1.    #1  
    Based on what I've read here, I get the impression that Missing Sync is the best way to sync my Mac Pro with my 700p.

If I go this route, do I still need to install Palm Desktop, or can I avoid that completely?

Thanks.
    As far as I know if you install Missing Sync, you don't need to install ANY Palm software on your Mac. I've removed all mine. Depending on what applications you use, you may need to install some 3rd party sync conduits normally used by HotSync, but Missing Sync recognizes many of them (MS has a list of which ones are supported.)
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    When you install Missing Sync it overides all the Palm software settings, even changing the logos.
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    Avoid it like the plague.

I've had Missing Sync and love it. I had the Palm Desktop stuff originally, and every now and then, I still find a folder or something related to it. I'm not going to worry, since I'm going to wipe everything once Leopard comes out and start from scratch.

I have had a problem with BlueNomad's Backup software. It's not backing up like it should, even though I have it checked. It's ok, since it backs up when I sync with my PC, but, it's still annoying.

I'll figure it all out after Leopard.
    Time for a new laptop. What are Pro/Cons of Apple vs Windows woth my Verizon Treo 700P?
    As far as PIM integration, I've found Apple, along with MissingSync, to be tops over Windows. Although, this is mainly because I didn't use Outlook when I synced with Windows. Because of this, I wasn't able to have everything fully integrated. For instance, since I'm syncing with AddressBook and iCal, both of those, along with Mail, have all the information. With Windows, everything's stored in the Palm Desktop and has to be exported into Thunderbird and whatever calendar program you use.

I think the one time I did it with Outlook, it messed up a bunch of categories or something like that.

What are you currently using now and why are you considering both?
    I think it works great and have Palm Desktop wiped from my system. It is no where to be found.

JM
    I can't wait until Leopard comes out. I'm going to start everything from scratch. Right now, I have traces of Palm Desktop that I'm not 100% sure I can delete. It's not causing any problems, but, I'd like it not to be there. Hopefully soon, but who knows.
  9.    #9  
    Update: I used missing sync without installing anything from Palm, and it runs like a dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Doody View Post
    Update: I used missing sync without installing anything from Palm, and it runs like a dream.
    Ditto what he said. I didn't bother installing anything from Palm from the get go. I'm a new convert to Mac, so the entire experience had some growing pains. Comparitively speaking from a Windows to Windows Mobile sync experience to a Mac to Windows Mobile sync experience, I'd say it's about the same using Missing Sync from Markspace.
    Thanks guys. Sounds like the recommendation is to use Missing Sync INSTEAD of the PALM software.

By doing that...will I be able to have all my:
    - Contacts
    - Calendar
    - Tasks/To Dos
    - Memos
    - Photos
    - Music
    - Docs To GO documents
    All on the Mac with categories working properly?

Is it hard to setup?

I just have really lost confidence in the Palm Hot Sync for Windows. About every 6 -9 months I have a sync problem and have usually had to create a new ID and export...then import all the components of my databases. A couple of people suggested DB Scan and I just used it recently and it seems to have cleared up some database issues and I can sync again without having to do all the new ID/Export/Import stuff. I just want a stable palm treo 709p (verizon) and want reliable hot syncs.

I really have always found windows to be clunky and am considering mac. Not sure whether to go with Mac Book or Pro? Think I want 2 GB RAM with about 120 MB Hard Drive. One thing that's causing me to lean toward the PRO is the card slot for a verizon cell card on the pro. Is it possible to use the Treo as a modem for the laptop? If so, maybe I can go with the MacBook instead.

I really appreciate ANY and ALL things to consider and I ponder the switch.
    Yes, everything will sync great. The only thing with the categories are the colors. I THINK you might have to set up the categories first in iCal for it to sync right. If you don't, no big deal, because mine weren't. Also, as far as I know, you can't select the color you want on the Mac. What I did was create a bunch of new categories, then change the names to fit what I want it to be. But, when you sync, the colors won't be matched on the Treo, but you can easily fix it.

As for the MB or MBP, the main difference is the video card on the MBP and, yes, the card slot (forgot what it's called). If you don't plan on doing graphic intensive stuff (high end gaming, I think photoshop and stuff like that works, never tried it), and you want something small and portable, I'd go with the MB. I have one and it's great. I plan on getting an external monitor, so I can view everything a little bigger. I do believe you can use the Treo as a modem. I used to use my 650 as one, but it would hang up after a while. I think there's a program for the 700p, but I haven't looked into it yet.

As for the RAM and HD space, what I decided to do was get a small HD and low amount of RAM for my MB with the plans of upgrading it later on (just waiting for the finances). I think to upgrade to 2GB of RAM from Apple is an extra $600. If you get it and do it yourself, or maybe have CompUSA do it, it's $250, PLUS you get to keep the Apple RAM that came with it. Same goes for the HD. I'm doing pretty good with 512MB of RAM, and the HD, I'm waiting for Leopard to do a completely clean install.
    Just trying to understand the issues here.

I am considering buying a Treo 700p but want to be able to sync with iCal. What about being able to sync with my email client (Entourage)? Possible?

I currently use a Palm hand held and use the lousy Palm Desktop software.

What exactly am I going to need to properly sync the 700p with iCal.

They talk about third part software? iSync? Missing sync? What else would I need and how reliable is it. I've heard a lot of bad things about syncing with the mac.

Thanks for the help in advance.
    I have had only good things with syncing with my Mac, that is, after I started using Missing Sync. It does say that Entourage is a supported conduit, so, I'm assuming it will work. I'm not sure to what extent though. Personally, I don't sync my email. I don't want to be that attached to it, but, when I was, I was using Chattermail and it was working excellent.

And yes, it will sync wonderfully with iCal.

You also won't need anything else. You can try doing it with the Palm Desktop along with iSync, but, it doesn't work near as great as with Missing Sync. I'm actually 100% satisfied with the way everything works. There is a trial period, so you can always try that out, see how you like it, and if you don't, remove it.

I do suggest you back up everything, using BackupBuddy or a similar piece of software, before starting out. While it is pretty much foolproof, a fool like me ALMOST lost everything.
    So maybe I'm over reacrting...

Right now I use my Palm Hand Held mostly for the things to do function...beats dragging around one of those day times like I used to.

But if I get a Treo 700p of course getting my email on the run would be a big thing. Do most not bother with the address book and all the email addresses on their Treo? If that is the case there would be no need to sync with the mail client. Right now the Palm Desktop works for me...what are the issues I'm missing? Why is Missing Sync so popular?

I think I'm confused.
    I think Missing Sync is so popular because you're able to keep everything synced together, iCal, Address Book, and your Palm device. When I was using Palm Desktop on my PC, I had to export everything from there, and import into either Outlook or Thunderbird (email client). I never was able to get it to work. Now, if I open Address Book, all my contacts are there. If I want to send something via Mail, all my contacts are there.

As for your mail on your device, if you have a data plan, you can always download your email on the go. To me, syncing it is unnecessary, because if it's on my computer, more than likely, I've already read it.
    See thing is right now I'm using Palm Desktop and syncing that to my handheld. But my main contacts are in my email client (Entourage). So if could just sync my Treo 700p (which I don't have yet ) to Entourage I'd have all my email and contacts information and my calendar and things to do list all in one place. But can I sync to Entourage .. that is the question. Is Missing Sync the ticket for that?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. I'm just trying to figure out why I need the Treo 700 and if it will make life easier. You are being very helkpful davidg I'm just afraid I am not asking the correct questions.
    Yes, you'll be able to sync with Entourage. If it works the way it works with everything else, things will work out just like you want them. Like I said, I don't use Entourage (I tried it when I first bought it, didn't care for it) since I think the built in Apple apps are better for me, right now. Again, you can always try it with Missing Sync, if you don't like it, try it with Palm Desktop, and if not, you can always return the phone within the trial period and not be out any money.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    Yes, you'll be able to sync with Entourage. If it works the way it works with everything else, things will work out just like you want them. Like I said, I don't use Entourage (I tried it when I first bought it, didn't care for it) since I think the built in Apple apps are better for me, right now. Again, you can always try it with Missing Sync, if you don't like it, try it with Palm Desktop, and if not, you can always return the phone within the trial period and not be out any money.
    Thanks man!
    CrossBones, did the sync with Entourage work? Go smoothly?? Make you happy??? LOL

Mac OSX 10.4.10, about to go .11, Treo 680. Longtime PD user, and longtime Entourage user. I'd like to merge these contact lists, not sure that I can do that. All but a handful of my Entourage contacts are email only, and the lion's share of my Palm contacts are email-less. I'm sure I'll have to add the emails by hand and then override the Entourage with the Palm info on the first sync, but maybe not. But if the whole thing is too much work, I will just stay with the PD. It is only the convenience factor that has me looking into this switch.

Anybody else tried this, or currently doing this??