1.    #1  
    My 2 month old unlocked Treo 680 slid off night stand (around 2 feet high) and fell on thick carpet floor and without hitting any other surface - i.e. bed frame or wall. When I picked it up - screen turned all white! Able to receive calls, and email alerts stills rings but I just don't see anything on the screen except white. Is this it for this unit? My 680 has been freezing lately while on a call and I had plans of calling Palm to figure things out and maybe sending it in - but with this latest mishap - I guess I'm out of luck. I still can't imagine how fragile the screen is on these 680s. I have been a 600 user for the longest time and dropped it several times on the driveway and it still works.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Did you try a taking the battery out for a while or a Hard Reset?
    Sounds like you cracked the LCD. 2 feet onto a carpet doesn't really matter, it depends on how it lands. You are unfortunate enough that it landed badly. I've dropped mine from higher up onto a wood floor and it's fine.

You can have palm replace the screen for (I've heard) around $180. It's not covered by warranty. When they look at it maybe you'll luck out and it's just a loose connector someplace although I doubt it.

It's also possible by now that replacement screens are available in the aftermarket and you can buy and replace yourself. It's usually not ridiculously hard.
  4.    #4  
    Christinac130 - Yes, I have done both a soft and hard reset. Phone functions continue to work but nothing is displaying on the screen.

Bigcatny - Thank you for your suggestions. I called Palm CS and they are quoting me $199 for the repair and if it is not repairable, I pay an additional $25 on top of the $199 to receive a replacement unit that is factory refurbished.
    gtfranc- I have a graphite treo 680 Just Two months old like yours. I got my lcd broken and now I'm looking at the same repair fee that you mentioned. As it is now I'm going to have to repair it myself.by purchasing a treo lcd and digitizer on ebay and replace it myself. I'm gonna be voiding my warranty doing this but as it is now my warranty is useless lol.

Anyway, If you find out about any other options out there please let me know.
    $224 is a fair price for a factory refurb unit. My friends in the cellphone business buy their refurbs for that price. Anyway, if you like the phone going the refurb route is better than forking out $400 for another one. I hate to say it but you did drop the thing, it's not really fair to expect the manufacturer to pay for that.
    Time for a 750?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by namekyoyo View Post
    gtfranc- I have a graphite treo 680 Just Two months old like yours. I got my lcd broken and now I'm looking at the same repair fee that you mentioned. As it is now I'm going to have to repair it myself.by purchasing a treo lcd and digitizer on ebay and replace it myself. I'm gonna be voiding my warranty doing this but as it is now my warranty is useless lol.

Anyway, If you find out about any other options out there please let me know.
    namekyoyo - how much are looking at going through your route of reparing it yourself?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    $224 is a fair price for a factory refurb unit. My friends in the cellphone business buy their refurbs for that price. Anyway, if you like the phone going the refurb route is better than forking out $400 for another one. I hate to say it but you did drop the thing, it's not really fair to expect the manufacturer to pay for that.
    yes, i agree - i don't expect the manufacturer to pay for it but at the same time as a consumer, i expect to receive a reliable product in exchange for the price i pay. like i said in my original post, it just fell off my night stand and landed on carpet flooring .... oh well...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    Time for a 750?
    might consider it but at the same time i have always been happy with the palm os and i'm not too fond of Windows
    Anyone has the link for Treo LCD, I just broke my Crimson 680
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    so what exactly does the warranty cover?
    Visor Neo-->Visor Edge-->Visor Prism(with Visorphone)-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 180-->Copper Treo 680-->Treo 270-->Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan View Post
    Anyone has the link for Treo LCD, I just broke my Crimson 680
    Seems to be a lot of this screen breakage being reported all of a sudden. Anyway, I was just reading on another blog (PalmAddict) of someone who suggests the following link for Palm repairs for Treo and PDAs. Haven't used it myself, but know it has been recommended a few times there by others who swear by it:

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...epair_ser.html

Good luck!