1.    #1  
    Report: 17.7 Million PDAs Shipped in '06

Feb 6, 3:17 PM (ET)

By BRUCE MEYERSON

NEW YORK (AP) - Global shipments of handheld computers rose 18.4 percent to 17.7 million in 2006, with Research in Motion Ltd. (RIMM)'s BlackBerry showing strong growth, but Palm Inc. (PALM) suffering a steep decline in sales and market share, Gartner Inc. (IT) reported Tuesday.

In terms of operating systems for personal digital assistants, shipments of devices based on Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)'s Windows platform grew by 38.8 percent to nearly 10 million. Those shipments, by multiple manufacturers of Windows-based devices, increased Microsoft's market share to 56.1 percent, up from 47.9 percent in 2005, the research company said.

BlackBerry retained the top spot for PDA devices shipped, growing 10 percent to 3.5 million for the year, but its market share slipped from 21.3 percent in 2005 to just a shade below 20 percent during 2006, Gartner said.

Palm saw PDA shipments slide by 29 percent to less than 2.8 million devices, its market share plummeting to 11.1 percent from the prior year's 18.5 percent.
    That sucks, but isn't surprising.

But at the same time, what is this measuring? Does it include WM5 Smartphones or the full-fledged PPC? Does Palm's PDA shipments include those based on Windows, or is it just talking about Palm OS?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Gartner numbers are meaningless e.g. HP 6915 is counted as a PDA, but the Treo 650 is counted as a smartphone (and not in these numbers).

Surur
    I wonder if they call replacements as sales? I'm on my third POS 700p (palm OS or piece of s**t, take your pick) in 10 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSUFAN1200 View Post
    In terms of operating systems for personal digital assistants, shipments of devices based on Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)'s Windows platform grew by 38.8 percent to nearly 10 million. Those shipments, by multiple manufacturers of Windows-based devices, increased Microsoft's market share to 56.1 percent, up from 47.9 percent in 2005, the research company said.
    I thought these figures were useful and even checked more or less where they were coming from. MS seems to be pulling it off again after years of persistence. I just came back from a presentation on Vista and was quite impressed there too.

Thanks!
    The numbers are impossible to interpret unfortunately. Its a real pity Gartner does not release the flip side of the numbers i.e. their data on the smartphone segment.

Surur
    There's a reason they don't. The same reason market share is used to determine market dominance of personal computers, and the same reason MHz was the measure of performance microprocessors.

Anyone care to guess?...