1.    #1  
    I know, I know, there is pTunes, and I'm sure it's great. However, out of principal, I just can't bring myself to pay $35 when I'm sure there is something out there for free. I know there is Realplayer, but the jackasses at Realplayer never added a good sort feature. I listen to Audiobooks, and it takes forever to sort the audiobook tracks in Realplayer. The tracks I have are all alphabetical, but Realplayer lacks a "sort" feature for playlists. It's very frustrating to sort all the tracks by hand when all it would take is a few lines of code to add a simple "sort" feature.

Anyway, that's my main question: Is there a free mp3 player for PDAs (or the Treo 650 specifically) that has a "sort" feature when one creates playlists? Again, I listen to Audiobooks, so sorting is a key feature I need. It's such a simple piece of software that I'm looking for: Sort and play Mp3's. I refuse to believe there isn't a free mp3 player that will meet my needs.

If anyone knows where I can find a simple Mp3 player with a "sort" feature, please let me know.

Just as a quick aside: if you like audio-books, I have a cool procedure for getting them for free: Local library. Our library has a good website where one can request books on CD from not only our local branches, but all over the country. With that much to choose from, it's pretty much as good a selection as "Audible.com.Ē It takes time, yes, but hell, it's free. Once you get them just convert them to Mp3's and you'll have them for life. It's great to burn them onto CD's and listen to them on the way to work (makes me forget my commute to work!). I also take my Treo and listen to audio books on the treadmill at the gym. It's amazing how fast time flies listening to "Deception Point" or "DaVinci Code." Just thought I'd share my ideas.

Thanks,
    Otto
    TCPMP is the only free MP3 player. Yes, real comes on the Treo, but it wasn't free.

If it sorts or not, I don't know. Its playlists capability are nil and has no background play.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    ITA!! I'm ready to break down and pay $35, sadly. The lack of sort on RealPlayer just completely baffles me. I'd get the awesome new Kimona software, but it doesn't run in the background.
  4.    #4  
    Where can I get that TCPMP that was mentioned above

-Otto
    Not sure what device you have but if you bought a 680, pocket tunes 3.0 was free on the CD that came in the box.

If you want 4.0 it's like $20.00 to upgrade. Also Kinoma player can play MP3s and audio books as well. There's a coupon code around here somewhere that will knock $5.00 off to make it $19.99............
    You can get PocketTunes basic for $20. Allows the Treo to do pretty much what an iPod does, but (unlike the deluxe version of PT) does do the over-the-air streaming audio and other fancy stuff. $20 well spent for me. And yes it does sort - by album, artist, genre, playlist, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto2005 View Post
    Where can I get that TCPMP that was mentioned above

-Otto
    http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Google+Search&q=tcpmp
    I never understood this obsession with p-tunes. The program is too big and it’s only a music player. TCPMP & real player are all you need in my opinion. But if you are going to spend money then I would get CorePlayer Mobile for Palm OS http://coreplayer.com/component/opti...page/Itemid,1/
    It’s the same as TCPMP but supports background playback so you can use it simultaneously with most any other application. You can then go ahead and trash Real player via a Custom ROM being that the only advantage to keeping it is its background playback. Maybe there is something more to P-tunes I’m missing; all I know is every time I install it I get pissed off at its memory consumption and stuttering background play when I use it with tom tom 5. As for its organization ability’s, they are nothing special to me since I use Musicmatch to organize my playlists B4 I head out the door. In the end it all comes down to what your priorities are and what works better 4 U.
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 02/11/2007 at 06:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    I would get CorePlayer Mobile for Palm OS http://coreplayer.com/index.php?opti...d=33&Itemid=29
    Itís the same as TCPMP but supports background playback so you can use it simultaneously with most any other application.
    what version of the core player are you using? the version I have doesn't support background play...
    I’m not even using it but I read someplace that that is one of its features. However if like you say it can’t do it then it makes no sense to even buy since it would basically be the same as TCPMP. what version are you using?

here is some light on the subject
    http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...n&ct=clnk&cd=1
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 02/11/2007 at 06:47 AM.
    I never understood this obsession with p-tunes. The program is too big and itís only a music player. TCPMP & real player are all you need in my opinion. But if you are going to spend money then I would get CorePlayer Mobile for Palm OS http://coreplayer.com/component/opti...page/Itemid,1/
    Itís the same as TCPMP but supports background playback so you can use it simultaneously with most any other application. You can then go ahead and trash Real player via a Custom ROM being that the only advantage to keeping it is its background playback. Maybe there is something more to P-tunes Iím missing; all I know is every time I install it I get pissed off at its memory consumption and stuttering background play when I use it with tom tom 5. As for its organization abilityís, they are nothing special to me since I use Musicmatch to organize my playlists B4 I head out the door. In the end it all comes down to what your priorities are and what works better 4 U.
    The original poster was looking for a sort function, which TCPMP and RealPlayer don't have. (Yes he/she was looking for a freebie also, which PocketTunes definitely is not, I plead guilty there.) I've tried all the music players and prefer PT because (for me anyway) it is very fast at loading/sorting my 700+ song collection and is very stable in background playing (even with Garmin Que GPS software running also in the background, with a 3rd app in the foreground.) On the downside PT is a big program, and the default and 3rd party skins are lousy IMHO. mOcean and goMP3/Busker have nicer interfaces but are too slow to load and/or too unstable. (By the way, I use PocketTunes 3, not 4; I disliked 4 so never upgraded.)

But as BronxBoy says, it's all a matter of priorities; at least we have a few choices.
  12.    #12  
    So TCPMP does NOT have a "sort" feature? That's amazing to me because that's such a basic feature. No one knows of a free Mp3 player with a "sort" feature?

Thanks,
    Otto
    If your looking for a freebie I really don't think there is anything out there to meet your needs. If you want to spend a little $$$ you can check out Aeroplayer which is similiar to Pocket Tunes (although it doesn't have all the bells and whistles PT has) and that's only $15.00. Also there's goMP3 Player which is around $20.00......I also believe the new version of Butler has a Audio Player option built into it and that's only $15.00.
    Last edited by bearballz; 02/11/2007 at 12:07 PM.
    There is Dioplayer which is free and by default it sorts playlist alphabatically, but on Treo650 there are complaints of screen not turning off automatically. Vendor is not supporting it any more.
    Im not even using it but I read someplace that that is one of its features. However if like you say it cant do it then it makes no sense to even buy since it would basically be the same as TCPMP. what version are you using? here is some light on the subject http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...n&ct=clnk&cd=1
    oh, they haven't added background play yet, its a nice player, but not really much better than their free player TCPMP...

ptunes it is best mp3 player(IMO) because...

-background play
    -its skinable
    -its stable
    -you cantrol it from any app
    -it streams
    -works with S.A.G.
    -sorts and creates playlist better than any other player I've tried
    -has a sleep function
    -it bookmarks

a lot of the other players out there have some of the same feature's but ptunes is the most complete

I agree the file size on version 4 is too big, but I can live with size of version 3
  16.    #16  
    Is it worth getting the "deluxe" version (instead of the basic version) just for the bookmarks? That's the only feature I noticed that "deluxe" had over "basic" that was useful to me.

-Otto
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto2005 View Post
    Is it worth getting the "deluxe" version (instead of the basic version) just for the bookmarks? That's the only feature I noticed that "deluxe" had over "basic" that was useful to me.

-Otto
    I've never used basic, so I really cant compare the two... once I found out deluxe streamed I went str8 for that version...

bookmarks are useful for large mp3s... say for example you have a hour long mp3(live concert, lecture, etc) and you want to "bookmark" something at 25:23... you can just add a bookmark, and title it... That way you wont have to remember the timestamp, or go searching thru a hour long file to find the part you want... PT's skips from bookmark to bookmark like they are indivual tracks...