Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    By that definition, the 750 is a consumer phone since they have the same battery.
    The 750 is not palm OS and the screen is Not the same. It's like saying a 6 cylinder gas engine is the same as a 6 cylinder diesel engine. Same car, NOT the same thing.

    But as I said, that doesn't actually matter. They TOLD you it's not a business machine. Just because you choose not listen is not their fault.

    MOST IMPORTANTLY though is that my machine works as advertised and that makes me much happier than having system resets several times a week with my 650.
  2.    #22  
    Replacement phone is on the way. I am sorry if I am wasting anyones time with this thread. I like this forum and try to be professional with my questions and comments.
    I disagree with anyone who thinks this is my fault. I just bought the top of the line Palm OS based product. What did I do worng? Perhaps that was my mistake.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The people I know who got one use it for BUSINESS. They see this as the successor to the 650, no matter what Palm wants to say it is. Even on this board, many are using the phone for business. I have not seen one average consumer with one, at least in my area. Average consumers get "dumb" phones usually around here. How many average consumers even know Palm has colored 680s? Since many have a habit of letting the carriers tell them what phones are available instead of looking for themselves. T680 may have been intended as a consumer smartphone, but it didn't necessarily pan out that way. And I seriously have a hard time believing Palm didn't hope quite a few 650 owners would "upgrade".
    Smartphones have always been marketed to business people. This is the first smartphone marketed to CONSUMERS. Palm is trying to prove smartphones can be used for more than just business. The fact that this phone is even offered in other colors says it's a consumer phone. Most business people and the people on this board have plain graphite. I agree that consumers don't know about the other colors at Palm, but I think that's Cingular's fault. All four colors should have been there from jump. Of course Palm expected 650 users to upgrade to 680s. Consumers don't need BlackBerry Connect or Exchange. They did that because they knew business people would use it, but still this Treo is a consumer phone. I also think Palm expects Z22 users will upgrade to it. The Z22 is a consumer handheld it makes since for them to upgrade. The 680 is a wonderful consumer phone, but not a good business phone. I bought it as a consumer because I'm a gadget junkie and a PalmOS lover. I've had a PalmOS device since I was 16, I'm 23 now. I work in radio and I use my 680 for business and have great battery life, but the battery life isn't what I would expect to have out of a business phone. I'm not disappointed by the 680 simply because I know what this phone is and what it isn't. I also can swap out the battery if the need arises. But I haven't had to do that very often. With that said, the 680 fits both my consumer wants and business needs and I know how lucky I am that it does.
    ~Jessi~

    Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgdoc View Post
    Replacement phone is on the way. I am sorry if I am wasting anyones time with this thread. I like this forum and try to be professional with my questions and comments.
    I disagree with anyone who thinks this is my fault. I just bought the top of the line Palm OS based product. What did I do worng? Perhaps that was my mistake.
    No, you didn't buy the top of the line PalmOS Treo. The Treo 700p is the top of the line.
    ~Jessi~

    Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgdoc View Post
    Replacement phone is on the way. I am sorry if I am wasting anyones time with this thread. I like this forum and try to be professional with my questions and comments.
    I disagree with anyone who thinks this is my fault. I just bought the top of the line Palm OS based product. What did I do worng? Perhaps that was my mistake.
    Don't let it get to you. Some people on TC are very defensive of Palm and don't always see that it's Palm who may have a problem. They already released a battery patch under the guise of a camera patch. That tells you that this phone had a problem when it left the factory.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    The smaller battery makes it a consumer phone regardless of the other features. The 750 has the same battery and has always been marketed as a business phone.

    But the point is NOT what the phone is called. Obviously many if not most people using smartphones in the US are doing business because right now that is the culture here. No doubt most of the early adopters will do business and the phone functions fine for that also. In fact palm is helping people by making it possible to do business by adding features like Exchange compatibility and that's just good support. However it is not fair to slam palm for making a bad business phone when they clearly state, that it's not the phones intention. Regardless of what Palm wants to call it, it's a GSM "upgrade" to the 650. And what did we use the 650 for? Now maybe they should have released the 700p(since that is clearly a business phone) in GSM, but they didn't. So GSM Palm OS users have the 680 or they have to stay with the 650. Palm had to know people were going to use the phone for business.

    You can say, as a business phone it has limitations such as battery life, that would be fairer.

    As for the poor battery life of MTGDOC's phone. Most people here already told you it's not acting normally and told you to get it exchanged. That your continuing to use the phone and not rectify the situation is now completely your fault. Either hate the phone, stop using it and stop complaining OR get it fixed. What your doing is a waste of everyone's time.
    People complain about problems all the time on TC. This poster is different for some reason?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #27  
    Got my new phone. I did not have time to test the battery drain problem as I just activated it. Guess what?...The bluetooth does not work on the refurfished phone. My first 680 had to be exchanged for the same problem. Maybe they sent me back my original phone. You gota believe me...I don't even return bad food at a diner. I am not a complainer. I just want a phone that works. I will search a thread about bluetooth problems.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgdoc View Post
    Got my new phone. I did not have time to test the battery drain problem as I just activated it. Guess what?...The bluetooth does not work on the refurfished phone. My first 680 had to be exchanged for the same problem. Maybe they sent me back my original phone. You gota believe me...I don't even return bad food at a diner. I am not a complainer. I just want a phone that works. I will search a thread about bluetooth problems.
    Ouch! Bluetooth doesn't work at all? They should just give you a new phone. (I would if I were in charge of customer returns.... but I'm not... sorry.) Hope you get it sorted out though.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgdoc View Post
    Replacement phone is on the way. I am sorry if I am wasting anyones time with this thread. I like this forum and try to be professional with my questions and comments.
    I disagree with anyone who thinks this is my fault. I just bought the top of the line Palm OS based product. What did I do worng? Perhaps that was my mistake.
    Dont worry about it - there are some people who think it is OK to be belligerent in these forums - it is best to ignore them and focus on the helpful responses. These discussion sites are here for people to ask questions, relay their observations, and provide constructive feedback where appropriate. Arrogant responses from people who seem to think that their opinion is beyond doubt are usually of little value - they are often wrong!
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    ...
    MOST IMPORTANTLY though is that my machine works as advertised and that makes me much happier than having system resets several times a week with my 650.
    I like the 680 better than the 650 basically because of the vast increase in memory. Most things work better. However, my phone resets more than several times a week, very often several times a day, so in that respect there is not much difference. Most annoyingly, Blazer takes FOREVER to load--easily 30 seconds, even though I've cleaned up everything and varied the settings entirely. The 680 might on balance be no better or worse for some users than the 650, although for me the increase in memory makes it more desirable. But not because it is relatively reset-free. Far from it.
  11. #31  
    After a day with the psychologist and the divorce attorney I need to say that perhaps outside circumstances have caused my previous postings on this thread to be more aggressive than necessary, intended or deserved. So I'd like to apologize.
    Nuff said on that....
  12. #32  
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/

    If you go to the (US) Palm site, the 650 is listed as "no longer available". So what is the replacement then for GSM users?? The 680 is the only listed available Palm OS option there.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by baje View Post
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/

    If you go to the (US) Palm site, the 650 is listed as "no longer available". So what is the replacement then for GSM users?? The 680 is the only listed available Palm OS option there.
    um.. What are you looking for here? The 680 is the 650 GSM Palm OS replacement.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I like the 680 better than the 650 basically because of the vast increase in memory. Most things work better. However, my phone resets more than several times a week, very often several times a day, so in that respect there is not much difference. Most annoyingly, Blazer takes FOREVER to load--easily 30 seconds, even though I've cleaned up everything and varied the settings entirely. The 680 might on balance be no better or worse for some users than the 650, although for me the increase in memory makes it more desirable. But not because it is relatively reset-free. Far from it.
    Mine only resets perhaps once or twice a week now.. Some initial software was a little quirky, and for some reason sometimes if I mess around inside FontSmoother it gets crashy (but it just being active and doing its job, no problem) so you might want to look at what software you have installed if you're having several crashes a day.

    I can't think of the last time it crashed, come to think of it.. Taking out when I was adjusting something in FontSmoother, and a few manual soft resets (stupid Verichat keeps sticking on "in voice call" and reset is the only way I've found to fix it)..
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    um.. What are you looking for here? The 680 is the 650 GSM Palm OS replacement.
    That's my exact point!! People are trying to argue that we should expect battery life to be crappy because the 680 is somehow considered a "consumer" grade device but that's just it- it's the replacement to the 650, has the same specs but upgraded a bit in fact. I was merely highlighting this fact.
  16.    #36  
    Ok, After one day with my new referbished phone, I have used LESS THAN half the battery life. I have used my phone all day. Now I am happy. Oh yeah, my blue tooth is now working. So it was the phone after all. Thanks to all. Now I will have to find something else to complain about.
  17.    #37  
    Hey, BigcatNY, I am going through the same crap as you are. At least my phone is working.
  18. #38  
    Yay for the replacement phone working ... finally!
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    After a day with the psychologist and the divorce attorney I need to say that perhaps outside circumstances have caused my previous postings on this thread to be more aggressive than necessary, intended or deserved. So I'd like to apologize.
    Nuff said on that....
    Talk about ouch! I went through all that too...it gets easier. That was a nice (be it MANLY!) apology I could almost feel the GRRRRRR through my screen...

    mtgdoc...glad you got your phone working! Were you within your 30-day return period? I'm surprised you got a refurb??

    Hehe...funny thread.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgdoc View Post
    Ok, After one day with my new referbished phone, I have used LESS THAN half the battery life. I have used my phone all day. Now I am happy. Oh yeah, my blue tooth is now working. So it was the phone after all. Thanks to all. Now I will have to find something else to complain about.
    "All is well that ends well."
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions