1.    #1  
    I have installed IBM Websphere (JVM) twice. If I look for it with a file manager it is there, but it is not listed anywhere else. I can't see it under preferences. Nothing.

Is there something I am doing wrong? HELP! There are some other programs I wish to use.
    On the 700p you should see it at the very end of Preferences, and also in Apps under IBM Java Virtual Machine.
    make sure you install it in the internal memory b/c it will not show up if installed onto the card.
    Treo 700p--> New to Treo Pro (SERO)
    GO BEARS!!!
    This same thing happened to me. I guess it installs fine on some people's phone & not on others. It showed up in my prefs list, but crashed everytime I tried to open it, and opera said java was not installed.

So here's the deal- java is ghey. Make do without it.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I think the only reason Java is hard to install is because it envolves reading the manual. It does work and its no special hardware. 9 out of 10 problems with any computer are user related. Try again.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    There is a thread here on Opera that has very precise instructions for installing JVM right at the beginning of the thread. Its about 6 months old.
    Well I guess I'm an id10t then b/c installing java is apparently beyond my range of talents. I've installed it every way I know how, including the exact same way I installed it on my 650 with NO problems & following the instructions, but I'm just too stoopid. I can't find this 6 month old thread either.

There's a reason the 700p isn't listed in the download area for java, it obviously doesn't work right with this device yet.

EDIT: OK I am a f'in *****, now for some reason it's installing just fine. God I hate life sometimes.
    Last edited by KabukiAssassin; 02/04/2007 at 09:38 PM.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    Well I guess I'm an id10t then b/c installing java is apparently beyond my range of talents. I've installed it every way I know how, including the exact same way I installed it on my 650 with NO problems & following the instructions, but I'm just too stoopid. I can't find this 6 month old thread either.

There's a reason the 700p isn't listed in the download area for java, it obviously doesn't work right with this device yet.

EDIT: OK I am a f'in *****, now for some reason it's installing just fine. God I hate life sometimes.
    We are all going through the same thing Kabuki.
    OK java is running & crashing 1 out of 5 times I use it. expected, I must say. opera sucks. every time I try to open a web page it loads halfway & then just closes. the entire browser- it just closes itself & goes to the home screen. BOOurns!
    make sure to increase the memory settings as described here (with pictures):

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...0&postcount=26

Also, I'd try to not use the stylus or a finger with Opera, if you can, use the 5-way to navigate links, it helps keep it stable. Also, don't click a link twice.
    Last edited by g-funkster; 02/05/2007 at 08:29 AM.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    OK java is running & crashing 1 out of 5 times I use it. expected, I must say. opera sucks. every time I try to open a web page it loads halfway & then just closes. the entire browser- it just closes itself & goes to the home screen. BOOurns!
    Yes, as g-funkster said, it's a memory problem, which I also described in this thread (close to the end). Easy to fix.
    Ohk, now to re-hash a topic since I cannot find the specific answer I was looking for via a search (yes, I searched and I know there are at least 20 Threads on this topic already)...

I installed and ran Java on my 650 without flaw for KMaps. That setup worked for at least 18 months until GoogleMaps came along. Now that I have my 700p (8 months), I cannot seem to get Java installed. I used to just email the files to myself, and install them from VersaMail. Replicating this puts the files on my 700p, but the J9JavaVMMidp20.prc always installs as a hidden app. So I use FileZ to unhide it. Once I do, it shows in the Apps screen as a small blue cube. On my 650, it used to show as a purple globe-like icon. So I deleted it, re-installed it, soft-reset my Treo, and double checked that I had both files installed (the JavaVMCheck_enUS.prc installs unhidden) and still the same thing happens...I have to unhide the main prc and it shows as a blue cube and when I tap on it, it takes me back to the App screen.

So in my research, it was mentioned that you might have to Hotsync it to work. But the inconsistency of others who have installed it via email leads me to believe that it can be done my way, as I have Vista on my laptop. I guess I will try out the VistaInstall and see if that corrects this but could there be anything else wrong?

It was also found in my research that there might be a need for 5 total files, instead of the 2 I was installing before. So I installed fileconnect.prc, pimop.prc, and PIMPrefs.prc. That didnt help either. Any insight as to why I might still be having problems? (oh, I am doing this because I want to try out the Gmail prc)
    I could not install via the card route, only a hotsync put the IBM Java icon into my applications screen. I also used the files that were listed in a thread on this forum concerning Java and Google Maps for the 700p. I was very frustrated in that I can't understand what the hotsync does that copying from a memory card or emailing the files using versamail does not accomplish, but let me tell you, in my case, using my verizon 700p, the hotsync method did work, the others did not.