1.    #1  
    I just received my memory card for my 650. Are there certain programs that I should still save to my desktop? How do I save things to my memory card? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willieygtvuy View Post
    I just received my memory card for my 650. Are there certain programs that I should still save to my desktop? How do I save things to my memory card? Thanks.
    "The Desktop", prior to you putting anything on the Card, has two components, RAM, the easily-editable part: basically programs you have added yourself; and the ROM or system (less easily modified) programs and files; ROM programs are depicted in the inbuilt Launcher by having an oval shaped shadow and it would require lots more reading before you are ready to move any of them around).

Some general rules are to to leave in RAM any program:

1. That runs alarms, or reminders (many)

or that

2. Talks to other programs (e.g. AppLock and many other security apps [e.g. SecureCard], Audio Gateway, LookatMe, Graffiti apps, external keyboard apps, macro-running apps)

or that

3. Runs in the background some or all of the time (e.g. ResetDoctor, backup programs that do automated backups, 3rd partySMS apps, many security apps, some email/instant messaging programs that have background features)

4. Any program that explicitly tells you that it needs to be in RAM. Some programs only need to be in RAM when you hotsync (eg Adarian Money) and if you want you can shift it there from the Card as required.

The ways I know by which you can get apps onto your Card are:

* either from your PC via an External Card Reader in combo with Softick CardExport II or CardReader on the Treo; just copy them into the Palm/Launcher folder on the Card

* or once having HotSynced them into RAM, use Zlauncher or PowerRun on the Treo to shift them across. I know that ZLauncher then creates its own special folder for the app and associated files in Palm/Programs/ZLauncher/Apps/Name_of_app; not sure about PowerRun.

I use Zlauncher and always hotsync into RAM first, because by doing it this way the installation is picked up by "Uninstall Manager". This program keeps track of all the liitle extra files generated by many apps, and, if you choose to delete the app later, deletes the extras along with the main app (as long as it was initially detected via Uninstall Manager).

cheers
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 02/11/2007 at 11:37 AM.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.