Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm View Post
    No, but if you wait until June, there will be a ton of them for sale, mine included...
    Sorry for being clueless, but what happens in June?
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I believe they're referring to the iPhone which is due out in June.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  3.    #43  
    The iPhone in my opinion is another Sidekick. I don't see a mass exodus from Sprint, Verizon, etc to Cingular (AT&T Wireless soon) in order to get this thing.

I'm not saying the iPhone is doomed for failure, but I just can't see it becoming a business class device like the Treo and Blackberry have.
    Quote Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
    Hi:

I am a potential new user considering a Treo 700p (Sprint).

Considering the time I have spent on here reading thread after thread regarding bugs on the Treo 700p, is it still a recommended buy?

I am just torn between the Palm device and paying a service plan premium for that pesky little device from Research in Motion. However, I don't need the push technology and the Treo would suit me as a better phone.

I understand the benefits and pitfalls from buying each, but the premium is negated if I have to shelf my $600 phone and get an 8703e, right?

Right now, I am leaning towards the Blackberry but it looks like a patch is in the works and hopefully will cure the major problems Palm OS Treo users have been experiencing.

Thanks.

Short Answer = NO!!!

As a Palm Lifer (only went to the windows side once), but I'm back! Nothing but issues. I wouldn't be so bitter if they offered up some sort service credit or rebate credit to offset the high cost of the phone.

They are putting out a $600 phone originally, and it has "known" errors in critical consumer use aspects. Why is there currnely not a class action suit on this? Why are rebates rainain down us for help.

Don't get me wrong, it has upside if they'd get if fixed. I love the phone and t]posiibilities.....it just doesn't function too well at this point for my taste.
  5.    #45  
    I am 99.99999% sure I am going to get a Treo. I just don't need the Push e-mail capability of the Crackberry to warrant paying $40 month extra for the data plan.

Now the sticking point is a case. I want to protect the thing but I have always been, am and always will prefer to carry my phones in my pocket. I want a leather one since I never have liked rubber cases and the best skins ever just doesn't appeal to me.

I will mull around with the search function through the billion "what case should I buy?" threads and maybe if I get frustrated enough post the billionth + 1 thread. The case, like the Treo will prolly be another three week decision process .
    Yup. Love my 700P. Sure it has a couple of bugs. For me, the only problems I have are the bluetooth randomly disconnecting with the headset and a lag in sms once. in a while. I have no reset problems. For all the capabilities it has, I would not trade it for anything else.
    Yes.

I've had my 700p for about two months and have had zero problems. I've just started using Bluetooth and so far no problems with sync or my Plantronics 320 headset...it's early days for BT though...

OT, but I bought my wife a Red Razr for V-Day and we're both blown away by the voice-dial capability. I'm shocked that I can't do this with my 700p.
    I thought you can do this with the 700p...but it's an extra application to buy and install.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I love my 700P too. I started with a 600 and love the palm OS because if it has not been writen yet it soon will be. And cheaper than other OSes.
    One thing I really hate about my Treo is that everything has to be added in as a 3rd party app but then if you install them and you get instability everybody blames them on the 3rd party apps you are required to install since the POS doesn't come with anything.

For instance, you need an unzipper app, an FTP app, a media player app, an alarm app, an app that allows for MP3 ringers, a more powerful browser, and a voice command app. For a "modern" smart phone that is really crappy. My wifes 6700 (as crappy as it is) has all that stuff built into the phone. You don't need to buy any 3rd party stuff because its already there.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I too am pretty happy with my Treo 700p and wouldn't change my decision to buy it. I spent several months using an I730 MS device and grew to dislike it - endless resets. Yes, the bluetooth issue irritates me, but from what I read in the forums here, the 750 and 700w have their own issues.
    But I do like the fact that I can customize me Treo by Zlauncher with a nice "Today" screen, as well as launching just about anything from its own button with LudusP. Theres just so many ways to make the Palm version look and do exactly what I want, how can I not be satisfied?
  12.    #52  
    Maybe when the OS is revamped, they will put more into the feature package, removing the need for many of the 3rd party apps.

Since iPhone is making such commotion in the smart phone market, this may push any Linux version of a Palm OS to new levels.
    Last edited by jessep28; 02/11/2007 at 01:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
    Maybe when the OS is revamped, they will put more into the feature package, removing the need for many of the 3rd party apps.

Since iPhone is making such commotion in the smart phone market, this may push any Linux version of a Palm OS to new levels.
    Isn't that the beauty of the Palm OS? There are literally hundreds (probably thousands) of Palm programs. Sure, there are some conflicts and poorly written ones, but you can find something for almost any need. I've already seen criticism of the iPhone because the OS is closed-source and third-party apps will be few and far between.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    One thing I really hate about my Treo is that everything has to be added in as a 3rd party app but then if you install them and you get instability everybody blames them on the 3rd party apps you are required to install since the POS doesn't come with anything.

For instance, you need an unzipper app, an FTP app, a media player app, an alarm app, an app that allows for MP3 ringers, a more powerful browser, and a voice command app. For a "modern" smart phone that is really crappy. My wifes 6700 (as crappy as it is) has all that stuff built into the phone. You don't need to buy any 3rd party stuff because its already there.
    Some of these complaint are ridiculous.

It comes with the best mp3 app, what possibly can you buy that plays mp3 better than pTunes? And yes Snappermail can unzip files when you downlad them. The media play back app is free; and I don't see why anyone can't use the calendar as an regular alarm app. About ftp...well XP and OSX doesn't come with one either. It's just not a popular file transfer method anymore.

If you complain that the Treo is missing standard cellphone apps like voice recognition and fansy animated caller ID, yes you have a point. Yeah sure WM phone comes with alot of features. And if you use windows day to day, you know they works...sort of, if you don't mind babysitting them. It's a matter of personal taste.

Plus 6700 came out before 700p. If additional features are that important to you, you should have brought the 6700 to begin with. You know what I am saying?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Some of these complaint are ridiculous.

It comes with the best mp3 app, what possibly can you buy that plays mp3 better than pTunes?
    pTunes can't play MP3s without them skipping

And yes Snappermail can unzip files when you downlad them.
    Snappermail doesn't come with the 700p that is a 3rd party (expensive) app. WM comes with an unzipper for free.

The media play back app is free; and I don't see why anyone can't use the calendar as an regular alarm app.
    Calendar app can do alarms but it really sucks at it. So I guess you are technically right... sort of.

About ftp...well XP and OSX doesn't come with one either. It's just not a popular file transfer method anymore.
    Wow, OS X (since forever), Windows (since forever), and WM all come with an FTP client of some sort. Sure in Windows and WM its IE but it works in a pinch. Why can't Blazer support FTP? And if you think FTP isn't popular you don't know what you are talking about.

If you complain that the Treo is missing standard cellphone apps like voice recognition and fansy animated caller ID, yes you have a point. Yeah sure WM phone comes with alot of features. And if you use windows day to day, you know they works...sort of, if you don't mind babysitting them. It's a matter of personal taste.

Plus 6700 came out before 700p. If additional features are that important to you, you should have brought the 6700 to begin with. You know what I am saying?
    Thats true - but I made the mistake of thinking that the 700p was feature equivalent to WM and didn't get a chance to use a WM device until after the 30 day trial of my 700p.

Hell, I didn't even mention the lack of support for ActiveSync since a patch was just release (almost a year after the phone shipped). Or the fact that VersaMail is so bad/laggy/buggy that you are almost required to buy a different 3rd party email application so your phone doesn't hang when switching to the phone app.

But, to throw Palm a bone - POS is easier to use and navigate. Especially one handed. I'm not saying that the 700p is worthless - its just lacks a lot of features that should be standard (MP3 ringers, skipless MP3 playback, unzipper app, FTP support, and a device that will function while searching for a wireless signal). I think that if Palm really tried they could be the top dog again - its just obvious that they've gotten lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    pTunes can't play MP3s without them skipping
    I haven't had that problem except first few weeks of owning the 700p. I don't remember how I fix it. Maybe formating the 4gb SD card in large allocation size?

Snappermail doesn't come with the 700p that is a 3rd party (expensive) app. WM comes with an unzipper for free.
    I am sorry. I meant the build in versamail or whatever you call it. i never used any 3rd party mail program actually. You can unzip small zip file if its mailed to you as an attachment. I am pretty sure blazer can do that too. I have install prc app over the air in that way.

Calendar app can do alarms but it really sucks at it. So I guess you are technically right... sort of.
    I disagree. It's a decent program. It work as much as an alarm work app need to work.

Wow, OS X (since forever), Windows (since forever), and WM all come with an FTP client of some sort. Sure in Windows and WM its IE but it works in a pinch. Why can't Blazer support FTP? And if you think FTP isn't popular you don't know what you are talking about.
    You meant the ftp function build into window exploror? How many casual users know they exist and how many actual ftp users use those as their default ftp app? It's like using the build in windows image viewer. Any rate I will give you that WM has ftp support as one of its bullet point.

Thats true - but I made the mistake of thinking that the 700p was feature equivalent to WM and didn't get a chance to use a WM device until after the 30 day trial of my 700p.
    Give me a break. Palm was never known to be swiss army knives of the PDA world. Windows PDA (Jordana, remember those?) had mp3 playback long before the Palm PDA supported it. So are most of the other fancy functions.

I am not saying your complaint has no merit. I am saying why beat a dead horse when Palm was never aiming for the direction you wanted? Sure you can complain Toyota doesn't make cars sporty enough. But Toyota is never going to make a sporty car anyway, why buy a Toyota?
    So you have to install some extra apps, oh my god, the horror. I LIKE how barebones POS is out of the box. It let's me add what I want rather than wasting space & menus on a bunch of crap I'll never use. how many people actually use FTP on their phones? That's a very specialized need, 99% of users will never need that. Do you REALLY need push email? Why not just extend your thumb 2 millimeters and press "get"? That's what I do.

I cannot wait for the iPhone. Why? So I can witness the mass exodus of treo users who clog up forums with "I hate my treo!" threads. I know venting is therapeutic & all, but jeez, give it a rest once in a while. You hate your treo so much? Its so inadequate for your needs? It sucks WM's taint?

Go buy a different phone. Simple as that. And then when you're frustrated by the lack of the very same 3rd party apps that you cried so loudly about having to install, and when you make the 30th typo in a 2-sentence email on your iPhone, you'll realize you had it pretty sweet with your treo.

Not trying to be a prickly pear, but come ON guys. Lighten up a little. nobody's forcing you to keep your Treo. if its that bad, get something else, don't sit around & gripe like my grandma.

the iphone IS going to be another sidekick. I can't wait.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
  18.    #58  
    the iphone IS going to be another sidekick. I can't wait.
    I completely agree with you there. I think people who think of the Treo as a fancy phone rather than a productivity tool will beneift most from iPhone.

Anyways,

Has anyone who bought their Treos from Palm had any issues with their carriers in terms of future support (e.g., insurance claims, carrier questions) since they wern't bought from the carrier's store?

I know that the carrier more than likely just forwards a customer order to Palm who ships to them. But I am trying to avoid sales tax, shipping and giving someone at Sprint a commission.

I guess a better way of putting it would be to ask if buying from Palm is the same to the carrier as buying it from their retail store/site?
    Hi jessep28!

One would assume that there would be no difference and there very well not be any difference. I have always suscribed to the "Buy from the hand that feeds you theory." in this regard. I try to develop and maintain relationships with in store personnel and/or managers. And when I did buy my Sprint 700p thru retentions, I let the store have first crack at it -- and they understood how I could not pass up a deal they could not match.

So, I would check with the store and see what kind of deal they can work -- give them a chance to meet or beat the deal -- they will appreciate it and you have formed the basis for future conversations.

I would also deal with a store that is a company store or franchise store --- not a mall kiosk or a store front that is just a glorified mall kiosk. The personnel turn over too fast at the kiosks and there goes your time and effort. . . .
  20.    #60  
    I have to buy the phone outright, so the Palm & Sprint prices are the same. The big thing for me is avoiding sales tax.

I have generally had terrible customer service at the stores in my metro area.

Also, everytime I go in there, they push me to add a new line of service. I am a single user and my dog doesn't need a phone, so why do I need two lines?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast