Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How can Palm disigen and sell a product with only a few hours of battery life? I have tried everything to enhance the battery life. I still need to be tetherd to my charger. My 650 held a charge for almost 3 days. My 680 is always warm to the touch. I think thire is some kind of softwere problem causing a drain on the battery. Never the less, I should not be haveing this problem with a phone that I slapped down $400.00 for, that I can now get for free.
    I WANT TO STICK WITH THE PALM OS. I do not know what to do. I run a big business and I need a functional smartphone that works well.
    I tried customer service at Palm and at Cingular. I got nowhere with that.
    UH............GR...........FFFFFFFFFFF
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgdoc View Post
    My 680 is always warm to the touch...
    I think that this would qualify you for a new phone if you take it in to a Sprint store. Something is definitely wrong there.
    I agree that the phone should not be warm and I'd take it to the CINGULAR store myself.

Does everyone not remember that the 680 is a consumer phone NOT a business phone? My phone will go for 2 days without a charge with regular email gets and phone use.
    In addition, reduced battery life is the penalty for slimmer designs. Ben
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    I agree that the phone should not be warm and I'd take it to the CINGULAR store myself.

Does everyone not remember that the 680 is a consumer phone NOT a business phone? My phone will go for 2 days without a charge with regular email gets and phone use.
    Same here. I easily get two days of battery life with at least 30-40% to spare before recharging.
    Since the camera-patch, I easily make the day with 60% left. I don't use any data, but that's with 6-12 calls, BT on quite a bit, pTunes, Core Player for a while, etc.
    Does everyone not remember that the 680 is a consumer phone NOT a business phone?
    Great point, even Palm will tell you that the 680 is not the phone to "run a big business" with. The 700P is a much better phone for that, that is, if you want to stick with Palm OS.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Did you get it from Cingular? Did you get it from a store? I would ask them (nicely) if they could replace the defective 680 they have sold you. It should _not_ be warm all the time. That's likely related to your poor battery life.

Are you pushing email 24/7? What apps are you using? It could be also that you are using lots of online apps all the time and flogging the pip-squeak 680 battery.
    Absolutely, the *Cingular* store would probably be more appropriate.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Get the Seido extended battery with the larger battery cover

HOWEVER, even Cingular lists it under smartphones and sells graphite(the business color) first. AND it's clearly a revamped 650. Look at some of the apps included with it. Not a business phone? Sure. Palm can try that route, but look how many 650 owners "upgraded" to the 680. Apparently they think it's a business phone and I think Palm secretly knew that would happen.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's a smartphone where else would it be categorized? And everyone knows the other three colors are exclusive to Palm. But we've also heard the rumors that won't be the case much longer. However, that last point is moot since it hasn't happened yet. Just because many 650 users upgraded to it doesn't mean it's a business phone. Yes, I realize that 650 GSM users had no other options but to get a 680 if their 650 was on its last leg, but that still doesn't make it a phone for big business. Which apps make the 680 a business phone? Docs To Go and VersaMail are the only questionable apps I see that might scream "business phone." Then again consumers do use email. And when you factor in Palm's Music Pack bundle, you get consumer phone.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
    How can Palm disigen and sell a product with only a few hours of battery life? I have tried everything to enhance the battery life. I still need to be tetherd to my charger. My 650 held a charge for almost 3 days. My 680 is always warm to the touch. I think thire is some kind of softwere problem causing a drain on the battery. Never the less, I should not be haveing this problem with a phone that I slapped down $400.00 for, that I can now get for free.
    I WANT TO STICK WITH THE PALM OS. I do not know what to do. I run a big business and I need a functional smartphone that works well.
    I tried customer service at Palm and at Cingular. I got nowhere with that.
    UH............GR...........FFFFFFFFFFF
    have you installed the battery patch from palm?
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jessi_9783 View Post
    It's a smartphone where else would it be categorized? And everyone knows the other three colors are exclusive to Palm. But we've also heard the rumors that won't be the case much longer. However, that last point is moot since it hasn't happened yet. Just because many 650 users upgraded to it doesn't mean it's a business phone. Yes, I realize that 650 GSM users had no other options but to get a 680 if their 650 was on its last leg, but that still doesn't make it a phone for big business. Which apps make the 680 a business phone? Docs To Go and VersaMail are the only questionable apps I see that might scream "business phone." Then again consumers do use email. And when you factor in Palm's Music Pack bundle, you get consumer phone.
    The people I know who got one use it for BUSINESS. They see this as the successor to the 650, no matter what Palm wants to say it is. Even on this board, many are using the phone for business. I have not seen one average consumer with one, at least in my area. Average consumers get "dumb" phones usually around here. How many average consumers even know Palm has colored 680s? Since many have a habit of letting the carriers tell them what phones are available instead of looking for themselves. T680 may have been intended as a consumer smartphone, but it didn't necessarily pan out that way. And I seriously have a hard time believing Palm didn't hope quite a few 650 owners would "upgrade".
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for all of your responses. Any phone should not run out of power after a short time. Yesterday (Sunday), I was not using my phone for business. At around 4:00pm the batery was gone. I am sorry, I don't buy that buisness-consumer issue. Just because I am a business man does not mean I must settle for a phone that drains too fast. My kids razor phone lasts 2-3 days on a charge, and he uses his more than I use mine.
    Lets face the facts. Palm released a product that is just...well...bad. So bad that they ought to be sued.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Did you get it from Cingular? Did you get it from a store? I would ask them (nicely) if they could replace the defective 680 they have sold you. It should _not_ be warm all the time. That's likely related to your poor battery life.

Are you pushing email 24/7? What apps are you using? It could be also that you are using lots of online apps all the time and flogging the pip-squeak 680 battery.

You still haven't mentioned if you have asked the store for a replacement. Your 680 should not be 'warm' all the time unless you either have

1. a defective unit (and they will replace it if you are polite).

2. severely misbehaving 3rd party applications (in which case you should remove the apps.)

If I use my 680 as a phone... That is, no constant or recurring connection to GPRS, just phone and texting, it easily lasts several days. Your case is unusual and should be addressed by a replacement unless you are using 3rd party programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The people I know who got one use it for BUSINESS.
    Exactly... Everyone who I know that has one uses it as a business phone. With the improvements over the 650, it is a better business phone than is the 650. For example, with the improved call quality and handling, I feel more confident on business calls with clients than I did with the 650. With that faster internet connections, I can hangle bigger email attachments. Even the new Microsoft direct push email was announced for the 680. That is clearly a business feature.

People who keep calling this "consumer" phone just because Palm does have sucummed to Palm's marketing communications. Palm wants to sell more phones by convincing business users they need to buy the more expensive 750. And they want "consumers" who would have bought a feature phone to buy a 680 instead.

G
    The smaller battery makes it a consumer phone regardless of the other features.

But the point is NOT what the phone is called. Obviously many if not most people using smartphones in the US are doing business because right now that is the culture here. No doubt most of the early adopters will do business and the phone functions fine for that also. In fact palm is helping people by making it possible to do business by adding features like Exchange compatibility and that's just good support. However it is not fair to slam palm for making a bad business phone when they clearly state, that it's not the phones intention.

You can say, as a business phone it has limitations such as battery life, that would be fairer.

As for the poor battery life of MTGDOC's phone. Most people here already told you it's not acting normally and told you to get it exchanged. That your continuing to use the phone and not rectify the situation is now completely your fault. Either hate the phone, stop using it and stop complaining OR get it fixed. What your doing is a waste of everyone's time.
    The smaller battery makes it a consumer phone regardless of the other features.
    By that definition, the 750 is a consumer phone since they have the same battery.
    Thanks for all of your responses. Any phone should not run out of power after a short time. Yesterday (Sunday), I was not using my phone for business. At around 4:00pm the batery was gone. I am sorry, I don't buy that buisness-consumer issue. Just because I am a business man does not mean I must settle for a phone that drains too fast. My kids razor phone lasts 2-3 days on a charge, and he uses his more than I use mine.
    Lets face the facts. Palm released a product that is just...well...bad. So bad that they ought to be sued.
    Blah blah blah.. You're running something on the phone that's using lots of battery, or you have a hardware problem. Period. Simple, that's it.

My phone WITH ONLINE DATA PUSH EMAIL going all day, VeriChat online all day, 10-15m of calls, quite a bit of mucking around with various programs, etc, is down to about 15% at the end of the day, which is about 18 hours. If you're saying you're not using yours and it's dead in about 8 hours then something is wrong.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast