Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    After having my TX stolen from my rental car on a ski trip last weekend , I just upgraded to a 680 I was wondering, as a new "Treoer?" is there anything that you guys recommend for a new Treoer to know, apps to use, opinions, tips, tricks, etc?

    I also have a few specific question about the 680,

    Is there anything that I should do first when I receive my 680? I have read in different places that I should charge it to 100% and then go back down to 0% a couple of times, is this true? Should I do something else?

    Some accessory questions,

    Does anyone recommend a "680 headphone jack to regular headphone jack" accessory? is the one Palm sells for $10 ok?

    Is there a skin case that covers the screen with a clear, flexible, plastic membrane, that still lets you use the screen? I love some of the skins, but I would like some screen protection too....


    Thanks a lot,

    Purdue
  2. #2  
    Re opinions, tips etc, I suggest browsing through the last few months of a few of the forums plus any FAQs. The 680 hasn't been out that long. There are a number of app lists. Of course you'll have to try them to see whether they fit your needs.

    As for the battery, install the camera update from Palm. Apparently the camera would drain the battery over time. Other than that, you'll hear different things. As well, search the forums for battery. There's lots of advice. Letting it run down a few times won't hurt and may help. I did early on but that was before the camera update. The other thing that was suggested was that the battery meter didn't register properly. The fix was to do what they called a cradle reset. No, you don't really need a cradle. Do a search. Palm has some knowledge base documents as well.

    In any case, my battery life seems fine and others have reported better.

    Bob
  3. #3  
  4. #4  
    I use two Boxwave (www.boxwave.com) products - the rubbery Flexiskin cover (water resistant, adds improved grip, protector against dings) and their ClearTouch screen protector.

    The only caveat I would have on the screen protector is to take a close look at it before installing - two were bowed and would peel up from the edges. Fortunately, the 'bricks and mortar' retailer I bought the original from replaced it for free and sent the batch pack to the Company

    There are alll sorts of cases out there of varying types, while Sena (www.senacases.com) makes a line of excellent leather cases, too.

    Meanwhile, pity about your TX being stolen. You'll miss your wifi and big screen - and the lack of programs like Notes, Expense and Favorites. I beamed all those over from my TX to my 680 via FileZ....

    Meanwhile, I'd recommend the freeware NVBackup and the aforementioned FileZ for your Treo. Oh, and perhaps something big and heavy to bolt your Treo to when you go skiiing?

    ;-)
    Last edited by MleB; 02/04/2007 at 09:34 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    I use two Boxwave (www.boxwave.com) products - the rubbery Flexiskin cover (water resistant, adds improved grip, protector against dings) and their ClearTouch screen protector.

    The only caveat I would have on the screen protector is to take a close look at it before installing - two were bowed and would peel up from the edges. Fortunately, the 'bricks and mortar' retailer I bought the original from replaced it for free and sent the batch pack to the Company

    There are alll sorts of cases out there of varying types, while Sena (www.senacases.com) makes a line of excellent leather cases, too.

    Meanwhile, pity about your TX being stolen. You'll miss your wifi and big screen - and the lack of programs like Notes, Expense and Favorites. I beamed all those over from my TX to my 680 via FileZ....

    Meanwhile, I'd recommend the freeware NVBackup and the aforementioned FileZ for your Treo. Oh, and perhaps something big and heavy to bolt your Treo to when you go skiiing?

    ;-)

    Thanks everyone for the information. I will do all that has been said. For that Boxwave Flexiskin, does that add a lot of bulk? Does it take away a lot of the forum factor? Also is the flip down screen protector easy to remove?

    Thanks a lot,

    Purdue
    Last edited by purdue1014; 02/04/2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Also.....
  6. #6  
    No, the flexiskin is like a wetsuit - very clingy and not much bulk at all. The screen protector is applied directly to the Treo's screen. It comes up easily enough and can be wiped with a soft cloth for cleaning - or even removed and washed, if so inclined.

    Sena has a leather case with a small magnetic catch on the top of the front flap which drops down to its 'hinge' at the bottom. The case itself adds even less bulk - being leather - while the flap adds a little - but then, it also has slots for spare SD cards....
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    No, the flexiskin is like a wetsuit - very clingy and not much bulk at all. The screen protector is applied directly to the Treo's screen. It comes up easily enough and can be wiped with a soft cloth for cleaning - or even removed and washed, if so inclined.

    Sena has a leather case with a small magnetic catch on the top of the front flap which drops down to its 'hinge' at the bottom. The case itself adds even less bulk - being leather - while the flap adds a little - but then, it also has slots for spare SD cards....

    Thanks a lot! The flip down screen protector is plexi-glass, right?


    Purdue
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbd View Post
    ... The other thing that was suggested was that the battery meter didn't register properly. The fix was to do what they called a cradle reset. No, you don't really need a cradle. Do a search. Palm has some knowledge base documents as well. ...
    Just be skeptical of the so-called "cradle reset." Although it is mentioned in the same paragraph here as the Palm knowledge base, in fact Palm has never contributed to the possible mythology of the famed "cradle reset." Its origins are variously attributed, but it appears to have no basis in either Palm or science. That's why several on this board also suggest turning around twice while doing the so-called cradle reset and saying the magic words, "Rabbit, Rabbit."
  9. #9  
    My advice: Install all your apps fresh on the new device. (You can sync over your contacts, calendar, etc. but not anything else.) Ie: don't let the install transfer your 3rd party apps. I'm not a 680 owner, but during my transfer from a 600 to a 700p, I ran into lots of instability, and the general advice (from 600 to 650 owners) was to do the fresh install. The reason they gave for this was that the preferences may be saved differently on different devices, and the palm install will just sync over the old structure.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!

Posting Permissions