1.    #1  
    Well, I hate to say it, but after just one day with this 680 I'm buying myself another unbranded/unlocked 650.

The 680 just isn't what I thought it was going to be. Sure the 65mb of internal memory are AWESOME, but I can just pick up a nice 2gb sd card and be on my way.

The 680 is sluggish as hell moving from app to app, I can't stand this new phone app, the killed screen real estate with it in the contacts page is just annoying.

I've had nothing but problems with my service/sim card.. (may be a bad sim card, but it works just fine in my other 650).

I'll just have to buy myself a new antenna from zoti and be on my mary way.

Just throught I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Anyone want to buy a graphite one day old 680(unbranded)? Or maybe I'll just see how well palm is as far as returns go.

Can't say that I didnt try. I LOVE the form factor of the 680, but I'll wait until palm releases some powerhouse 800p GSM(wishful thinking maybe).. or get pushed into a 750w.

Thanks for all the help along the way though
    2GB card does nowhere near replace 64M of ram. You can only put so much onto the card, even with ZLauncher. I was down to 6M free on mine, which was barely cutting it for using Navigator. And the heap and dbcache space is MUCH larger.

One day.. Give me a break.
  3.    #3  
    Maybe I just got a lemon. I spent over 14 hours with this thing and it just moved around so slow. Compared to my 650 I could get into certain apps and out before the 680 even opened them.

By no means am I trying to be fully negative about the phone, it was just a bit of a let down.

Not to mention, anytime I had full service on the phone it would just reset itself sitting on my desk once every hour.

Can you explain the heap and dbcache to me? what difference wold I notice with the 680 compared to the 650.

for me it seems that the downfalls just dont give me enough to want to keep the phone.
    how much?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    did you try installing that camera update prc?
  6.    #6  
    milkham, I didnt because of a few people telling me it would cause my phone to freeze/crash when on a call. Battery drain believe it or not, was NOT a problem for me what so ever.

Sigma, PM me.
    I had the same problem with a graphite unlocked 680. I was about to call it quits until I returned it and re-ordered an artic one. You've got 30 days to return the product without any problems. My artic has had no problems, it's quick and problem free with excellent battery life. I use extensive medical apps and was going nuts by the slow button response. Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Love84 View Post
    milkham, I didnt because of a few people telling me it would cause my phone to freeze/crash when on a call. Battery drain believe it or not, was NOT a problem for me what so ever.

Sigma, PM me.

BS The camera patch did not make my phone any more prone to freezing or crashing. It did improve the battery life.

All that said, the 650 is still a fine device. especially if you are already happy with the memory on the 650.
  9.    #9  
    yeah, by no means was I looking to bash the 680. I've just used a 650 for so long it's just 2nd nature to me. With the OS being 95% similar.. it was hard for me to transition into it it seemed. IF i went to a WM device, it'd be such a drastic change I'd be used to it in less then a day.

oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Love84 View Post
    Maybe I just got a lemon. I spent over 14 hours with this thing and it just moved around so slow. Compared to my 650 I could get into certain apps and out before the 680 even opened them.

By no means am I trying to be fully negative about the phone, it was just a bit of a let down.

Not to mention, anytime I had full service on the phone it would just reset itself sitting on my desk once every hour.

Can you explain the heap and dbcache to me? what difference wold I notice with the 680 compared to the 650.

for me it seems that the downfalls just dont give me enough to want to keep the phone.
    Crashing sitting on your desk only has two reasons... Bad software, or bad hardware. What software did you have installed?

And.... how do you know battery life wasn't a problem if you only had it one day?
    You might have just gotten a defective one...I'd exchange it. There's no speed difference, in switching apps, between my 650 and 680.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Also did you sync with the 650 folder ........ because that can cause a problem as well ........... just a thought.
    In your original posting it sounded like you implied that you used the same SIM card that you used in your 650. If that was the case, it'd cause the 680 to run a lot slower. I mistakenly did this when I first got my 680 and thought I could just sync my profile from my last 650 update and transfer the same SIM card from my 650 - WRONG. The 680 needs the newest version of SIM card, and you MUST set up the 680 palm desktop from the software provided with the phone and very carefully add supported 3rd party applications fresh onto the new device. When set up properly, my 680 made my old 650 a lot easier to live without.
    I'm with Matthew. My 680 is slow, has a bad battery life and does freeze sometimes with an incoming call. Switching screens in the launcher has a noticable lag, sometimes pressing a softkey 2-3 seconds nothing happens. Opening a Docs to go files (20-50 Kb in size) takes up to 3-5 seconds longer than on my 650. The batterylife has been totaly unpredictable the last week. My 680 once lasted two days on a single charge and the next day, with almost the same kind of use, I was down to 12% before the end of my working day. The patch didn't improve anything. Most of the time the capacity is down to 40-50% after a day with very little use of GSM and GPRS.

And believe me, I did every trick read on several fora, did some voodoo dances as advised by some....only charged my treo at full moon....never used it on tuesdays......always used a demagnetized stylus...an took the 680 with the right hand out of the holster

in short....I did everything possible to improve the behavior of my 680. One thing is weird. After deinstalling the camerapatch...the freezing stopped, at least the last two days. BTW...I only used my Treo without any 3rd party software installed, only the palm patch. I even did a full install of my computer with the lastest hotsync software version and didn't use any old backup.
    My old 650 is way better than my 680!
    Last edited by Celf; 02/06/2007 at 11:43 AM.
    TTIWWOP of your voo doo dance
    SKIIMHP. and BMOTH
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma pi View Post
    TTIWWOP of your voo doo dance
    People thought I'd been drinking too much.....so no pictures...sorry