Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Hi

I just wanted to share a little success story now that my panic is over.

Yesterday afternoon my 650 keyboard stopped working since one key got stuck. I did not have the tools needed to open it, since my Torq 6 was too large. I think you need Torq 4. And a very small phillips screwdriver as well. All mine were too big, so i used a flat for the phillips screws.

I could not find a guide, manual, or howto open my 650 safely. So i tried my way forward. It is not hard at all. There are 7 screws that you need to unscrew. There are 2 behind the stylus, 4 on the side of the battery compartment, all are vissible. There are NO screws under the plastic under the battery. The last screw is behind the small removeable rubber thingy in the base of the antenna. In mine there was a small piece of paper behind that i had to remove.

After that you gently pry it open, there is only some plastic teeth? that keeps the plastic parts together.

under that there are 2 screws to hold the sim card module.

GENTLY open the brown? plastic that locks the keyboard cable in place. Mine did break a little, but i was able to put it back on after wards.

Gently ply the logicboards from the front casing, allowing the screen to follow. Press gently on screen. The top is locked by a arm, so start in the bottom.

The keyboard logic board is screwed to the front with 2 phillips screws. After removing those i looked at my keyboard logic board. I could not see anything strange. So here might be my only error. Because rather than trying to put the pieces back together, i used a flat screwdriver to lift the white "tape" from the keyboard logic board. Then i placed some regular tape between the small metal disk and the logicboard. This will render this key useless. But maybe my key was just stuck for some reason? because after putting it all back together, the key feels normal and all the other keys works fine, except for right shift. A good thing i have the left shift key.

Putting things back together is easy as well. My only trouble was with the partly broken brown thing that locks the keyboard cable in place. But i managed to put it back on. This is also the reason why i do not open it again to remove the tape so the key works. Unless i experience other keys with trouble.

Now i can safely wait for the Copper 680 i hope arrive real soon now.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I just fixed my keyboard... I think dirt was the problem. Various keys wouldn't work at times.

I opened it up per your instructions, and found the clear plastic bumper was really dirty. I cleaned that off, and the back of the keypad, and put everything back together. It works fine now.

I think what happened was when I dropped my Treo, the joints came apart a little which makes it easy for dirt to enter. The keys were getting progressively worse since then (I've actually dropped it a lot).
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    hey, it's great to know that someone could use my instructions
    My Treo 650 CINGULAR motherboard needs to be replaced. I want to know if I can swap it with a working one but keeping the daughter board (simcard module)? Because I can get a Treo with a nonworking daughterboard (does not read sim card). Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    i think it can be done, but be very gentle with the wires and cables.
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    Hi

I could not find a guide, manual, or howto open my 650 safely.

Here's a few pages that describe the process:

http://www.performancepda.com/helpce...placement.html

http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2005/...your-treo.html

I had mine opened once before, to replace a bad speaker... The past week, my zero button and spacebar button were not working. So, I stumbled across this thread

Geeze, glad I did.. the innards of the keyboard were filthy. No wonder those keys didn't work. A little air, and some alcohol, and all was better.

They sure don't make thes Treo's very airtight, do they?