Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hello im a former blackberry user and have became used to the push email. Are there apps out for the treo 680 that would enable push email or something fairly close. I currently have chatter and it seems ok but its not very instant on the email.
    What do you mean chatter is not instant? The email appears pretty instantly on my treo.
    If you purchased an unlocked Treo directly from Palm, the Versa-mail exchange activesynch push e-mail with MS Exchange works well. No where near as well as the crack-berry.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    hello im a former blackberry user and have became used to the push email. Are there apps out for the treo 680 that would enable push email or something fairly close. I currently have chatter and it seems ok but its not very instant on the email.

Chatteremail is a fantastic progs for palm 680. Since I have it, I no longer see other applications for email. I used IMAP for chatteremail and with the battery patch, it resolve the battery issue and more longer time with chatteremail.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by christopher318 View Post
    If you have an unlocked phone:

1. Get the DirectPush Update: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...easupdate.html

2. Get a free Mail2Web live Account: http://live.mail2web.com/

3. Set up VersaMail for DirectPush using the Mail2Web account

This gives you free (except for data traffic, of course) push-email that works perfectly well. Even lets you sync your contacts and your calendar.
    Don't see much difference compared to the Blackberry service.

dakis
    What are you talking about ??!! Chatter is FASTER than BB at getting emails - they come instantly - minutes before blackberry emails do.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    What are you talking about ??!! Chatter is FASTER than BB at getting emails - they come instantly - minutes before blackberry emails do.
    If you are using a non-offline IMAP idle connection, it will receive email faster than the Blackberry.

However, if you choose to use that account in 'off-line' mode, use an IMAP4 or a POP3 account, then obviously it can be much slower than BB based on polling interval. But we don't have enough information either way from the OP, just saying, Chatter can be both faster/slower.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Yeah, my Chatter is instant as well. My PC in the office is connected right into the email server, but I use my 680 to actually notify me when stuff arrives--it is within a few microseconds of when email arrives on the server. Actually, and I know this is hard to believe, I sometimes see things on the Treo that have not shown on the PC, but that's because the software slows down and doesn't keep up with the server. You can set the Chatter so it doesn't slow down at all--if you are having trouble with its speed you should go to preferences and make sure that the Performance preferences have the "latency to server," "Updates to server," and "Signal Req'd for Data" UNchecked. It will use more power but it will give you INSTANT push email. You might want Deeper Sleep unchecked as well.
    Does this mean you can push-sync to your exchange server e-mail this way or just your mail2mail account? Either way I can't see the instructions to push from mail2mail. Thanks
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theeaglehasland View Post
    Does this mean you can push-sync to your exchange server e-mail this way or just your mail2mail account? Either way I can't see the instructions to push from mail2mail. Thanks
    Mail2Web provides an Exchange Server for you. If you already have an Exchange Server for your business you'll have to look for a different solution.
    Rogers in Canada offers a push service called MyMail for its Treo users. A with all data plans, its pricey - but about 1/2 the price of Blackberry. Treos from Rogers have the software preinstalled and it just needs a MyMail account and and setting up on the unit.

Frankly, I've still given it a pass though - I have no need (or desire) to be that 'connected' and if I do need email, I'll just whip out my TX and do it for free via wifi!
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    Frankly, I've still given it a pass though - I have no need (or desire) to be that 'connected' and if I do need email, I'll just whip out my TX and do it for free via wifi!
    But that's the nice thing about push services for the Treo - they can all be disabled. I only enable the service when I'm on the road during business hours. On the Blackberry I used to have, I couldn't disable the push service without at the same time completely turning off the cell-phone part...
  13.    #13  
    i have chatter and im using the gmail email service which is pop which i guess is why chatter doesnt recieve it quicker but on my blackberry soon as i get an email from my gmail account its on my phone but for the treo i have to manually check it since you cant leave it online for pop3 is there anything that i can do to leave it on rather than manually check it
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

1. Get the DirectPush Update: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...easupdate.html

This gives you free (except for data traffic, of course) push-email that works perfectly well. Even lets you sync your contacts and your calendar.

dakis"

This is a great solution dakis, thanks for the info. I got it set up and working in just a few minutes and it only takes seconds to recive the email on my treo. almost to good to be true.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frank5o View Post

This is a great solution dakis, thanks for the info. I got it set up and working in just a few minutes and it only takes seconds to recive the email on my treo. almost to good to be true.
    I'm glad it works for you, too. I have no affiliation with mail2web, by the way - but I've been using the service for a while (on a HTC TyTN first, now on the Treo 680) and have been quite happy with it.
    Using Chatter, I notice that push is slower when receiving mail from Exchange compared to IMAP.

I have my work (Exchange) email automatically forwarded to an IMAP account. As a test, in Chatter I set up 2 connections; 1 to my IMAP account and another to the Exchange server. Both connect just fine, but I get push email from my IMAP account virtually instantly, while the Exchange pushed mail can be delayed by minutes (> 5 ins, sometimes > 20 mins).
    I don't know about Exchange--I've heard it's sort of flaky--but I, too, get my IMAP either instantly, almost instantly, or occasionally more than instantly. Chatter is the killer app for me.
    If an Exchange server is setup correctly and the firewall is not causing the connection to be dropped, then push email is almost instant. I run my own Exchange server and within within a few seconds of the mail arriving my phone gets it.

The problem some experience is related to the firewall timeout value. Exhange keeps a tunnel open to your Treo and once a message comes in, it pushes it to your phone through that tunnel. If the firewall is not setup correctly, it will drop that tunnel. Exchange is set to check the connection every 8 or 9 minutes I believe. If its not there, it will re-establish the connection and send any new mail.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by dakis View Post

dakis
    Awesome! Who needs a Blackberry?

BTW, anyone have any idea how many Kb/hour are used to keep Versamail connected to the Exchange server? I'm not lucky enough to have unlimited data so I have to be careful.
    The mail2web method mentioned above is great. My Yahoo mail is getting pushed to Versamail pretty fast. The only flaw I have with this is that I cannot keep a copy of the forwarded message on my Yahoo server.

I would like to check/read emails on the 680 with Versamail while I'm at work, but I would also like to see those same messages when I get home on the PC. Yahoo doesn't seem to supports this option. I hope they do soon.

I'm considering switching to my gmail address as I get too much spam at Yahoo. but I'm too lazy to change the settings to all the websites I use. lol

Anyway, again...Thanks for the Mail2Web tip. It works perfectly.
    Follow Me On

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast