1.    #1  
    I originally bought my Treo 650 from Palm in November 2005 for about $600. In June and July 2006 my keyboard started to fail. On July 10, 2006 they replaced my brand new unlocked Treo 650 with a used (refurb) unlocked unit that had a working keyboard. Everything worked fine until this past week when my keyboard started to fail again.

I just got off of the phone with Palm support and was told that it would cost $199 to repair the keyboard plus $25 for the phone swap option.

Apparently, the replacement phone was only warrantied for 90 days - but my original phone had a 1 year warranty. This, despite the fact that the keyboard failure is well known and usually does not manifest itself for at least 4 or 8 months.

My question - has anyone had any success with getting Palm to swap out for another refurbished unit outside the 90 day period without paying the 199 fee?

This is nuts. I just want to find out if anyone has had any success before I spend hours and hours on the phone with these people.

Thanks.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    i repaired my keyboard myself. Just the other day. Try searching for the thread i posted here.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks - I am aware that there are ways to repair the keyboard, but Im really not interested in going that route.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and that droped the repair cost to 100. They offered to waive the 25 advanced exchange fee and cut the repair in half. When I expressed disapointment with that, they offered to open a file and forward it to "corporate headquarters" I should expect a call back within 24 or 48 hours. We'll see.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    My keyboard just quit on me...but mine is a year a half old....it sucks because you cant do anything without the buttons.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj$bags View Post
    My keyboard just quit on me...but mine is a year a half old....it sucks because you cant do anything without the buttons.
    i was able to fix my broken keyboard myself. I pressed all the keys and noticed that the right shift key felt different than the others. Besides the shift sign was often on. Then i opened the device, and removed the keyboard from it's place, looked at it, peeled the white "tape" off, put it back again, assembled the device and now the key feels normal and it works.

Try searching for my resent thread.
    My 650 keyboard went out. I am not tech savvy and chose not to try to fix it myself. Performancepda.com fixed it, return postage included, for $79.95. Had my 650 back in my hands in 5 working days. I highly recommend them and they come out $20 cheaper than palm.

If you are interested, here is a thread about my experience:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=132549
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650