Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Hi

I was just informed that the $5.00 off TreoCentral discount code to purchase Kinoma Player 4 EX V4.1 (takes the price down from $24.99 to $19.99).. is probably going to go away this coming weekend.. I can't give you the exact day and time because I don't know.. so if you want to get this fantastic software for five bucks off, act fast.. the coupon code link is only valid for the next day or two at the most..

I referenced the link to buy the program with the $5.00 off code in my November, 2006 review and in my current front page article about the V4.1 upgrade, but if you're too lazy to go read those, here's the link:

https://kinoma.cleverbridge.com/27/?...lk6&coupon=TC5

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Or you can just click the Kinoma Splash Screen when running a movei, etc off of the Net and be takern to the Kinoma page where you can upgrade OTA for $15.00 !
    Quote Originally Posted by howiej1 View Post
    Or you can just click the Kinoma Splash Screen when running a movei, etc off of the Net and be takern to the Kinoma page where you can upgrade OTA for $15.00 !
    Yes, thanks to TC I *think* this is the deal I got when I upgraded. You have to run into it accidentally or someone has to tip you off though.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howiej1 View Post

Alright, I'll admit my limitations here...

Can you give me some advice (step by step) on how to get to this splash screen exactly so I can run this upgrade?

TIA
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T View Post
    Alright, I'll admit my limitations here...

Can you give me some advice (step by step) on how to get to this splash screen exactly so I can run this upgrade?

TIA
    Here are some hints, look at them both before you act.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=154
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=164
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    That did it, thanks!

Basically if you have a Treo 700P, go to www.kinoma.com in Blazer using the Treo, then go to Products and click on the Kinoma Player upgrade. (Make sure you don't select Kinoma Producer unless you want to purchase that. It is $14.99 as well, FYI).

In essence you are just buying the product in Blazer with the Treo as opposed to some other way, such as on your laptop or desktop. By doing this you get it for $14.99. You should NOT enter your e-mail when asked the first time (after selecting upgrade) but you should provide it when entering billing information. You will be sent an e-mail when it's purchased along with a registration key, etc.) Included in the e-mail is a link to download the installer PRC and there you go.

In addition, you have the option to install to the Treo OTA, which I did and it worked really well.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Thanks. As a 700p owner, what does this upgrade provide over the built in Kinoma?
    Streaming stuff other than Sprint TV.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1086-1.htm
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T View Post
    That did it, thanks!

Basically if you have a Treo 700P, go to www.kinoma.com in Blazer using the Treo, then go to Products and click on the Kinoma Player upgrade. (Make sure you don't select Kinoma Producer unless you want to purchase that. It is $14.99 as well, FYI).

In essence you are just buying the product in Blazer with the Treo as opposed to some other way, such as on your laptop or desktop. By doing this you get it for $14.99. You should NOT enter your e-mail when asked the first time (after selecting upgrade) but you should provide it when entering billing information. You will be sent an e-mail when it's purchased along with a registration key, etc.) Included in the e-mail is a link to download the installer PRC and there you go.

In addition, you have the option to install to the Treo OTA, which I did and it worked really well.
    You just saved me 10 bucks! thanks!! And this kimona upgrade is AWESOME!

although I keep getting an insufficient bandwidth error and the videos take a WHILE to load and pause for buffering, anyway to remedy this?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cathartic8881 View Post
    You just saved me 10 bucks! thanks!! And this kimona upgrade is AWESOME!

although I keep getting an insufficient bandwidth error and the videos take a WHILE to load and pause for buffering, anyway to remedy this?
    You could start by going into its preferences and ticking the checkbox "prefer download to streaming" and select "external storage" but make sure you have a card with plenty of room on it inserted.. this only works with audio or video material that buffers up before it starts playing, not with live streams..

Generally, the performance you'll get depends on your carrier's signal strength wherever you are, which, unfortunately, you can't control, and you can't see the signal bars while Kinoma Player 4 EX is running (I have been banging on them to put a battery meter, a clock, and a signal strength meter (like the main apps screen, the phone dial pad, Pocket Tunes, and a lot of other apps have..) .. on 4 EX's screen. Hopefully they will do so in a future revision. Write to support@kinoma.com and ask them to do it too.. the more people who write and ask them to implement new features, the more likely they are to do it..

I get better reception and faster loading in my bedroom than in my living room, something I can't account for other than I have a lot of electronics in the living room.. maybe theres some interference.. but both rooms have windows (facing in different directions)..

Sometimes when picking up a prescription at a local pharmacy, I'll sit in a chair near the pick-up counter while the pharmacist does his thing, and I get absolutely ZERO signal bars there.. I mean nothing.. if I have both my Treos with me, I can hear both of them trying and failing to acquire Sprint.. it's like the pharmacy has lead-lined walls or something.. step outside or use their drive-through pick-up window, and I get full bars.. go figure that out..

I run Kinoma Player 4 EX on both my Sprint Treo 700p on Sprint's "PowerVision" EVDO network, and on my Tapwave Zodiac using a SanDisk WiFi card talking to my cable modem through my router. The Zodiac II is getting a much higher data rate, but it has a slower CPU (about 200mhz vs. about 300mhz..) .. than the 700p so the performance of the player is roughly the same on both of them..

All I can say is well.. I said it. Performace varies depending on where you are and how many other people are sharing the nearest cell tower with you. I can actually see a performance drop in mid-afternoon when two nearby schools let out and every freakin' kid opens his or her cell phone and makes calls (or whatever kids do with cell phones..) .. so my bandwidth goes down because many of them must also be on Sprint and eating up bandwidth that I would normally get when they're not using their phones..

But I've used 4 EX for literally hundreds of hours.. sometimes I have it running on my 700p 24/7 (since I also have a 650, I have the luxury of dedicating the 700p to streaming media all day and use the 650 for calls.. having both models is pretty much a requirement due to all the stuff I need to review.. I'd get a 680 too but the last thing I need is another cell phone bill with another carrier.. ) .. I don't run 4 EX on the 650 since the slower 1xRTT network the 650 is on simply isn't built to handle the high data rate that audio and video streaming require..

I don't do a lot of video streaming with 4 EX.. my main use for it is to stream radio stations and OTR (Old Time Radio) streams and podcasts and occasionally as an MP3 player.. but I see that "insufficient bandwidth" message occasionally too.. it's just the nature of the beast and the more cell towers the carriers install, the less it'll be a problem..

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..