1.    #1  
    How would I install a new application if I currently have the .prc file in a folder on my SD card?
    Just use the Copy function. Copy from SD to the Treo. (Or, just run it directly from SD)
    In order to do either, use FileZ and make sure it is installed in the SD Directory: Palm/Launcher

You can also use FileZ to copy it directly to the Treo (main directory).
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Pardon me for jumping in; I'm new to this forum. I'm trying to update the VersaMail application from 3.1B to 3.1F, but because I'm now also using a Treo 680, I'd prefer doing the update without using the HotSync method (since the computer now believes the 680 is the primary phone). Is it possible to download the update and transfer the .prc file to the 650 using the SD card? If so, can I do the update from the card directly, or do I need to move the file onto the 650? One last question: what is FileZ?

Thanks for allowing me to intrude.
    I will answer the easy question:

FileZ = Freeware File Management Utility for the PamOS
    www.nosleep.net
    click on download then select FileZ

Simple programs (single .prc file) can be moved into internal memory from the sd card -- or I have just emailed them as an attachment to my Treo and then just clicked on that attachement, which installed it.

VersaMail has multiple files, so I believe the process for it would not be as simple or straight forward as a single .prc program. . . . . . . .

Do your 650 and 680 have the same userid? You should be able to direct the VersaMail hot sync update to the 650 if it has a unique userid. . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/09/2007 at 08:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    If by User ID you mean the name on the phones, they are the same (probably a mistake on my part). When the 680 arrived, it contained newer versions of Palm desktop and HotSync software, so I just assumed I couldn't continue to use the 650 on the same computer. Is there a way to change the User ID on the 650 so I can use it with the newer software (assuming compatibility)? I haven't done a sync on the 650 (which is on a different cell service from the 680) since early December...that's also the reason I'm reluctant to move the VersaMail software update on to the 650 via HotSYnc (because its contact data and calendar are so out of date now).

Thanks.
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...ase=obj(24485)

Scan down to the name change on device method . . .

Further reference material:
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...m_External2001
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/09/2007 at 09:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Great information. From the looks of things, the Change Name software still requires a HotSync to get it on the 650. I'm still a little concerned about having two devices (680 and 650), and potentially learning after the fact (i.e. if I have to do a hard reset) that the software versions needed for the 680 are not fully compatible with the 650.
    Name change Option 2 did not require new software. . . .

Once you rename your 650 and hotsync it to that new userid -- the 650 and 680 will be considred two different devices and will have completely different backup folders -- so no software differring versions should be passed between the two -- even in the case of a hard reset and restore of one of the devices -- the device will be restored from the backup stored under it's own userid.

I had a two Zire 71s, one Tungsten T3 and a Treo 650 hot syncing to the same PC at one point in time (4 different userids . . . Mom, Dad, 2 daughters) -- as long as each has it's own userid -- nothing will cross over between them.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/09/2007 at 10:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    The Treo 650 does not seem to recognize the graffiti language (unless I'm doing something wrong) in the Memo Pad...it only wants typed characters. It won't let me create the squiggle character that precedes the period and the number 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsnadel View Post
    The Treo 650 does not seem to recognize the graffiti language (unless I'm doing something wrong) in the Memo Pad...it only wants typed characters. It won't let me create the squiggle character that precedes the period and the number 5.
    As far as I know, the Treo 650 does not natively support graffitt.
    I think the instructions said you would not see the characters on the memo screen -- the screen would remain blank -- you will have to go to the hot sync icon on the Treo to determine if you were successful in erasing the userid. .. .

"Whether you entered the shortcut character, period and 5 correctly or not, the characters you've entered will disappear and the memo pad will remain blank. To see if you succeeded:

Open the Applications launcher.
    Launch the HotSync application.
    Your user name appears in the upper right corner of the screen: if it's blank, then your user name has been deleted. The next time you HotSync with this device, you will be asked to create a new user name."

Treo 650 was listed as a relevant product at the bottom of this Knowledge Base article. . . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/09/2007 at 11:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Unfortunately, I'm unable to get the graffiti portion of this process to take.
    I have tried and can't get it either. . . . . . . (Boy was I going to be mad, if I got it to work and then could not select that name tonight on a hot sync.)

I would call Palm tech support and ask them how to get this procedure on Knowledge Base article xxxxxx to work. . . . . .

OKAY -- try this on your 650 -- use the keyboard to enter the "characters"

press option key
    press alt key
    select the shortcut character in the bottom right of the drop down box

press the period key

press the option key and then 5

I got the string to show and then disappear -- but my userid does not erase on my 700P
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/09/2007 at 12:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    What I ended up doing was to push the "s" key, then the ALT key (which offered the symbol we've been talking about), then the period key, then option 5...and voila-- it worked!!

Your persistence is greatly appreciated. Now all I have to do is try to sync with a newly-created name, and then install the patch. I'll let you know how it goes...but first have to run to an appointment.

Thanks so much.

Roger
    Excellent
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    One last question before I sync: because I use MS Outlook, which is what the 680 synchs to, is the software still going to be okay synching with the 650...which is what I used to synch to Outlook with but haven't for about 8 weeks? In other words, I know you're able to synch multiple devices on your computer..but do they use Outlook or the Palm calendar/contact software...and does it make a difference. Thanks again.
    I have not been down this path before. I know with the Palm Desktop selected as the your sync choice -- your selection of a new userid on this Hot Sync would create a new "entity" on the Palm Desktop and all PIM data would sync into that new userid.

My GUESS is that this will also happen with Outlook being selected as the choice but that is what it is -- a GUESS. However, there is a nagging little voice in the back of my head that is worried that there is a different setting created when Outlook is first chosen in the set up process -- and that setting will remain set to your original choice of who to sync with in Outlook -- and not be changed by this erase and rename process we just went thru.

Next thought is -- when you sync to a device with no userid -- it will ask for you to create one -- and maybe it will also ask if you wish to sync with Outlook or not and maybe give you the option at that point to create or choose. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by pinfante View Post
    How would I install a new application if I currently have the .prc file in a folder on my SD card?

I use a small freeware utility called MyInstall (search freewarepalm or palmgear). Any .prc file placed in the MyInstall file on the root of your SD card will be installed when you launch the app from your palm launcher.