Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have had the card for some 6 weeks now. All of a sudden I started to have problems running apps, then looked at the directories and saw some of the files were corrupted. This happens sometimes.

I reformtted the card, added in all my data (some 7GB) and all looked fine on my PC. Put it in my 680 and immediately it became corrupted. I tried this on another 680 and it did exactly the same (so its not the phone)

I reformatted again, then slowly added files. Up to 5GB I could put in the 680 and i was fine. added in a bunch of audio files, all looked fin on my PC but as soon as I put it in the 680 it all corrupted again.

Any ideas anyone?
    You must have missed this quote from the various reviews and also from Palm "To expand your storage capacity, you can use the Treo 680ís SD card slot to add up to a 2GB memory card (Palm states the limit but as with the Treo 700p some brands of 4 gig SD cards-- not SDHC-- might work). The SD card slot also supports SDIO (data cards in SD format), but as veteran Palm users might have guessed, the SDIO support doesnít include WiFi cards. "

Note the "not SDHC". So either return it for a 4GB or less or use it on a different device.

I agree that it's too bad, I'd like to have a much larger card for streaming video needs, etc.
  3.    #3  
    the point is that it HAS WORKED with 8gb for 6 weeks up to today.

my PC also recognizes 8gb.

something is happening to the card when I put it in the phone.
    I've been using the Transcend 8GB SDHC card in my 680 for a little over one month. Everything has been fine so far (keeping my fingers crossed). I use a Brando 55-in-1 card reader which is SDHC compatible. I also use Softick's Card Export II. The built in Card Info app doesn't recognize the proper amount of space left until you fill it with over 4 GB of data, but otherwise all is well for me. I currently have it filled with over 7 GB of data (mostly MP3s). The only thing I did to ensure compatibility with the 680 was to format the card on my PC with the Brando card reader using this convention -

format f: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K
  5.    #5  
    so for sure I know the card has a problem.

I reformatted again (as above, as I had always done), was able to add up to 8gb as usual on my PC and even go back and forth in directories. but when I took the card out and reinserted it (this time on my PC, not my phone), the card corrupted.

I will send it back to the manufactuter. anyone know why thia may happen?
    Noticed that there was already this thread. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131232

At this point, I'm staying clear of 8GB SDHC cards until ekerbuddy and the rest prove that these can be totally solid.

Ekerbuddy, as to why this may happen? FAT32 support in PalmOS is beta and not offically supported? This is why they still only officially support up to 2GB cards that use FAT? Outside of the hardware/software team of the 680, it's anyones guess.
  7.    #7  
    its not just in PalmOS. the problem occured when the card was ejected and reinserted into my PC. thats why I think its a card issue.
    Do you have another SD card available (SD or SDHC) to try out? I'm just curious to know if the problem is isolated to that single card. If it happens with other cards too, then the problem is likely an issue with your PC or file transfer mechanism.
  9.    #9  
    so you think it could be my PC? Interesting thought. i used the SDHC patch that someone found elsewhere in the forum. before that I loaded up using card reader which was so slow. it jst took FOREVER to load up via that method.

I dont have another SDHC card to test but I will try to reformat and load up the card with a bunch of movies via card reader to see if it also happens.

I was just about to return my card to Newegg! you may have saved me some hassle!
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    what if you check the card filesystem on the PC? just repair it or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    so you think it could be my PC? Interesting thought. i used the SDHC patch that someone found elsewhere in the forum. before that I loaded up using card reader which was so slow. it jst took FOREVER to load up via that method.

I dont have another SDHC card to test but I will try to reformat and load up the card with a bunch of movies via card reader to see if it also happens.

I was just about to return my card to Newegg! you may have saved me some hassle!
    You could also try formatting the card through the Treo's built-in Card Info app. Don't worry about using the optimal 32K formatting convention. Just see if the card is readable after formatting. If the card is seems okay, then it's probably something about your PC that's causing the problem.
    i am also having problems with my card. IT has been working good for probably 3 weeks and last night i couldnt get any of my 3rd party apps that i had on it to work. And now when i go to card info it doesnt even show up as if i have a card in it. Looks like im just going to go back to the old sandisk 2gb card for now
  13.    #13  
    CHRISTOPHER318, THATS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME.

I was able to reformat it to 4mb and it seems to be ok. I will soon send it back to Newegg as soon as a replacement arrives. I have ordered the new Toshiba 8GB which is CLASS 4 (should be much faster and more reliable). i will update all when it arrives. BTW theres a 16GB on the way soon.

According to people in the flash business that I know, I just paid for the tradeoff between price and reliability!
    Help! My 8GB SDHC card is working on my 700p... However, I have not been able to access or see the SDHC card on my computer or my laptop. I want to use my computer to load my mp3's since hotsyncing only allows me to sync 4gb of stuff on my 8gb sdhc card. Is there a special reader required? Both of my computers have SD slots!

Thanks

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by mjones77 View Post
    Help! My 8GB SDHC card is working on my 700p... However, I have not been able to access or see the SDHC card on my computer or my laptop. I want to use my computer to load my mp3's since hotsyncing only allows me to sync 4gb of stuff on my 8gb sdhc card. Is there a special reader required? Both of my computers have SD slots!

Thanks

Mark

Try Card Reader (http://mytreo.net/store/product.php?xProd=549), which is software you'll load on your 700p and, when connected by USB cable, your computer will see the card while in your Treo as a removable drive (in other words, your Treo becomes your SDHC card reader). Your computer won't see the card unless the SD slot you refer to is compatible with SDHC cards.
    Thank you so much, i will give this a try!
    Thanks Christie this worked great. I really appreciate your help!!!

Mark
    You're so welcome!! I'm glad I could help.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I have been using the Transcend 8 GB card for several months, and it is working great. However, at the time I purchased it from Transcend, I also got the card reader they suggested for the card. You mentioned further on in this thread that you use a "patch" on your computer ... perhaps this is the cause of the corruption? Good luck with the new one.
    I got a corrupted database read yesterday (ironically, it was the 755p article that I was trying to recover). I am guessing it is because I have all of my documents in a Briefcase folder and I keep them in sync that way rather than using DTG (I almost never sync). I would guess that the issue that some of us have would have to do with those read/write cycles in particlar areas of the card. Of course, if you card is quite full, there then are less *new* areas to push data to when a corrupted sector is found.

I'm investigating the issue though. The 680 wasn't meant to support SDHC and this might have been the test run (I hope not) for that support under Garnet. I'd think that Palm could possibly issue a fix with the firmware update, but not really sure.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast