Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    New to 700P (last two weeks) and both pleased with the fast CDMA and frustrated with its shortcomings....but trying to work with it.

I'd really like to see if the Treo can replace my recently stolen Ipod. I have 4gb of files formerely in Itunes...but now scattered all around in a data recover file after my laptop hard drive crashed. Most of these files are from CDs I owned and copied to my laptop..but I can't remember for sure if I ripped them into standard mp3 format or something propriatary to Itunes. I only had a few songs that were dowloaded from the Itunes store.

My questions

1. Should I just download the latest Itunes? Will it search for random audio files? Then when I tunes has them again (hopefully)..is there a way to put them into a file that Treo compatible software can see?

2. Or,.....Is there some good mp3 software out there to scan the data recovered and assemble the audio files into one location again? Hopefully free or not too expensive

3. What software do you use to organize and transfer the songs to the Treo?

4. What software do you use instead of Itunes on your computer to try, buy, and download songs?

Thanks

Warren C.
    Last edited by Wchapman; 02/09/2007 at 01:18 PM.
    Warren C.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    The 700p comes with Pocket Tunes built in. Using that software you can use your Treo like an iPod and sync it with Windows Media Player. You'll need to install software from the CD that came with the phone as well as have Windows Media player 10. Last I checked WMP 11 wasn't supported, but that was a long time ago. You won't be able to play your encrypted stuff though, but WMP can search your hard drive for music files.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    EDIT: Previous post beat me to it!
    I can only partially help.... I don't do Itunes or music all that much.

You can copy MP3 directly to the 700p using the "quick install" feature from the palm desktop. This can be a bit tricky because the "quick install" tool fights you sometimes by refusing to place certain types of files in certain places (device vs SD card).

According to the Palm documentation (Palm or Ptunes, I forget which manual) they recommend that you use Windows Media Player (YUK!) to manage your music. I think WMP will let you make playlists and organize your music. WMP will also copy your music to the Palm for you. That is how I moved my first 4 or 5 songs to the 700p. After that I just use quick install. But then I only have a few dozens somgs on my 700p to worry about.

JM
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Just wnt to pTunes site....interesting to note the 3.09...the version on my Treo, came out in Marcch of 2005. You'd think Palm could give you a later version in a phone sold in 2007.

Which version of WMP works with ptunes 3.09.

Still trying this thing out. I don't want to buy more software since I'm undecided still about keeping the phone. Are there free ugrades to current versions of pTunes when you buy a new 700p?

I've been following the forum on the Softick Audio Gateway site and it seems that the latest versions of pTunes don't work well with it? Any comments?

Warren
    Warren C.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Chapman, there is a lot of threads on this. Do a search and you will see.

FYI all music can be unencrypted it just takes the knowledge/app/burn yada yada yada...
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Unfortunately, iTunes and music bought through iTunes is incompatible with things not iPod.

There are a couple of ways that involve a lot of work into hacking the files to get rid of the iTunes DRM stuff (both Apple's and record label's); if you are into that follow e2chris suggestion and search around the forums. A simpler way is to rip your MP3s into musci CDs and then back to MP3s... lot'sa hard work I know..

On the Pocket Tunes side, you will need to install software that you can download from their website or install from the CD directly. I tried this once and the transfer rate is rather poor, you are better of copying files directly into the SD card using a card reader.

Also, Pocket Tunes supports all the other online music store formats that use Microsoft's PlayForSure DRM scheme. This is nice for those subscription-based sites.

It is sad that one has to go through all these hoops to be able to play music we legally own...
    Last edited by waldo15; 02/09/2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: forgot about the straightforward-yet-painful process of MP3 to music CD process in iTunes
    You can use iTunes to gather your music on your computer, and then convert them to mp3 files. To do this, start in your music library and select all the AAC files. To find the file type, go to the "View" menu and select "View Options" then check the "Kind" box and "ok", now you can sort by "Kind". Now go to the "Advanced" menu and select "Convert selection to MP3". This will work for all but the DRM'd files (those purchased from iTunes). You will now have 2 copies of those songs, you can delete the AAC versions if you wish. Next create a playlist for the songs you would like to transfer to your Treo. Once that is done, all you have to do is select all from that playlist and drag it to the appropriate folder on your SD card. (an SD card reader is the only practical way of moving gigs of music files to the Treo). Now just make sure the Treo mp3 player (Pocket Tunes, TCPMP, or CorePlayer) is looking in the right folder for the music and all should be good.

BTW, TCPMP and or CorePlayer will display album art if embedded into the mp3.
    "I want my 2 dollars!"
    - Better Off Dead -
    Quote Originally Posted by Wchapman View Post
    New to 700P (last two weeks) and both pleased with the fast CDMA and frustrated with its shortcomings....but trying to work with it.

I'd really like to see if the Treo can replace my recently stolen Ipod. I have 4gb of files formerely in Itunes...but now scattered all around in a data recover file after my laptop hard drive crashed. Most of these files are from CDs I owned and copied to my laptop..but I can't remember for sure if I ripped them into standard mp3 format or something propriatary to Itunes. I only had a few songs that were dowloaded from the Itunes store.

My questions

1. Should I just download the latest Itunes? Will it search for random audio files? Then when I tunes has them again (hopefully)..is there a way to put them into a file that Treo compatible software can see?

2. Or,.....Is there some good mp3 software out there to scan the data recovered and assemble the audio files into one location again? Hopefully free or not too expensive

3. What software do you use to organize and transfer the songs to the Treo?

4. What software do you use instead of Itunes on your computer to try, buy, and download songs?

Thanks

Warren C.
    Look at mOcean. Its a player that is compatable with Apple AAC format and can sync-up with iTunes
    Tunebites. Nuff said.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Look at mOcean. Its a player that is compatable with Apple AAC format and can sync-up with iTunes
    I really like mOcean....but it doesn't yet work well with Softicks Audio Gateway (SAG).... an incoming call while listening on my A2DP wireless headphones crashes mOcean....sometimes the phone too.
    Warren C.