Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Opps -- thought it, but didn't say it. . .

Stick around thr61 !! Many here are on other devices. . . cross pollination is a good thing.

Cheers, Perry.
    Definitely stick around and keep us informed of what your experience is like! Maybe you'll infect the rest of us, maybe you (like others) will give Palm an honest snapshot, or maybe you'll come crawling back (in which case, we'll welcome you back with open arms)!

I am saddened at the lack of stability of my 700p, but I couldnt go without the flexibility. I am, too, running into things that make me consider other devices (instead of spending hundreds of dollars on software to fix what should be standard)...like the limit on numbers and addresses per contact, lack of Wifi (if a tungsten can have it supported, why not a Treo), and the bluetooth radio that is a fathom behind what you would find on a free phone! While WinMo fixes a few of these caveats, the hardware is hardly different.

But I will stick it out...until the ROM update. If that is subpar, then I will write the Palm OS off and jump to WinMo. (I cant believe I am saying that!)
    unfortunately, i am making th same switch this afternoon, i have always been a palm os fan, i even started back with the kyocera 7000 something or other flip (the one with the caller id screen on top, that feature was greatness). the 700p with verizon has been nothing but trouble for me. i have been through 3 of them and they all have the same errors. i hate to be leaving the palm platform, but the 700p just isn't it. hopefully palm will get things together and release a new phone that can compete with the iPhone and the bb 8800. i would have to see them and platform die.
    I haven't had many issues with my 700P as of late. The problem I had with it resetting when I'm on a call and another call comes in hasn't happened for a very long time, neither have the bluetooth problems, and I've never had problems with email.

With the additions of 2day, chattermail, and Treomemo, I'm loving my treo more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by petesamprs View Post
    thr-
    The new 8800, when it comes out on the 20th, will make an even bigger dent in the treo's comparative advantage. A blackberry with the 8800's features that also has 3G (or evdo), wifi, and a camera (all features in certain blackberry models but not all in one) will be the treo's death knell.
    8800 sound very promising but why no memory card slot?? even low end cellphones have mem card slots?
    You can't install hacks on the crackberry. If you remove your hacks from your 700p it will run perfectly. The blackberry has about 1/10th the functionality of the Treo. I know I have one for work and hate the POS.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  6. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I have a 8700c. The Blackberry OS is one of the worst UI's I've ever seen. The browser is close to unusable. Ok, so it doesn't reset as often, but BB devices (including mine) are usually terrible phones (for voice). Most people *have* to use a bluetooth headset to be heard. Don't get me started on the email/calendar syncing issues; I've been burned once too often.

I agree that PalmOS is showing it's age. But it's still easier to use than most stuff out there. The 700p is the best PalmOS phone out there; it's more stable than the 650 for me. I have occasional lag issues, but not often (and mostly with Blazer)
    The more people that leave Palm behind, the better. Maybe Palm will see this and actually start fixing things and innovating again.
    Goodluck. I have some friends with blackberries. They ONLY seem to use it for email & text messaging. They get ticked when I start playing Nintendo on mine. Go figure.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I too am getting "antsy" waiting for Palm to address some issues (my biggest problem is with bluetooth).

Everyday there's more and more competition (great for the consumers obviously) .... I'm actually waiting for the Win Mobile 6 OS to make an appearance and am considering a Q with Sprint.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trragtops View Post
    8800 sound very promising but why no memory card slot?? even low end cellphones have mem card slots?
    It has a Micro SD slot.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/smartphon...too-205743.php
    Quote Originally Posted by gijohn View Post
    I too am getting "antsy" waiting for Palm to address some issues (my biggest problem is with bluetooth).

Everyday there's more and more competition (great for the consumers obviously) .... I'm actually waiting for the Win Mobile 6 OS to make an appearance and am considering a Q with Sprint.
    I have been a loyal palm fan since my treo 600 days, but owning a 700p is really killin' me. Some days it works ok, But more times than not it doesn't perform like it's supposed to so other phones are looking more appealing to me now. I figure I'll wait for the update and if all my problems are not addressed then i will migrate to another device--maybe even the dark side--!!?
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    How much are the blackberry plans these days with Sprint? Can you still get away with using a normal powervision plan, or did they finally stop that.

I liked my 7250- and after owning a wx for a few months I am getting tempted to get a phone that is not a hobby. (then in another 6 months, Ill want the hobby again!)
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    i have a loyalty issue and need help. Why I put up with missing a call while my 700P sits there and I cannot get to it. The lag is horrible, I have adjusted and just know it is going to happen but I too am looking for something else. I may just keep it until the iPhone.

Off subject but T-Mobile hosed me big-time with not disclosing how they charge for data while roaming in Europe. I went to a lot of trouble to limit the size of incoming email and have a spam filter at the server level. In 17 days, I got whacked for $690! It turns out they charge for multiple recipients and have no documentation or knowledge at the CSR leavel to disclose that little tidbit. After numerous emails and wasted time with CSR's they maintain it was valid and refuse to show any detail. I have never sued anyone in 45 years of business and really want some sleazy attorney to file a class action suit. I was loyal to them since their introduction in this country.
    Never underestimate the power of freedom!

Treo 600, 650, 700P and now 755P.
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    How much are the blackberry plans these days with Sprint? Can you still get away with using a normal powervision plan, or did they finally stop that.

I liked my 7250- and after owning a wx for a few months I am getting tempted to get a phone that is not a hobby. (then in another 6 months, Ill want the hobby again!)
    No, Blackberry plans are $40 a month. The Power Vision plans will not allow you to utilize the full functionality of the Blackberry (push e-mail, BIS, etc).

It's your call though. I am currently going through the same Treo/Blackberry debate on my first smart phone purchase.

I have found that people either really like one or the other device.

I am finding in my research that you will either like one or the other.

Jesse
    One of my best buddies has a GSM BB; I've got a CDMA 700P. It's like someone said...if all you want is email and a borderline browser, the BB is more stable....but he gets all misty when he sees what the Treo can do. And I still just don't get why some people have so much trouble with their Treos and many, like myself, have very rare problems. Mine is very solid, with a reset maybe once a month and no lag at all. Maybe it's a hardware crapshoot....
    As soon as the BB 8800 is released on Verizon I will be dumping Treo's forever.
    I have owned every treo since the 600, and I am tired of being a beta tester for a company that couldnt care less. BB has the reputation of not only supporting their products, but actually testing them before release.
    To those people who argue that the BB dosent do all the things that the 700P
    does; did you look at the features of the 8800? Ok your right, it dosent have as many third party programs, But it doesnt need them JUST to work as advertised.
    I will be thrilled to hockey-puck my unreliable, non bluetooth, lousy battery life, count to three them use it, unsupported, POS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtecIT View Post
    As soon as the BB 8800 is released on Verizon I will be dumping Treo's forever.
    I have owned every treo since the 600, and I am tired of being a beta tester for a company that couldnt care less. BB has the reputation of not only supporting their products, but actually testing them before release.
    To those people who argue that the BB dosent do all the things that the 700P
    does; did you look at the features of the 8800? Ok your right, it dosent have as many third party programs, But it doesnt need them JUST to work as advertised.
    I will be thrilled to hockey-puck my unreliable, non bluetooth, lousy battery life, count to three them use it, unsupported, POS.
    Tell me how you really feel I think I will be dumping my 700p for either the BB8800 or the ppc6800. Good thing is that since I work for Sprint I won't have to pay for any of the BB extra costs
    I just finished removing all except about three 3rd party apps from my 700p. Well guess what? It's faster and so far more stable. But you know what else? This makes it FAR easier for me to migrate to a new device that is not a Treo (or even another Palm).

Is this what Palm wants? Somehow I don't think so, but if they insist on blaming users' woes on 3rd party apps instead of fixing their own bugs, this is the extreme extension of that logic. Apologies to Palm app developers, but if I stop installing these apps, then I also stop buying them. Pruss, CESD, Tam Hanna, Dmitry, Natara, et al don't deserve this. As others have mentioned before me, Palm offers these same 3rd party apps via their own website.

I started this uninstall process a few days ago and already miss the functionality - BlueMoon, DailyQuote, DB6, WordSmith, FontSmoother, Audible, BeCrossword, Bonsai, DayNotez, CardReader, CuckooClock, just to name a few (I generally had about 2MB free so there were quite a few other apps removed). If I can get used to this and give up the logging, gaming, reading, writing, listening, etc., that I did with my Treo, it will be a no-brainer to switch to another device (I'm also out of contract with Sprint).

Hello, Palm? Are you guys awake up there? But at least you're all over that WM6.
    Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    I just finished removing all except about three 3rd party apps from my 700p. Well guess what? It's faster and so far more stable.
    Isn't it possible that maybe just one of those apps was causing your problems? I have a TON of stuff on my 700p and find it extremely stable as long as I run the latest versions of things. I imagine other OS's are just as buggy if you run poorly coded applications.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Isn't it possible that maybe just one of those apps was causing your problems? I have a TON of stuff on my 700p and find it extremely stable as long as I run the latest versions of things. I imagine other OS's are just as buggy if you run poorly coded applications.

there must be something going on that is deeper than just buggy apps or bad hardware. i see alot of people, for example, having problems with Chattermail but just as many people saying its perfectly stable. i can get a pretty stable install but after a day or 2 it seems to degenerate into increasingly frequent soft resets finally leading me to do a hard reset.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast