Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Uneqouivically Yes... even moreso than my 650 which I loved but had flaws.

700p is much better than I expected. much more than the slight upgrade I expected.

Cannot live without it
    I wouldn't. I've been steering my friends and family away from the 700p, in part because of all the issues it has and in part because the Palm OS is (sadly) a dead operating system now.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    I would get one if:
    1. You aren't going to want to listen to MP3s on your device
    2. You aren't going to use bluetooth
    3. You want to leave an app, come back and start over
    4. You don't mind the occasional lags

If those things aren't important to you, then yes, get one.

I'm on my 3rd 700p. First one had serious lag/hang issues (hardware related). The second had a bad keyboard and screen. I'm hoping my third isn't a piece of crap like the first two. Luckily, I have TEP and I don't have to worry about replacing it at cost.
    Everyone has his/her own experience and I'm sorry zelet has had a bad one. But, as for me, I have a 700P and I:

1. Listen to MP3s and streaming audio all the time.
    2. Used bluetooth.
    3. Use a whole slew of DAs so I seldom have to leave an app to perform some other function.
    4. Have lags of probably 1 - 1.5 seconds on the high side between swithcing apps.

I've been tempted by the PPC and now the BlackJack but I still stick with the 700P partly because I love being able to find a 3rd party app to do just about anything I might want to do on a PDA phone. Furthermore, new and interesting apps are coming out all the time for this "dead operating system" so I see no need to jump ship any time in the near future.
    Every issue has two sides -- I do not see the PalmOS as dead. From the sheer standpoint that it is too big a franchise to allow to die. If the PalmOS is a dead OS, how is it that any 700Ps have been sold? The 700w came out first. Yes, the 700w was memory challenged -- but the 700wx is out now and the 700P is still here.

I believe we will see the Palm/Linux OS this year. (The vitality of that release will determine if the PalmOS is dead.) Palm cannot let it's shareholders down by walking away from such a passionate consumer base and third party software providing industry. I have faith, that there will be this incarnation of the PalmOS and that it will have vitality. This day has been coming since the moment Palm decided that Cobalt was dead. So yes, Cobalt died -- but not the PalmOS.

(One view from the PPR.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I have faith...
    Yes, Perry, we know.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    Yes, Perry, we know.
    LOL
    There were only a couple worth while smartphones came out since 700p. A couple touchscreen-less short-battery slim WM phones (Dash, Q and Blackjack) and a blackberry. None of them competes with the 700p directly. And none of them offer what's most important to me, 3rd party apps and SD card slot.

I would pick the 700p again. Unless the 680 is at lease 100 cheaper, then I may consider that. The Dash is not bad btw.

edit: The only thing that **** me off royally is the 2.5mm jack, god knows how many 2.5mm->3.5mm adopters I have lost. I would like a N95 if it's so ridiculously expensive.
    The jack REALLY pisses me off too. I must've returned Seidio retractable adapters about 4 times for dying within 3-4 months. I must've bought at least 4 of those little adapters. But between using it for my headphones and then also for my car adapter.... The thing is just sooooooo small that it's bound to be lost unless you never take it off your headphones. I was thinking of buying another and painting it that bright Black & Decker orange so I can easily pick it out when looking for it. I've just tried the latest beta of SAG gateway for bluetooth stereo but it still skips, seems to slow down my Treo and then crashes it. I have read quotes from the developer that Palm's Bluetooth implimentation is far from standard. He also said that Palm used to be very open & helpful giving developers access to OS information and support. Once it was split off to Palmsource that relationship died quickly and the developers have been left on their own. He said that the difficulty in developing stereo Bluetooth is due to Palm's spotty implimentation of Bluetooth and lack or response to their queries.

My friend just got a TX & it has a standard adapter. I never thought I'd be jealous over such a detail that used to seem minor.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I've only been a Treo 700p user for about a month...signed w/ Sprint SERO. I have seen lots of complaints on the 700p, but for some reason or another, I have not experienced those mentioned problems (knock on wood).

I'm using a Jabra JX-10 headset which pairs with the phone quickly. Also am using Tomtom 6 and a Holux GPSlim 236 BT GPS receiver...both work fine...I have the IBM Java VM so I can use Google Mail...both work fine as well...and also Opera Mini 2.0 (3.0 has problems!), Mundu IM3, Chatter Mail, Resco Explorer, and Flight Status. I understand I probably have less than 1% of all the apps that some users here have on their Treo...but this is all that I need and all work fine.

I get unlimited Internet access on my 700p cuz of SERO, I can't be any happier...I'm coming from an old Motorola V600 from Cingular, which basically only had phone service and am paying the same $30/mo. What more can I ask for? Well...I requested for 500 free text messaging from Sprint...that was granted after like 5 emails to e-care.
  10.    #30  
    The Treo for me would be a more suitable device since I am considered more of an "individual user" vs. a "corporate/enterprise user." I e-mail a lot for work/college related items, but it's not time critical to justify the $24 premium/month for a BB data plan.

It seems to me like the whole Treo vs. Blackberry debate is like the PC vs. Mac debate. BB users are like a cult and for the most part love their devices, trumpet them as being superior over everything, etc. Just like many Apple users. (I own a Mac, but don't believe its in every way superior over PC's)

Treo 700p users are like the PC users where there are complaints about the OS but overall they cannot justify the BB over the Treo. Unlike Mac's, there are more third party apps and the units are more customizable.

I am not calling anyone out or making fun of Treo users. But that is what I have been noticing over my research into what to buy.
    I also would not hesitate to buy the 700p, especially if you are in an EVDO area. It's probable you will like it the way it works even without the patch. Most of the problems are caused by old programs that trip it up.
    So should I upgrade from the 650 (and cancel my F&F plan early it ends in Nov) to the 700 and get on a SERO plan that would save me 36+ a month or wait for the next generation?
    -g-
    -g-

Treo 300-650-755P, Contract ends 11/30/07. SERO F&F 1250, The following are unlimited: N&W (7PM), Mobile to Home (M2H), Free Incoming, Vision Data, Text Messages for $49.99 - Plus Sprint AIRAVE @ N/C.
    No!
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I would definitely NOT buy one again. This thing is a piece of garbage. You'd be sorry to waste your money on this.
    I love my Treo 700p. Paired with the Jabra BT 8010 headset it is awesome. Works well and even better when I'm in a EVDO area. The dial up modem function is way faster than the original Sprint Vision service.
    It seems like to me that if there is intermittent signal the phone will hang/lag/crash. I used to live in DC where I would ride the metro a bunch. Being in the metro or in big office buildings causes the phone to get/lose signal all the time. My 700p was completely worthless in that situation. It was always crashing/lagging or doing the every-key-at-once thing. Ever since I moved to KC and the signal is more steady I don't have the problems I did before.

Although, if I use Versamail I get serious lag problems when I switch to the phone app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    The forum is an outlet for problems. Very few stop to come here and say everything is fine.
    This is VERY true...

but there is nothing wrong with that as long as everyone who reads these posts understand that

I personally like the 700p and have no problems with it (expect for my little mishap which was my fault).. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=134739
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Quote Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
    Hi:

I am a potential new user considering a Treo 700p (Sprint).

Considering the time I have spent on here reading thread after thread regarding bugs on the Treo 700p, is it still a recommended buy?
    No, but if you wait until June, there will be a ton of them for sale, mine included...
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie_g View Post
    So should I upgrade from the 650 (and cancel my F&F plan early it ends in Nov) to the 700 and get on a SERO plan that would save me 36+ a month or wait for the next generation?
    -g-
    I'm using a 650 too, I want a 700 for the evdo... but I'm not willing to deal with the lag, pTunes skipping & BT dropouts... the trade-offs not worth it(IMO)... so I'm going to wait on the supposed 1st quarter firmware update, before I make a move...

I just don't understand how palm dropped the ball on the 700, I mean it is basically 650 with a evdo radio, and more ram... they added 1 feature and caused 3 new problems, only palm could pull that one off lol
    I also want to get into SERO to save money, but I heard if you are in it even if your contract expires they will not allow you back in or discounts on phones.
    Any one else hear that?
    -g-
    -g-

Treo 300-650-755P, Contract ends 11/30/07. SERO F&F 1250, The following are unlimited: N&W (7PM), Mobile to Home (M2H), Free Incoming, Vision Data, Text Messages for $49.99 - Plus Sprint AIRAVE @ N/C.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast