1.    #1  
    After seeing that Amazon had the 680 for $75 then $0 after rebates, I was going to go with that. Plus, they are allowing numbers to be ported from a different carrier. So I was going to go with them, until I read on their website that you have to have the data service at $40/month for six months, then you can drop it if you want to.

So $40 x 6 months = $240 in data services, which isn't worth it for me.

The best deal I've found is just calling up a local Cingular store and see what they can do. They said they can make the rebate an instant rebate instead of a MIR. Thus it would just be $199. That seems to be the best deal I've found with the 680 and new activation.

Does anyone have other ideas?
    maybe wirefly has a good deal? I bought it unlocked from Palm and got a good deal ($0) at wirefly for a RAZR with no data contract (ebay it and it will offset a good portion of the unlocked phone).
    eBay.
    The Cingular contract still requires a 2 year commitment with the data plan in order to get the rebate. Your dealer can't get any rebates if you don't do that (probably the 6 months data plan minimum thing you mentioned). He can however, take a smaller commission for signing up the new client and give part of his commission to you.

If you don't care about being locked to a big plan for 2 years it's worth considering. The calculation didn't work out in my favor so I bought unlocked and stayed with T-mobile.
    Wirefly was the cheapest. I bought mine in December '06 and with no data plan and wirefly's customer appreciation rebate (keep it active for 180 days - or is it 210 days) get $25 back so the total cost was $125.00. Plus you can buy individual plans or family plans. On Amazon there's no family plans.
  6.    #6  
    How do you get a number ported with Wirefly?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtash View Post
    Wirefly was the cheapest. I bought mine in December '06 and with no data plan and wirefly's customer appreciation rebate (keep it active for 180 days - or is it 210 days) get $25 back so the total cost was $125.00. Plus you can buy individual plans or family plans. On Amazon there's no family plans.
    Amazon has family plans, but you have to open a new account. My Cingular account expired in December, so I opened a new family plan account with Amazon and got the 680 for $49.99 (after rebate) and three Sony Ericsson w810is. I was already paying $24.99 for the data plan on my old account (which Cingular will make you do to get any rebates) so the extra $15 x 6 months wasn't that big a deal to me. Especially since Cingular charges $80 for the w810i and on Amazon they were $24.99.

I also called Cingular when I received my first bill and spoke really nicely to get them to waive the activation fees for the four new lines...
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyalty4Life View Post
    How do you get a number ported with Wirefly?
    I did this - at some point during the sign up process there was a button to press if you were transferring an existing number to the new service.
  9.    #9  
    When I checked out Wirefly, they were wanting me to sign up with Cingular's data service. Is there a way to get out of this?
    The Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #100 - "Never begin a business negotiation on an empty stomach."

Take over my T-Mobile 12 month Contract - 12 months left, $39.99, free phones, and $40 credit

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=136424
    Well, the best deal I found originally was through Radioshack Online. If you went through their website you could eventually get to a place where you could "See all available plans in your area" type page. This pretty much takes you to (what I believe is) an Inphonic site for Radioshack. They have the 680 for around $125 or $150, plus a $75 dollar rebate on top. They make you sign up for data, but it is not required for the rebate, so you could drop it afterwards.

To note, I had massive problems with them. I placed about 3 different orders, each time it was cancelled, then reinstated then cancelled again. They said Cingular approved me, but for some reason the Radioshack computers kept cancelling out my order and there was no way to override the automatic cimputer. I spent over a week with this hassle and finally gave up.

I wound up going through letstalk.com I think I paid like $175 with tax and everything and no data plan. There is a rebate if you get the data plan, but they weren't even able to add data when I signed up. The whole process took about 4 days, my number ported from T-Mobile without much issue.

The only issue I wound up with was that Cingular/Letstalk ported my number over on the Sunday before they shipped my phone. My phone wasn't going out until Monday and I wouldn't receive it until Wednesday at the earliest. I called Cingular to see if I could just set up my voicemail, but they claimed I needed my SIM Card and Phone to do that.

So, I went down to my local Cingular store, bought a new sim, had it attached to my account which had already been activated and used my 600 until my 680 arrived.

All and all, letstalk.com was pretty solid and I would consider using them again.
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
    That sounds pretty good -- something like how it worked when I signed up w/Sprint for the 650. You never added data? I'd like to get the $20 Media Max, but would hate to sign up for that deal & end up with Cingular insisting that since I have a 680 I have no choice but to pay $40 monthly for PDA Connect...
    When I log on to cingular.com, it doesn't know I have a 680 for some reason. It shows my phone as being unlisted or something.

Anyhow, when I go to features, the mediamax plans are there. I added it to my account and no one has said anythin since.
    Trust me, I'm a producer.