an unencrypted voice notation - especially as it appears to be sent via a proxy - is pretty much out of the question. Do you have any plans to provide encrypted transmission?
    Works great for me. Sprint Treo 650.
    a few suggestions:
    1.) No Authentication - I could enter any email address and send obscene messages if I felt like it. (not that I would do that )
    - Can you allow the attachment to be sent through the user's email provider (user would configure your app to use thier email provider)?

2.) Can you allow playback from the ear speaker when ringer switch is off (as opposed to just using the speakerphone speaker)?

3.) For "send us a comment", allow user to hear/approve playback before sending
    I'm getting a "too many sockets" message from chatteremail after sending a few voice memos with this app. Otherwise, it's a very useful program.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Plank View Post
    I've been waiting for a program like this. I LOVE it. I wondered why it was free. Is it because it is a beta? It works with my Sprint 650. VoiceDial uses my side button so I tried to map it to the space bar but it didn't work. So I disabled one button recording and use Butler's keylauncher instead. It doesn't beep when starting or stopping a recording (which would be nice). I love the graphics. I have no idea how to use the advanced tab so I didn't touch it. THANK YOU!
    I am glad you like it.
    Yes, free because it's beta.
    Will look into why your space bar didn't work.
    The beebing on start/stop sounds like a good idea.
    You don't need to change any of the advanced settings - they are the server settings which allows the messages to be sent.

Thanks very much for the feedback.
    Damien.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by kabuto View Post
    have you guys considered allowing users to play back received messages from within the user's default email client? that would make it even more useful.
    I agree. If people download and use the app, we'll definitely consider this feature.
    I'm not sure if there's a correlation, but after I installed this app, my Treo 600 (CDMA) started crashing. A lot. I removed it and no more crashes. I think I was running out of memory, as the error log reported chunk lock errors. So now I keep this app on my SD card and run it with PowerRun. It's a little tricky to do so (must run it, enable background operation, send my message, disable bg operation, and then quit) but still works OK, and no more crashes.

Still love the functionality... just wish it was a bit more stable... but hey, this is a beta after all
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jberman View Post
    This program is pretty cool, but I do have a question about security. I work at a hospital and am required to abide by HIPAA regulations regarding patient confidentiality. As such, sending an unencrypted voice notation - especially as it appears to be sent via a proxy - is pretty much out of the question. Do you have any plans to provide encrypted transmission?

Currently we do not encrypt the data. The medical industry is one we are looking at after our initial “public” release. For this release we would meet HIPAA requirements. How do you use the application? How would you want to use it?

Thanks for the feedback!
    Damien
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker View Post
    Thanks, Damien. I tried this on my 700p and it works, but recording quality is still poor (although better than Palm's built in app).

We worked for some time on balancing quality with process time. We are actually looking into an alternative way to process the message in the background. This might help us improve quality.
    Damien.
  20.    #20  
    Thanks for all the feedback.

We are looking into reducing the impact of our background processing. Allowing an option for a progress dialog that would stay until the transmission is done is a good one. We still think it is better if we can background process, but be “friendly” in our use of resources.

Glad to hear that it works better from the SD card.

It's amazing how many issues we've had with this seemingly 'simple app'!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast