1.    #1  
    Since Rogers' has absurdly high data rates, I'd like to know if there's a way to manually disconnect from the internet?

I'm trying out the $5 for 2mb plan, and when I check email, it asks if I want to connect to the internet. How can I disconnect again afterwards?

I've tried turning off the phone, but when I turn it back on, it's still connected to the 'net.

A soft reset works, but seems overkill.

Has anyone found a better way?
    go to prefs - choose network - if your connected there's a disconnect button.

there are some freeware apps that will do this and some shareware ones. I use Hi-launcher for this and other things.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Someone at another forum has posted up a tiny app to do that.

http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/...html#post35772

Hope that helps. And thank for asking the question, because I'm also on Rogers and was concerned about extra downloading... And I still haven't figured out if, when it's connected, what sort of data transfer is going on? Too bad Rogers doesn't have a way to track your data usage in real time (or offset by a couple of days). And the TrafficStat program from Normsoft looks to not support the 680 yet.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks!

Canadian data rates are re-frakken-diculous. I set up a special account which only contains verified emails from work and cuts off at 5kb. My first email 'get' was for 3 days mail, or 91 messages. Some were only 1kb, but it made me think if all of them were 5kb, I would have already used ~450kb, or nearly 1/4 of my entire monthly allotment.

At $0.03 a kb after that, I would swear off the internet for life...

Hence my desire to turn off the network to make sure I don't get a bill for, you know, $K extras...
    Can your employer help with these costs, if they are work related?

I hesitate to ask . . . . . . what is the cost per month of an unlimited plan?
  6.    #6  
    There is no unlimited plan. The "smallest" standard plan is $15 a month for 1.5 mb, +$25 a mb after that. The "biggest" is $100 a month for 200mb, +$5 a mb after.

I showed that to my manager who (rightly) thought it was (information super) highway robbery.

Ref: http://www.shoprogers.com/business/w...ce&cat=2&typ=2
    Quote Originally Posted by chalmers View Post
    ... Too bad Rogers doesn't have a way to track your data usage in real time (or offset by a couple of days). And the TrafficStat program from Normsoft looks to not support the 680 yet.
    But SmaatoCost works fine on the 680, giving almost immediate data usage--each time you disconnect it will give you a reading, and keeps monthly and annual data on a daily basis.
    Thanks mdavis, I'll give it a shot. Free (yet embedded ad supported) is a good price for me!

http://www.smaato.com/cost.php
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    go to prefs - choose network - if your connected there's a disconnect button.

there are some freeware apps that will do this and some shareware ones. I use Hi-launcher for this and other things.
    Hi-launcher and NetSelectDA rocks
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by rener View Post
    Thanks!

Canadian data rates are re-frakken-diculous. I set up a special account which only contains verified emails from work and cuts off at 5kb. My first email 'get' was for 3 days mail, or 91 messages. Some were only 1kb, but it made me think if all of them were 5kb, I would have already used ~450kb, or nearly 1/4 of my entire monthly allotment.

At $0.03 a kb after that, I would swear off the internet for life...

Hence my desire to turn off the network to make sure I don't get a bill for, you know, $K extras...
    If you don't have anything set to use the internet (Versamail scheduled) and you're not in blazer, you're not using data. Just because it's connected doesn't mean it's moving data.
    But he's right to want to turn it off to prevent unanticipated usage. I mistakenly turned on PTunes the other day and used 264Mb of data unknowingly during the day--I think that would be astronomical at Canadian rates.
  12.    #12  
    Yes, exactly. To prevent any pings, auto-updates, or anything else.

264mb = 2640+kb x $0.03 = heart attack...
    There's no auto-updates[*].. Nothing uses data unless you tell it to, such as email, streaming music etc.. You're not going to "accidentally" use data. And unless you have it ask to go online each time, it's not like that would stop anything if it DID auto update, as it would just go online itself.

* Yes, obviously some programs have auto updates. Generally they're turned off, or you should be proactive and turn them off in your situation.

You're really making it sound like being connected to data is spontaneously going to generate network traffic, and it won't. You could try one of the data counting programs and go online doing nothing for an hour, then see what it says. I bet it'll be very close to zero. You're right, there might be some keepalive traffic, but it'd be very small amounts of data.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    .... You're not going to "accidentally" use data. ...
    Famous last words. I guess the answer to that is "speak for yourself." Not everyone is that perfect, and accidents do happen. To you and me, with unlimited US data plans, it is irrelevant. But if you're in Canada paying .02/'kb, it can mount up ASTRONOMICALLY. One safeguard is, in fact, to make sure you have checked off the requirement that you be asked whenever it goes online, but even that can be accidentally answered wrongly. But the idea is to have as many safeguards as possible, and one is to turn off the data connection manually whenever it's necessary.

I'm looking at my records right now, and I used 264 MB of data accidentally on January 27. Something turned on my P Tunes (or perhaps, unknowingly, I didn't turn it of when I thought) and it played internet audio for several hours, and that's all it took. The month or two before I had a 400 MB day, although that day was on purpose.