Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drrjv View Post
    My Treo 700p works great. No resets, great reception, does everything I want it to.
    Yeah, it's becoming painful to visit this site because there are so many complainers. If you don't like it - get something else. Jesus.

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Read through the countless threads over the past few months on each of these bugs as they crop up and you'll realize a hard reset was the first thing that was suggested and tried to get rid of it, thus eliminating the hypothesis that it was 3rd party software. If the bug still exists after a hard reset, the problem is either on the firmware or the hardware. Since so many people have this problem, and given that the bluetooth on the 700wx is not having these issues, it seems pretty obvious that it's the firmware. Why? Because palm already admitted that except for the screen, the hardware between the 700wx and 700p is shared.
    If it's the firmware, then how do you explain the fact that many many people, probably the majority of people, have no problems whatsoever, with the clear exception of Bluetooth? And we ARE all running the same firmware, right? Be logical. It's the hardware....has to be....
    I hate to say this because I love my Treo. I use it for everything and it's helped me in my life immensely, but the Bluetooth is poor and so is Blazer. Everything else seems to work great (except for the resets I get sometimes when I'm in Extended Network with Verizon) but the white screen lag leaving and entering Blazer has made it much less convenient and I hate having to re-pair to my Mac almost every time I use the Bluetooth Modem functionality. The 700p is awesome in so many ways, but the reason there's so many complainers is because Palm hasn't done anything about these issues in the 8 months since the release. It's almost going to be a year and there's a bunch of new Treos but they've left the 700p owners out to dry when it comes to support.
    Question is -- who is dragging their feet on a 700P ROM update? Palm or the carriers? Maybe the carriers believe the issues are not strong enough to warrant the trouble of providing it and all the issues that they will encounter with the custom ROM explosion that will occur once the pathway is provided?

Is the hacking of the 650 ROM a roadblock to the release of a 700P ROM fix?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Question is -- who is dragging their feet on a 700P ROM update? Palm or the carriers? Maybe the carriers believe the issues are not strong enough to warrant the trouble of providing it and all the issues that they will encounter with the custom ROM explosion that will occur once the pathway is provided?

Is the hacking of the 650 ROM a roadblock to the release of a 700P ROM fix?
    If I had to guess, I'd say it's the carriers. Palm probably wants to (re: is dying to) to get this fix done but they are being held up by the carriers probably because a Palm ROM fix would screw so many things up on the carrier side.

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    If it's the firmware, then how do you explain the fact that many many people, probably the majority of people, have no problems whatsoever, with the clear exception of Bluetooth? And we ARE all running the same firmware, right? Be logical. It's the hardware....has to be....
    Okay, Palm has admitted to us that in addition to the bluetooth lag is a problem. I really don't see why you're trying to deny this. They said they changed the hardware to a shared hardware platform with WM5, and from what they said it seems like they didn't get enough time to truely optimize and debug palmos software on this hardware. I don't understand why you people are arguing though, these are CONFIRMED BUGS BY PALM.
    Mtidftjtysk
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Okay, Palm has admitted to us that in addition to the bluetooth lag is a problem. I really don't see why you're trying to deny this. They said they changed the hardware to a shared hardware platform with WM5, and from what they said it seems like they didn't get enough time to truely optimize and debug palmos software on this hardware. I don't understand why you people are arguing though, these are CONFIRMED BUGS BY PALM.
    I think thats Palms way of appeasing everyone "crying" about various issues. Once they "claim" to admit an issue, ppl will relax and await a fix. Now if they deny, much like others have already done, emails, and calls start flying through demanding help.

Explains why after almost a year NOTHING has been done to address you ppls concerns.
    I'm not trying to deny anything. As I said, Bluetooth, which they agree was a firmware problem, is a consistent problem. Read very carefully: I don't have any lag. Many many users don't have lag. Explain how that is possible if it's a firmware problem? Or do we all have different firmware?
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    Mtidftjtysk

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=108911
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I'm not trying to deny anything. As I said, Bluetooth, which they agree was a firmware problem, is a consistent problem. Read very carefully: I don't have any lag. Many many users don't have lag. Explain how that is possible if it's a firmware problem? Or do we all have different firmware?
    Try playing an mp3 in ptunes without a single skip. Try going into a low coverage area and seeing how responsive the treo is. Try doing anything while the phone is searching for a signal. Try turning the phone off after you send an email or something and see how long it takes for the screen to actually turn off. Try text messaging on a consistent basis and see if there's any lag that might cause the treo not to recognize an entire word's worth of keystrokes. All of these happen consistently across many people's phones here.
    Try playing an mp3 in ptunes without a single skip. Try going into a low coverage area and seeing how responsive the treo is. Try doing anything while the phone is searching for a signal. Try turning the phone off after you send an email or something and see how long it takes for the screen to actually turn off. Try text messaging on a consistent basis and see if there's any lag that might cause the treo not to recognize an entire word's worth of keystrokes. All of these happen consistently across many people's phones here.
    The ptunes and messaging lag definitely happen to me regularly.
    Of course someones bound to balance the previous 2 posts and say it, so here it goes....

I rarely get ptune skips, my cell phone reception is fine so I never get searching problems, and my messaging is instantaneous.
    Ditto here. Except for Ptunes, it skips like crazy for me. To the point where I had to invest in another ringtone app that doesn't use Ptunes b/c my tones were getting so garbled you couldn't even tell what the song was, and it would continue playing even after I answered. I don't use it enough for regular music listening cause I have an 80 gig eyepod for that, so I can't really comment on music playback quality. I've found Ptunes to kinda suck :/

Yeah, it's becoming painful to visit this site because there are so many complainers. If you don't like it - get something else. Jesus.
    Hahaha.... my thoughts/advice exactly. Nobody's holding a gun to your head to keep it.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    Ditto here. Except for Ptunes, it skips like crazy for me. To the point where I had to invest in another ringtone app that doesn't use Ptunes b/c my tones were getting so garbled you couldn't even tell what the song was, and it would continue playing even after I answered. I don't use it enough for regular music listening cause I have an 80 gig eyepod for that, so I can't really comment on music playback quality. I've found Ptunes to kinda suck :/

Hahaha.... my thoughts/advice exactly. Nobody's holding a gun to your head to keep it.
    Yeah, I'm now using Phone Technician for my MP3 ringtone and guess what? Not a skip to be found anywhere!!!

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

I wish the dev would expand the ringtone options or make a standalone app. He obviously knows what he's doing, the hobbyist player ROCKS! I emailed him & bugged him aboot it, he says its on his list. I <3 him...
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    I'll give you the pTunes issue. I have occasional skips with that, but does a problem with built in software automatically qualify as a firmware problem? How well do other phones perform in low signal areas, especially when they have email and data services like the Treo? This is my first Treo. I used an i500 before for many years, and it didn't do very well while searching for a signal either. I don't turn the phone off after sending emails...why do you? The only lag I get while text messaging is when the device is accessing the web through Versamail, which by the way works just fine on my device.

My gripe with the Treo doesn't have anything to do with lags or white screens or problems with text messenging or skipping music. It's that in my opinion you guys are blind to the horrible form factor of Treos. It is and will always be a brick, and if Samsung had ever come out with the i550, with card slots, a hi res screen and better OS, there's no way I'd be hauling one of these things around. The i500 was half the size, half the weight, and a joy to use. The iPhone, Q and other competitors have recognized this. That's what may kill the Treo...it's a clunky brick.
    In case it wasn't mentioned in this thread, if you shut down email while playing Ptunes, it rarely skips. Also, if you purge the older sms messages, it helps the lag. No, you shouldn't have to do these things, but it is a work around.

Bottom line is, there are a lot of smartphone choices out there. If you "hate" your Treo, get sometbing else. Otherwise, learn to live with the bugs and don't expect any fixes. You will be disappointed if you are unhappy with your 700P, and will only be happy with an update. Personally, I can live with the quirks of the 700P, because the features and capabilities are amazing.
    "I don't turn the phone off after sending emails...why do you?"

Um, maybe because we're done using the device at that point and putting it back in your pocket while still on is a recipe for disater?
    dude, its a phone, not a bomb.

Seriously though, there's a misunderstanding here. Someone's thinking of just turning off the screen & someone's thinking of turning off the actual phone part.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast