Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sad as it is, this will be my last post as I have officially given up on my 700P and the Palm platform. The inability of Palm to fix the fundamental problems with this phone (lags, white screens, constand resets, sub-standard bluetooth) while at the same time bringing multiple new products to the market is inexcusable.

I have switched to a Blackberry 8703e from Sprint and can't believe the difference. Intelligent software design, rock solid performance, bluetooth that instantly connects and recognizes the difference between my car and headset, and wonderful wireless synch of mail, calendar, contacts, and tasks. Plus, the 8703e also has native GPS built in so that with an add-on app (Telenav) I have a full functioning GPS unit that works in the car and while walking around the city.

Some will complain about the lack of 3rd party software, but the key items I need for business are all here: solid email, viewing attachments, great phone, integrated address book, tasks that allow me to use David Allen's getting things done approach (with a 3rd party piece of sw called nextaction), web, and splashid.

All this in a form factor that is lighter and thinner than the treo, has a far better screen and is only slightly wider. No antenna and a bit shorter in height.

You can see from my profile that I have been using Treos since the first 600 and Palms since 1994. After a week with this blackberry, I can't imagine going back, especially given the business practices and direction Palm is clearly taking.

Best of luck to those who stick with it. Perhaps someday the ROM update will come in. For those on Sprint, call retention and get them to help you dump your Treo and try out the 8703.
    yeah it is amazing how much ALL other smartphones surpass the treo in reliability, functionality, & ease of use. treo=lame
    thr-
    I have both blackberry 8700c (for corporate email and other stuff) and treo 700p (for personal email and phone) and agree with your assessment. I used to have a 7203, and now that I got the 8700 everyday I get closer to letting go of my treo. The blackberry just does its job better and with less frustration, but it also has its limitations. I love using my blackberry since it is so reliable and easier to type on, even though I do find myself missing some random treo functionality (threaded sms, favorites, etc). But to me, being able to do the important, everyday functions well and not much else is more important than doing everything but no so well.

The new 8800, when it comes out on the 20th, will make an even bigger dent in the treo's comparative advantage. A blackberry with the 8800's features that also has 3G (or evdo), wifi, and a camera (all features in certain blackberry models but not all in one) will be the treo's death knell.
    thr61:

I made the same exact switch you made several months ago. I switched to the 8703e on the Verizon network, and it's a pleasure to have a device that works perfectly 100% of the time.

Awesome screen, e-mail machine, internet browsing, rock solid operating system! The only thing I miss are a few of the multimedia enhancements that are on the Palm / Treo. But honestly, it's a nice peace of mind having a device that doesn't require constent attention pertaining to problems all the time.

The Blackberry is a superior device by far. Maybe one day, Palm / Treo will wake-up, and do the right thing for it's customer base, but from what I see they are not interested!

Matt
    I have the latest Blackberry, through work. I only use it for the corporate email and playing Brickbreaker.

Yeah, it's a solid device. But, no memory card is a big obstacle for me. I wish it had a camera, as I do snap some pics from time to time, I don't like the browser.

It is rock solid stable.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    If I said anything in this thread . . . . . well, let's just leave it at there are always two sides to every story. . . . . . . not discounting the points made above. . . . . . . just stating that my experience has been different.

Just thought I would pop in and say hi.

Cheers, Perry.
    So I still don't get the whole Blackberry thing with the email being sooo "godlyke" on this device. Do you have to subscribe to an additional service to get your email? Is there some email server involved? I use Versamail with a POP account on the 700p and it's just fine. What's the deal on a Blackberry?
    Opps -- thought it, but didn't say it. . .

Stick around thr61 !! Many here are on other devices. . . cross pollination is a good thing.

Cheers, Perry.
    - Push email for years while Palm has vainly promised it over that time.
    - No Versamail problem where it gets in a state where it downloads every email you deleted no matter how many times. Then have to come here to find a workaround.
    - An OS which will not get hosed up and prevent you from getting emails in a timely manner.

Since you use POP email like me, you are probably just using it for personal email. If these guys are primarily using their device for work to send and receive time-critical information. Especially if it risks their job and livelihood.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Well, sometimes less is more but, my experience with the 700p has also been quite different.
    Good luck thr61 with your new toy. I'm in the same boat as you, but Im going back in time with a Samsung i600. The Treo 700p is a nightmare for me.

Quote Originally Posted by thr61 View Post
    I have switched to a Blackberry 8703e from Sprint and can't believe the difference. Intelligent software design, rock solid performance, bluetooth that instantly connects and recognizes the difference between my car and headset, and wonderful wireless synch of mail, calendar, contacts, and tasks. Plus, the 8703e also has native GPS built in so that with an add-on app (Telenav) I have a full functioning GPS unit that works in the car and while walking around the city.
    You gotta go with what works best for you. Sounds like you've found something that works well for your needs.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Just to be fair. This issue:
    - An OS which will not get hosed up and prevent you from getting emails in a timely manner.
    definitely affects the blackberries as well though admittedly, not as often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Stick around thr61 !! Many here are on other devices. . . cross pollination is a good thing.
    I agree. The community here is pretty good, IMO, and I enjoy hearing experiences from other device users.

I remember over a year ago RIM saying they wanted to challenge Palm and MS and I thought there is no way given all of the capabilities of POS and WM. Now seeing what RIM is coming out with and how many people do not seem to mind the lack of a touch screen, I think RIM stands a fighting chance. Palm is certainly not stepping up to the plate. I just hope they come out with something soon. With WM6 about to come out and new RIM devices all the time, POS may only have us geeks left, and I don't know if that's a big enough customer base.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Congrats to you thr61. I can't wait till my better device comes along (iphone) and till I ditch palm for good. I'm glad you found a better device.
    That is my always wish . . . . that everyone finds THEIR gadget-dom HOLY GRAIL. . . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by thr61 View Post
    All this in a form factor that... has a far better screen...
    Actually, this is (the only thing you wrote that) isn't true...

The Blackberry's screen resoultion is only 320x240, while the Treo's is 320x320; if it weren't for that difference, plus the camera on the Treo, I too would switch to the 8703.
    The longer Palm delays into "Q1" in getting the alleged update out to 700p users, the more this will be happening. Don't know if Palm has figured this out yet.

Kinda sad that you don't really hear the words Palm and loyal in the same sentence anymore without the modifiers formerly or used to be.

My 700 has become more stable since I removed many of the 3rd party apps I'd installed, many of which I used regularly and still miss (I can now use my browser which I had given up on due to white screens followed invariably by resets - if I needed to check something online I'd wait to find a desktop, completely defeating the purpose of having wireless Treo access). I have to either use alternate, less functional apps, workarounds or do without the functionality altogether. But what galls me is that if I wanted a smartphone on which I can't install apps (or as many) I'd have purchased a Blackberry.

Hmmmmm....

This can only work in RIM's and Apple's favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    The longer Palm delays into "Q1" in getting the alleged update out to 700p users, the more this will be happening...
    Totally agree there, but this is the way market share is lost. Palm appears to be paralyzed with so much going on. I'm sure they are doing their best but, it's a small company, and by the time the smoke lifts, there's no telling where they will be. Rather than putting out so many new devices they need to stabilize those that they have out on the market. There's nothing like a reputation for bugginess to drive everyone away.
    Last edited by copernicus; 02/07/2007 at 04:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    sell out
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast