Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a long time Palm user (15 + years). Have been through all of the Treos, including the 600, 650, now 700P (Sprint). I just received my 2nd replacement 700P (new, not refurb), a few weeks ago.
    I CAN NOT GO THROUGH A DAY WITHOUT REMOVING THE BATTERY DUE TO A FREEZE AT LEAST ONCE. I CAN NOT GO THROUGH A DAY WITH AT LEAST 2 SOFT RESETS FOR NO REASON.
    I am tired. Really tired. I don't bitc* on this board, but I think I have hit my limit. Why, oh why, can not the 700P be reliable?
    Please PALM, fix it, or I am afraid I will have to either jump off the Palm ship or kill myself----which ever comes first...............
    Last edited by Mort; 02/09/2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
    I feel ya. I always buy the cool gadget that is quickly abandoned by the manufacturer while I see older devices from the same manufacturer get firmware updates. Guess I should learn to stay away from Palm and Archos...but I just can't!
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Replace it. You have bad hardware. I have tons of 3rd party apps and do not have resets like you do. (I can get into trouble when I switch to Chatter with ptunes playing, and then over to blazer, etc.)
    My Treo 700p works great. No resets, great reception, does everything I want it to.
    You have bad hardware. My first 700p did that same thing. Of course my second Treo's keyboard failed after 5 months... but hey... at least it didn't reset all the time. *knocks on wood that his 3rd wont be a huge POS*
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    You have bad hardware. My first 700p did that same thing. Of course my second Treo's keyboard failed after 5 months... but hey... at least it didn't reset all the time. *knocks on wood that his 3rd wont be a huge POS*
    friends, wake up....a "first" then a "second" and a "third"?

does anyone think this is normal? i finally could not take it anymore.

best of luck to you though
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    friends, wake up....a "first" then a "second" and a "third"?

does anyone think this is normal? i finally could not take it anymore.

best of luck to you though
    Trust me, if I could afford to get rid of this hunk of crap and get something else I would. For now I'm just going to keep returning them when they break. So far its been two against the Palm warranty. I'm kind of hoping a few more fall apart between now and the year mark so that Palm can eat the cost.
    I don't hate my Treo and I wouldn't kill myself because of it , but I agree I dislike it. It is a buggy and unreliable and quite simply one of the most unsatisfying experiences I've had with palm in a looooong time. Thinking about getting a 700wx as a result....hmmm....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Don't worry about it Palm, you've got the best 'form factor'.
    So, don't concern yourselves with stability issues, loyalty to long-time palm users, and by-no-means include wifi!
    Just call me Berd.
    It works well only when it has a signal. God forbid you take the subway then it's like carrying a $350 brick. It freezes for 10-20 seconds every 5 minutes. This is insane. And yesterday, it froze then went to a white screen. Hence, reset.

Arghhhhhhhhhhh. I need something better that doesn't have the Palm logo on it.
    Mine works great, I love my 700P.
    Sorry you don't have a good one like me.
    Is the 700p actually worse than the 650 when it first came out?? The 650 was pretty buggy...
    To OP, just curious. Did you hot sync in your old palm profile or did you start fresh and load up the apps from new? If you hotsynced your old profile, you could have some incampatible apps there.
    I donno, to me the 700p has as much reset as my old 650, which is more than it should be but not enough to annoy me.

And I get a lot less reset once I figured out I need to turn on bluetooth before I open TomTom.

The hotsync cable however, is still as craptacular as the 650 one.
    I have had issues with mine, but as of late it's been great.

I've had my bluetooth show as connected when it really isn't. I've had the phone reset when I'm on a call and another call comes in, and I've had lag issues during messaging.
    Mine has only improved since I started doing soft resets once a day.

I have an unlimited data plan, so I coudn't care less about the lack of wi-fi. There are so many people that complain about the treo's bulk and that they can't keep it in their pants pockets, why on earth would I want to put my phone in my pocket?
    I love my treo, I have a great time with it, surfing the web, downloading youtube videos, sending/receiving emails, messaging, managing my schedule...it's great!
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Don't worry about it Palm, you've got the best 'form factor'.
    So, don't concern yourselves with stability issues, loyalty to long-time palm users, and by-no-means include wifi!
    You can bet that Palm is definitely worried about it, on many fronts; so many competitors are nipping at their heels.

If Palm had cleaned up the Treo software months ago, their stock would be up, their user base wouldn't be eroding, and I wouldn't be eagerly planning my departure from the Palm platform.

There's a new wave of handheld devices on the verge of breaking into the market, and the iPhone is going to lead the way; from seeing how the software is designed for this device, I can see that it will transform the user experience completely, and all for the better. You can bet that once it hits the streets, Samsung, Nokia, even Microsoft, will be trying to emulate it, all with lesser degrees of success.

The single thing that I saw with the iPhone demos was its ease of use; so many things have been done to make the handheld experience more natural, more user-friendly, more innovative. Mark my words, all the handheld makers will be trying to do the UI tricks that Apple has already created.

From reading articles by reporters who got to play with one of the devices at MacWorld (David Pogue of the NYT is one), it's clear that the UI is ready to go. To be able to view a web page exactly as it appears on a computer screen, rather than in this awful way that we see them in Blazer, is astounding; to zoom in, just double-click the screen or do a "reverse pinch" on the screen, and the browser zooms in; pinch the screen and it zooms out. Turn the iPhone and it senses that it's been turned, and the image turns.

These are all things that Palm should have been working on years ago, with their huge stake in the handheld market. Why, when they've had so much time to devote to STRICTLY the handheld market, have they not gotten farther than the lousy Blazer browser and its awful freeze-ups? Why have they not gotten the Palm smaller and thinner?

I have no doubt that version 1 of the iPhone will have flaws, but when you think back to the original iPod, and how it's gotten better and better with every new release, I get excited about what they'll do for the iPhone.

I just wish, with all the hundreds of dollars that I've invested in Palm software over the years, that Palm was already there. They SHOULD be.

I still like my Treo; I don't hate it, but I have to say, sitting in the MacWorld keynote speech, seeing this elegant handheld device in front of me, I was almost embarassed to hold up the Treo. It looked antiquated by comparison... sad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    I am a long time Palm user (15 + years).
    Pilot 1000 was released in 1996... 11 years ago. (Seems like longer ago than that, doesn't it?)
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    After weeks of lurking on these forums, IVE had enough of the Treo bashing, and you sir have inspired me to finally register and here is my first post.

Quit complaining. You dont like it, go get a blackberry, theyre getting dropped soon by nearly every carrier, so have fun. Palmone has got their product on lock... much better quality control than most other companies. My 700p sprint new, has been nothing but joy with NO resets, hard resets, crashes, anything. I suggest you stop using a bazillion fancy schmancy programs and stick to the tried and true ones or OEM programs.

Its people like you that make this forum exactly what it is, a vent field for problems yet show no solution and the impression it gives to potential Treo buyers is to beware and ultimately move them away from the Treo.

700P is a great phone, nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by bananaphoneman View Post
    After weeks of lurking on these forums, IVE had enough of the Treo bashing, and you sir have inspired me to finally register and here is my first post.

Quit complaining. You dont like it, go get a blackberry, theyre getting dropped soon by nearly every carrier, so have fun. Palmone has got their product on lock... much better quality control than most other companies. My 700p sprint new, has been nothing but joy with NO resets, hard resets, crashes, anything. I suggest you stop using a bazillion fancy schmancy programs and stick to the tried and true ones or OEM programs.

Its people like you that make this forum exactly what it is, a vent field for problems yet show no solution and the impression it gives to potential Treo buyers is to beware and ultimately move them away from the Treo.

Although I understand your frustrations with the Treo bashing, I do not agree with your perception of the Treo.

Without 3rd party products, my Treo was resetting when I was on a call and another call came in. It would lag when typing text messages, and the bluetooth would think it was connected and the headset on even though I couldn't use the head until I reset the Treo.

The Treo is far from perfect, and people are very angry that Palm keeps coming out with new products without fixing the problems with the previous models.
    If you haven't had any problems, good for you, you have been lucky, but there are many 3rd party products that make the Treo a better phone than what it is out of the box.

Later.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bananaphoneman View Post

Could nt have said it any better. People need to stop crying like little babies the problem is not with the device, but rather the USER! I've noticed that ppl have the most rediculous appplications installed on their device that have NOT been proven to be compatible yet. Menwhile they come crying on forums complaining about the device.

BT is not an issue, freezing and resets are not issues with the device, it's the stupid software you have loaded thats the problem. Think of the device like a computer, you load some wacky software or virus and what happens to your pc, it starts acting weird right? Same thing with your 700P, only install software thats proven to work with the device and trust me you will have no problems....
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast