1.    #1  
    I'm planning to get a 680 soon so that I won't need to carry a phone and PDA. I don't really need to use the 680 for much in the way of email or net surfing, except when I travel (a couple times a year). FYI - I work for a university that uses Outlook and I have access via VPN from all of my computers.

So what do you suggest? I don't want to spend $39+ a month for service I don't need. I plan to synch the 680 with one or more computers to keep contacts, schedule, etc up to date. Can I access email or the internet if I don't have a data plan? I don't mind paying for those few times when I travel and don't have WiFi access.
    unless you need push email - use a medianet bundle. cingular won't sell it to you this way though.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    unless you need push email - use a medianet bundle. cingular won't sell it to you this way though.
    Hello fellow Treo users! I just got my first Treo off Ebay last week (Cingular version) and Cingular pushed me the 39.99 unlimited data. I took that in stride, then a few days later went to my on line Cingular account and changed it to Media Max 200 which basically gets me unlimited Media net access and 200 messages. I heard of other people trying to sign up for this with their sales reps and they didn't succeed, but looks like the online change would do the trick.

Now I wonder: would Cingular know that I"m using a Treo (ie. a PDA not a smartphone given their language) and start charging me insane per use amounts?? Anybody else is using a Media Max 200 or 1000 with unlimited internet without any problems from Cingular?

~Spyder
    I got my Treo a couple of months ago with the PDA Unlimited package, and was considering whether MediaNet would do the job. I just found one really good reason to stick with the PDA plan which does not seem to be documented in many places. Specifically, I was able to create a new Network profile that logged into ISP.CINGULAR with user ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM and this has given me two things that did not work with the MediaNet profile. I can now login securely to various non-WAP web sites that did not work with the MediaNet WAP profile, for example I can now sign in to the standard ebay site without problems. Also, it gives me accelerated pages (reducing the graphics quality) which MediaNet does not do. So basically by changing the profile to the non-WAP ISP with Data Acceleration I am getting faster more functional web pages compared to MediaNet.
    Quote Originally Posted by no-cure View Post
    Cingular know that I"m using a Treo (ie. a PDA not a smartphone given their language) and start charging me insane per use amounts?? Anybody else is using a Media Max 200 or 1000 with unlimited internet without any problems from Cingular?

~Spyder
    Yes. I changed mine online to the mediamax200 and they switched on the pay as you go without notifying me and tried to charge me over $200 worth of data. Needless to say I did not end up paying that. But now I am back on the unlimited pda connect.

Their logic is BS as far as I'm concerned. Why would they allow me to change the data service if my phone/pda is not eligible for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    yeah true.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstreo View Post
    Yes. I changed mine online to the mediamax200 and they switched on the pay as you go without notifying me and tried to charge me over $200 worth of data. Needless to say I did not end up paying that. But now I am back on the unlimited pda connect.

Their logic is BS as far as I'm concerned. Why would they allow me to change the data service if my phone/pda is not eligible for it?
    So why didn't you just have them turn off the PPU?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    So why didn't you just have them turn off the PPU?
    They would not do that. They said it was because a treo could not be used with the mediamax or smartphone plans. So basically, the choices are PPU or unlimited.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstreo View Post
    They would not do that. They said it was because a treo could not be used with the mediamax or smartphone plans. So basically, the choices are PPU or unlimited.
    Call back, maybe the next one will fix it.. Or do as I did; get on the online account manager, remove the PDA plan, add the MEdia Max plan of your choice. If you get an error doing that (I did), click the button to do an online chat with a CSR. They fixed the problem for me.

Just be polite, and if you get the wrong response, thank them, call back.