Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've got a new Treo 680 unlocked GSM phone with a T-Mobile SIM card. The phone number is signed up for the T-Mobile VPN data service. However, the first service that the phone always tries to connect to is T-Mobile Internet. In the settings for T-Mobile Internet, the service T-Mobile VPN is listed as the fallback. However, when the phone tries to connect to the T-Mobile Internet service, it simply fails WITHOUT proceeding to attempt a connection to the fallback. I can simply set the T-Mobile VPN as my default connection, but any time the phone is soft reset (which as you other Treo loyalists know can sometimes be more often than we'd like) the settings are changed back (to where T-Mobile Internet is the default).

Does anyone know of any way to force this service into falling back? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks in advance.

Chris
    I had a problem like this with my 650, I believe, and I had to call TMO. You've got to get a techie who knows what (s)he's doing. But I've had no problem since. I think I'm on TMO internet, and mine kept going back to VPN, sort of opposite what you are experiencing. As a result, I think it may be governed by your SIM.
    this is a known bug that every tmo 680 user (that I know of) is experiencing. for some reason, your network preference is not stored across a reset, and the first choice on the list is tmo internet. apparently something got botched with the fallback connection settings, since they don't do anything. hopefully it'll be fixed with a rom update.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    yep, me too. plus, as an added bonus, all the items on my networks list are duplicated. also, i think something else is at play because it doesn't take a soft reset for it to switch off the VPN connection on mine. mighty annoying.
    the default comes from your sim, TMO should be able to update your sim to the correct default for your data plan
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by nomorefun4you View Post
    yep, me too. plus, as an added bonus, all the items on my networks list are duplicated. also, i think something else is at play because it doesn't take a soft reset for it to switch off the VPN connection on mine. mighty annoying.
    Old bug.. You need to use Filez and delete the duplicate entries. Search and you can find it. Filez and NetworkDB should find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
    this is a known bug that every tmo 680 user (that I know of) is experiencing. ...
    Hmmm...I think I posted right above you noting that I don't have the problem with TMO, but I had to call them to fix it (not with my 680, but with my 650, or possibly even my 600 before that) and I never had the problem since then, and so I never experienced it at all with the 680.
    I'm a T-mo user but I'm using a multi-sim 12 in 1 chip. Since I started using the new chip, my network settings now stay unchanged through sot resets. It is definitely a sim chip problem not a treo problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Old bug.. You need to use Filez and delete the duplicate entries. Search and you can find it. Filez and NetworkDB should find it.
    i have searched with filez, but the only ones that seem like the prefs i want to delet show up as locked and i can't delete them
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Hmmm...I think I posted right above you noting that I don't have the problem with TMO, but I had to call them to fix it (not with my 680, but with my 650, or possibly even my 600 before that) and I never had the problem since then, and so I never experienced it at all with the 680.
    Guess I should have been more clear. The network preference resetting itself is a problem that a lot of users are noticing that subscribe to the $5.99 T-Zones. I'm not at all sure if this is a SIM issue or a Treo issue, but the fact remains that after a soft reset, a lot of users who use the $5.99 T-Zones setting have to go in and reset the preference.

Obviously now I can't say it's happening to every user (since people have refuted it in this thread), but I think it's still a majority issue.

Regardless of THAT issue, the problem remains that the connections are NOT going to their backup option after failing to connect. This is an issue that regardless how many people are able to find a workaround, it needs to be fixed.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    It is not just T-Zones I had T-Mobile VPN and the same thing would happen. I was on the phone with Palm and T-Mobile for hours. The solution I ended up with was to switch to T-Mobile Internet. The Treo always would default to whatever the SIM pushed as the default. If T-Mobile has been able to change that default setting that is new information. I was told by the Smartphone teir 3 techs it could not be changed.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    It is not just T-Zones I had T-Mobile VPN and the same thing would happen. I was on the phone with Palm and T-Mobile for hours. The solution I ended up with was to switch to T-Mobile Internet. The Treo always would default to whatever the SIM pushed as the default. If T-Mobile has been able to change that default setting that is new information. I was told by the Smartphone teir 3 techs it could not be changed.
    After reading MDavis's posts here, I called TMO yesterday and went through all kinds of tiers of data and PDA/smartphone techs and they told me they could not resolve the problem and, moreover, that the 680 is not compatible with T-Zones (which all of us who are using T-Zones know to be a fallacy). I'm resolved to just live with it, at $5.99 per month, unless I can find another workaround.

I also was unable to delete the NetworkDB files using FileZ, so that's not a workaround for me, either.

bigcatny, where did you pick up your 12-in-1 chip and, if you don't mind my asking, how expensive was it? Do you know if there are less than 12-in-1 available (say, 2-in-1 or 5-in-1 or something). Do you know if it will work if you only use one sim card?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    After reading MDavis's posts here, I called TMO yesterday and went through all kinds of tiers of data and PDA/smartphone techs and they told me they could not resolve the problem and, moreover, that the 680 is not compatible with T-Zones (which all of us who are using T-Zones know to be a fallacy). I'm resolved to just live with it, at $5.99 per month, unless I can find another workaround.

I also was unable to delete the NetworkDB files using FileZ, so that's not a workaround for me, either.

bigcatny, where did you pick up your 12-in-1 chip and, if you don't mind my asking, how expensive was it? Do you know if there are less than 12-in-1 available (say, 2-in-1 or 5-in-1 or something). Do you know if it will work if you only use one sim card?
    I mentioned it on another thread but...

I bought 4 on my last trip to Hong Kong for $12 each (I'm helping friends with the same issue). The cost of 6 in 1, 12 in 1 or 16 in 1 is exactly the same so you might as well get more memory. It works fine with just one number as I had for a few weeks or just the 5 that I have right now.

It's been rock solid and like I said, T-zones stays selected even after a soft reset.

I know online I've seen it for anywhere from $42 to $90 bucks for the same card so if an older 5 in 1 is cheaper and it suits your needs then get the cheaper one. For me, it was soooooo cheap that I'm giving it aways as gifts.

Here's a place that carries most of the available options and he's a good vendor with a fair price. Look down the right side where there are the various sim options.
    http://mobile.brando.com.hk/
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post

I bought 4 on my last trip to Hong Kong for $12 each (I'm helping friends with the same issue). The cost of 6 in 1, 12 in 1 or 16 in 1 is exactly the same so you might as well get more memory. It works fine with just one number as I had for a few weeks or just the 5 that I have right now.

It's been rock solid and like I said, T-zones stays selected even after a soft reset.

I know online I've seen it for anywhere from $42 to $90 bucks for the same card so if an older 5 in 1 is cheaper and it suits your needs then get the cheaper one. For me, it was soooooo cheap that I'm giving it aways as gifts.

Here's a place that carries most of the available options and he's a good vendor with a fair price. Look down the right side where there are the various sim options.
    Thanks bigcatny! I did a search yesterday after I left that post and ended up buying one on eBay. There are several of this SimMax 12-in-1 card on sale by the same seller:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/12in1-Sim-Card-C...QQcmdZViewItem

You can also get just the card cheaper in other posts by the same seller, but I needed the SIM reader and PC software, so I went with the $16.99 buy it now price (plus $8.50 shipping) -- which was worth it to me, since I'm now paying $5.99 instead of $19.99 for my internet service and this hopefully will stop the Network settings from defaulting to anything other than T-Zones. Thanks again for that tip!

I'll report back and let everyone know if the 12-in-1 SimMax works for this like it did for you, bigcatny.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post

Do you know if it works with a cingular 64k smartcard?
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    Do you know if it works with a cingular 64k smartcard?
    The stats on the card I bought say it supports 32k and 64k GSM SIM cards (it doesn't give this detail on SIM card listed on the mobile.brando.com website) and that it's compatible with all GSM mobile phones; however, the card at mobile.brando.com says you should be sure your phone is unlocked.
    Well I just ordered it because the price is right but I am a bit nervous having read a thread that mentioned damage to the original card.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    There are several of this SimMax 12-in-1 card on sale by the same seller:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/12in1-Sim-Card-C...QQcmdZViewItem

I'll report back and let everyone know if the 12-in-1 SimMax works for this like it did for you, bigcatny.
    ChristieC,

How goes it ? Is it working ?
    Does it stay selected after reset ?
    The website said that you can have two mobile numbers active simultaneously, have you tried that ?
    Quote Originally Posted by idian View Post
    ChristieC,

How goes it ? Is it working ?
    Does it stay selected after reset ?
    The website said that you can have two mobile numbers active simultaneously, have you tried that ?
    I haven't received the card yet. It's coming from Hong Kong and takes 7 to 10 days to arrive after they ship. I got the "your item has been shipped" email on February 10th.

I only have one SIM I'll be using -- I only bought it to try to cure the problem with not defaulting back to T-Zones after reset. Someone else will have to test whether you can use 2 SIMS simultaneously!
    I have one on order. I intend to put three numbers on it from time to time, two permanently. I don't believe you could actually use two simultaenously (how would you do that...put them on hold???!!!??!??), I think you can simply switch from one to the other--it's basically the same as inserting a new sim card, but without the need to restart the phone application, but I'm not sure. Incidentally, I used to have a cell phone with two numbers--around 1985 or a little after that, it was very convenient, although at the time it wasn't gsm.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast