1.    #1  
    This is my second post here, and although I am far from a mobile phone newbie...I am a total one at PDA/Smartphones, and especially Treo. I am currently using (or trying to use) a Cingular Samsung Blackjack...but not liking the cramped keypad or Windows OS at all. But, it has yet to freeze or do something weird either.

But, I have another 2-weeks of exchange time left, and am considering the Palm Treo 680 since some have told me that the Palm OS is tons more newbie-friendly than Windows Mobile. But...I have read mostly negative posts on this forum and others about the 680's glitches and faults. Is the phone really that bad?

Please give me reasons to buy this phone over the Blackjack...or to keep the Blackjack rather than to waste time and money on the Treo 680!!!

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    most people only post here if they have trouble with the device, or is otherwise unhappy. People with no worries do not post here. Further more those that do post are usually superusers, and demand alot from their phone. (I do not think that you (yet) fall into that category.) This means that all the posts here will mostly look like there are problems with the device. But there are none for most of the people, just checkout this poll:http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=136037

Back in 2004 or 2005 when i bought my 650, i also looked at the discussions here, and i was reluctant. I did finally buy it, and i LOVED it. Now i want a 680. Before the 650 i had a 180, and i was more worried when i bought that device, mostly because i gave up on the Palm V i had years before. But the 180 was a good device for me.

I think that since you write you are a smartphone newbie, then you should at least try the treo model, and all it can offer. After this you might want to try nokia E61, and possibly a blackberry. Once that is complete you have tried 4 different devices and more important, their OS, Your blackjack runs windows mobile, Treo 680 runs Palm OS, Nokia runs symbian, and blackberry runs something i dont know.

Of all these i have not tried a blackberry, but i still like Palm OS the most. And the devices that Palm makes.

I enjoy having buttons that takes you directly to phone, to schedule, and to messages. And i love the Palm SMS message program. This is the killer feature for me. So far i have only seen it from Palm, and iPhone promised to deliver it, though the screenshots i have seen wastes screen space.

I too agree that Palm OS is the most newbie friendly. So, i would strongly suggest that you try it.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the quick response. No, at this time I'm not a power user, so your arguement makes sense.

My priorities are:

1. Loud earpiece volume w/excellent incoming call-quality
    2. Excellent reception and "signal capture" capability
    3. Easy to use daily/monthly planner
    4. "pop3" email capability
    5. excellent support and community
    6. goodthird-party software and downloads

How does the 680 stand up under this list of "must-haves"?
    Yes to all of the above!! Yes! Yes! Yes!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  5.    #5  
    Thanks. One of the things demonstrated here is the much larger community for the Palm devices vs. an ultra-small one for the Blackjack and other Windows Mobile powered devices. Even on the major mobile phone forums, troubleshooting the Blackjack is a hit-and-miss effort, with nobody really knowing what the heck is going on or what to do.

My virgin-tour of a Smartphone/PDA might be smoother with more support a la this Treo forum and others like it.

I am certainly leaning toward having Cingular ship me a Treo 680, and returning my Blackjack more and more.
    Sorry, your #6 is a problem. There isn't "good" third-party software for the 680... more like overwhelmingly excellent would be my vote.

I should know... I've bought close to 150 commercial Palm programs over the years, not to mention all the freeware.
    OT but don't I know you from somewhere, Davis?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have had Blackberries for several years now, having ditched my Treo 650 for instability issues and the weight. Took some getting used to, but I was happy with BBs, especially the Pearl with it's camera and memory card slot. Well, the Treo 680 won me back. Better keyboard (qwerty trumps SureType) and doubling the internal memory has completely cured my insability woes. Plus, I was able to ditch my Blackberry Data Plan ($20/month) and rely on TZones ($4.99/month) instead, no loss of services. And now I have access to the absolute biggest list of aftermarket programs out there. The Palm OS has no equal in that respect. Not even Windows Mobile.
    I hunted around for a while before "settling" for a Treo 680. I'm with T-Mobile and tried the Dash and MDA. The Dash is a great size, similar to the Blackjack. I loved the feel of it and the keyboard was as good as the Treo (even had the equivalent of Keycaps built-in). But the Smartphone edition of Windows Mobile was a real hindrance. Even with add-on software, I still wasn't happy with its core PDA functionality (calendar, todo list), and simple operations (e.g. checking SMS) required numerous menu operations. The MDA fixed most of these problems, but it wasn't a great phone with that sliding keyboard.

The one positive to WM was multitasking. I first believed that multitasking was an overblown feature, but being able to send emails and MMS in the background and download web pages while typing an email is useful. However, this represented only 25% of my time, whereas a good calendar/todo manager was much more important. Also, I thought the phone book was much better in the Dash than in the Treo: easier to assign speed dial codes, easier to search, and easier to manage special codes (pauses etc).

Others have mentioned the positives of the Treo. To repeat a few: stability is the same as WM; battery life is OK after patching (and better than the Q); Treo is a better PDA than WM-Smartphone; third-party software. On the downsides: phonebook/phone integration seems weaker than WM-S, size and weight, no multitasking.

I suggest you look at what your "core" needs are --- how will you use this most of the time. For me, when I did this, the Treo made the most sense.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    OT but don't I know you from somewhere, Davis?
    Yeah, I'm busted!! I can't get any real information regarding my latest turn onto the Smartphone/PDA thing on that other forum...at least from adults. For my mobile phone exploits, that forum is fine...but not for this stuff.

I thought I would get some suggestions here from the "pros".

Good to see ya Phone Diva!!
    Last edited by davistld01; 02/11/2007 at 05:02 PM.
    Hey davistld01. See my response to your post in the other forum. I, and I'm sure many, frequent both forums.

Bob
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tftp View Post
    I suggest you look at what your "core" needs are --- how will you use this most of the time. For me, when I did this, the Treo made the most sense.
    I need a good mobile phone, first and formost. If it has the worlds best toys & bells...but is a lousy mobile phone, then I can't use it. I have some hearing loss, and I require a loud earpiece and excellent incoming call-quality. Plus, it has to have great RF and signal capture.

My other "core" needs are: a easy to use daily/monthy planner and organizer, the ability to set recurrent alarms, and the easy checking of my email. I don't absolutely have to have instantaneous "pop3" type email notification, but I want to keep it pretty current.

I know I will use this device for more, as my need list expands. I want a device that is reliable, and that I can "grow into" easily.
  13.    #13  
    Just called Cingular and ordered the Treo 680...plus a set of return labels. I am going to spend a couple of days playing with both the 680 and the BlackJack and see which one I prefer. The "loser" will be winging it's way back to Cingular Wireless.

Thanks for all the responses. Not many forums have patience with newbies. I appreciate it. Maybe I'll be a regular around here...
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. Not many forums have patience with newbies. I appreciate it. Maybe I'll be a regular around here...
    Yeah, i love treocentral forums too. People really seem to have a friendly talk and give each other advice without looking down on different hardware, be it Rim, HTC, Palm, Microsoft, Apple, or different carriers or different cases or ... It seems to me like this site is "what ever rocks your boat" AND IT'S GREAT :-D
    I hope you are happy. If I were asked what kind of a phone the 680 is, I'd have to say mediocre at best--a lot of the stuff it does is quite good, but the one thing I couldn't brag about to others is the basic phone--the voice quality kind of sucks, and the incoming calls are frequently low volume and difficult to to make out. I am constantly amazed at how much better the simplest of cell phones are that my friends have. I'd be interested in how you react to the basic phone function.
  16. lms
    Your #3 might be a problem. If you spend much time connected to the network to get mail, you'll experience the joy of the 680 battery. If you only hit your pop server a couple times a day, you'll probably be okay. I had to get rid of my 680 and go back to my 650 due to the way the battery is sucked dry during certain usages (such as needing to get mail all day via the network).

I miss the phone quality though - better than the 650 IMHO.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I hope you are happy. If I were asked what kind of a phone the 680 is, I'd have to say mediocre at best--a lot of the stuff it does is quite good, but the one thing I couldn't brag about to others is the basic phone--the voice quality kind of sucks, and the incoming calls are frequently low volume and difficult to to make out. I am constantly amazed at how much better the simplest of cell phones are that my friends have. I'd be interested in how you react to the basic phone function.
    We'll see. Yeah, I must step out and admit that as a mobile phone the Samsung Blackjack rocks. The earpiece volume is tops and the incoming call quality is pretty good too. If the Treo 680 gets even close to the performance of the Blackjack in that area...it might just be a keeper. If not, then I may have to keep the BJ.

For me, as I have stated...no matter how good the rest of the features of the device are, and how well it performs in other areas...if it is rotten as a mobile phone, then it is totally useless to me.

I'm pretty quick to make decisions on what I like and don't like (one thing I am not, and that is wishy-washy)...so I don't imagine it will take me long to made a choice as to which phone stays , and which one goes .
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    would you please let us know what you decide?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    would you please let us know what you decide?
    Yep, but Cingular screwed my order up. Should get the 680 tomorrow.