Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    OK I'm one of those lucky 700p owners who experience very little problems and minimal white screen lag.
    Between the time I leave for work until I get off I usually use 30-45% of my battery life and I play with my Treo a lot.
    But for some weird reason in the matter of 15 minutes my battery went complete empty. The last time I checked it there was at least 70% left. WTF!
    I really hope this isn't a sign of the future for my Treo!
    I'm not really sure, but something like that can happen if you were in an area where the Treo could not access the network. It could wear itself down searching for a signal, or, it may have been caused by a network problem where the same thing can occur. If it only happened once, I wouldn't worry...
    Copernicus is correct -- in an area of low or no service -- the Treo radio continually searches for better service -- and drains the battery in no time. If you were not traveling thru such an area -- it is possible that a local tower went out of service and you were in a dead zone for awhile.

However, 70% in 15 minutes is way beyond the above scenario -- the above drain would take 2+ hours to drain 70%. (TURN PHONE OFF in no service areas to prevent this drain.)

As C said -- keep an eye on things -- if it was a one time shot -- no biggie.

If it happens again -- it could be a software glitch or a hardware glitch -- and there is a method to determine that. . . . . a clean install process. . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...22&postcount=5
    Just insert "700P" where the directions say "650" . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/07/2007 at 04:50 PM.
    I've seen crazy battery drain when the data connection gets stuck (arrows stay green forever), a Palm OS phenomenon that goes back to the 600. Programs can trigger it at different times for no reason so you just have to look out for it.

That might have been the case. I know older versions of 4cast to have caused that if you didn't disconnect after refresh, Xiino can cause it very easily and even Chatter had a period of data drain issues.

But yeah 70% in 15 minutes still seems like too much even for crazy data drain.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    I've seen crazy battery drain when the data connection gets stuck (arrows stay green forever), a Palm OS phenomenon that goes back to the 600. Programs can trigger it at different times for no reason so you just have to look out for it.

That might have been the case. I know older versions of 4cast to have caused that if you didn't disconnect after refresh, Xiino can cause it very easily and even Chatter had a period of data drain issues.

But yeah 70% in 15 minutes still seems like too much even for crazy data drain.

If you see this stuck data connection situation. . . . . . go System>Prefs>Network>Disconnect
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/07/2007 at 05:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Yea it seems to be a one time event i recharged it and everything is running as normal. But you should have seen my eyes when I found out my battery was dead, it think they were the size of grapefruit, I was getting ready for the PPR!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    Yea it seems to be a one time event i recharged it and everything is running as normal. But you should have seen my eyes when I found out my battery was dead, it think they were the size of grapefruit, I was getting ready for the PPR!

The PPR is always open to one and all.

(Your join date says Feb 2007, were you lurking during my Jan thru Jun 2006 incarceration?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    (Your join date says Feb 2007, were you lurking during my Jan thru Jun 2006 incarceration?)
    Did I miss something???
    Another place I've seen massive battery drain is when you are in a building with cellular repeaters. The signal strength is full, but for some reason the battery goes really fast. It was on the order of 70% in an hour so that is still out of line of what you saw.
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    The other day I had read this thread, and shortly after that I picked up my 700p and noted it was hot. I was at work and at my desk it occasionally slips between verizon and extended network, but usually is verizon. It showed that the 2400mah battery was at 2/3 charge when it should have been much higher, it constantly showed extended network, and the red light was on a lot. I didn't think much of it until a few hours later at home. I usually have full bars on verizon at my house but it was now still on extended network, was still hot and the battery was nearly dead. My wifes phone showed full bars. OK - so then I tried internet apps (chatter, web, etc) that should not have worked on extended network - but they worked fine. I ended up doing a soft reset and that fixed it. There is apparently some bug which creates a condition where it thinks it has extended network when it doesn't, and runs the battery dead trying to get back to verizon.