Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I'm sure it's been discussed (I searched but "reset" gets a ton of hits), so I apologize in advance...

I am not sure how often it occurs, but of late I've noticed that my 700p resets automatically. I don't mind doing a hard reset/restoration (NVBackup), but not sure if it will do any good.
    Again, sorry if this one has been hashed and rehashed, but need a little advice...before I try.
    Thanks!
    If you do a hard reset and then restore from a backup, it won't do anything because you will be putting the same info/data back. If you do a hard reset and then reload your good programs from scratch (re-enter codes, etc), and wait on the non-essential programs, you will probably fix your resets.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    yeah, that makes sense, but since I am not sure how often the resets occur, I wont really know whether it worked...or not, unless I plan on staring at the Treo 24/7.
    What if I try that and it resets when it is in my pocket and I am not aware (like the tree falling in the forest).
    A Clean Install cures most software glitches . . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...22&postcount=5

How will you know it worked? . . . . . well, when you stop noticing!

Cheers, Perry.
    I've done what perry is talking about when i got my treo back in June, and it is the best way to go, however it is my experience that over time for whatever reason a hard reset helps with stability--i usually do one every month and rarely have any resets occur, and i have a million apps installed. I will say that in having alot of software on your phone it's good to have the uninstall/cleanup combo on your treo and keep track of any new apps on your phone when you notice spontaneous resets, by doing this i have been able to have an "acceptable" co-existence with my treo and 3rd-party software.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    A Clean Install cures most software glitches . . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...22&postcount=5...
    I am inclined to try it, before I do, I have a few questions. I dialed #*#377# and I see the last fatal crash. It said...

"<unknown application>" Fatal Exception"

(great news, now I just have to find the unknown application...presumably writen by the unknown comic, don't worry, he is from the 1980s)

In any event, is there another code (similar to #*#377#) that will pull up a log that lists all the crashes, so I can see how often they are occurring? I notice them occassionally, but have no way of knowing how many timed it crashes and resets while it is sitting in my pocket.
    If I can determine the frequency (say, once or twice a day), then I could determine if the new installation is stable. Then each new application (I don't use many) could be judged for a few days before adding another one.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by haroldo; 02/21/2007 at 10:29 AM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    ...copied from another thread...
    You may have a software glitch or a hardware glitch if your Treo is behaving that way. To determine which:

To find out:

Hot sync (if you can) to back up.
    Hard reset.
    Run this way for a day, without Hotsyncing. Does the Treo still reset, crash or drain the battery?

IF Yes = hardware problem and the unit should be replaced.

If no, let's see how far we get with a clean install:

Ignore this step: (1. Install the Treo 650 Desktop from it's CD -- it put's 650 conduits into place.

2. Hard Reset your 650, creating a "just out of the box" 650 (unless it is just out of box)

3. Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold) ...Hopefully that's the path that Handspring used, but you get the idea. (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)

4. Before you proceed, right click the Hotsync Manager icon in the program tray, choose Custom and check the action of your PIM conduits (Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Contacts); if any are set to "Handheld overwrites desktop", change them to either Synchronize or DT overwrites HH - otherwise, you will delete all the PIM data on the desktop.

5. Hot Sync the 650 to your userid.

You should have a clean Treo 650 with only your PIM data brought back. PIM data is Contacts, Tasks, Calendar and Memos, the basic Palm applications. Run this way for a day.

Did this cure the problem? If so, continue on. If the problem starts after a particular 3rd party software has been installed -- you will have found the culprit. If you get everything installed and the glitch is gone -- Great!

Install your desired 3rd party software fresh onto the 650 one at a time -- NOT from a backup! (Also, get the newest version, while you are at it.) When you Hot Sync again, a new backup folder is created, with the freshly installed 3rd party software backed up the way the 650 likes it.)

You should be good to go.

Cheers, Perry.
    What about the phone's speed dial? Will I have to enter them...one by one (ugh)?
    ^you can just restore the database file - should be no issue.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    ^you can just restore the database file - should be no issue.
    Okay, I will be the guinea pig and ask the stupid question . . . . . "And the name of that db file to be found in the Backup folder is. . . . ?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I am starting to really dislike my treo
    I exported (from desktop) the data
    I did a hard reset
    I imported the data
    I manually added the speed dials
    I will not add any third party applications, I don't know if they are the culprit or not, but I'd like to have a phone that doesn't turn off and reset when it gets bored
    BTW, view log (from the hot sync manager) does nothing, have to launch it from windows explorer
    Last edited by haroldo; 02/22/2007 at 03:34 AM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    I am starting to really dislike my treo...
    I am starting to really hate my treo

After doing the steps detailed in the post above, I dialed #DATA (Verizon's number to get my data usage). I clicked the onscreen headset button, to toggle the sound from the BT headset to the handset. After the sound was on the headset, I turned the BT headset off (the call was still active) by holding the BT's power button.
    The Treo crashed and reset.
    Sure, it was probably my fault, but powering down the BT headset after the headset was no longer active, shouldn't have caused the Treo to crash, should it have?
    I would not think so . . . . I tried that sequence with my Sprint 700P and Palm Treo BT Headset 3 times and did not get a crash and/or reset. . . .

If your are in the mood to play -- repeat the clean install and stop before you add ANY 3rd party apps. Then try this sequence and any others that have cause issues before. . . . if the issues persist with only PIM data on board -- I would ask Verizon for a new unit. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    the only third party app is Noah Pro (installed to the SD card) so I can understand what people are talking about when they use big words
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I tried to recreate the crash, to no avail.
    I'll keep my Treo, app free.
    I'll also wait for the ROM update and see if it helps.
    If not, in a few months, I'll eBay the 700p when there is a suitable replacement available in the market.
    Okay, I will be the guinea pig and ask the stupid question . . . . . "And the name of that db file to be found in the Backup folder is. . . . ?
    PhoneFavorites2DB??
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    ...I would ask Verizon for a new unit...
    Refurbished unit being sent.
    Shall we hold a TC Community Exorcism over this new arrival before you start up with it?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Hey, you don't even know what other problems I've had.
    I've also had the Reverend Sun Young Moon bug.
    Every hear of that one?
    On Feb. 26th, hundreds of my contacts celebrate their anniversary.
    No kidding!
    I also get hundreds of contacts with customized ring tones. (Not a big deal, since no one calls me).
    These Treos are fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    PhoneFavorites2DB??
    This is correct.

Perry, I PM'ed you this info.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I went through a week of resets (not random though) when the db cache would flush on my Sprint Treo 700p. From a device that NEVER had a problem since week 1 to resets when flushing. Anyway, I found the problem after looking at the two crash logs and found a mutilated (corrupt) file and no problems after that. I then though that since I was off, why not do a hard reset and clean installation. Ok. I checked with Cleanup and found 2 files that were not associated with anything. After the hard reset and reinstallation of everything, I discovered the same two files and the application responsible for them. Wasted five hours. Anyway, after fixing the problem the first time, I really wasted my time doing a clean install. The only good thing out of it was that Uninstall Manager was the first application I installed and it can now play properly at deletion time.

Ben