Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had this happen today and was just curious if any other Sprint customers have encountered this. I have had the usual problems with my 700p, crappy B/T, random reboots, random shutdowns, lockups, etc, and all on a daily basis. Today I call Sprint to change my plan, and before I speak to a rep, their phone system says it has to perform an update on my account. It tells me when the update is complete and then connects me to a rep. I didn't mention anything to her. When I hung up the call, my 700p said, "OTA Update Complete". I'm assuming OTA is Over The Air. At any rate, since the update, I have had zero problems with my 700p. B/T is better and the unit is stable. I haven't made any changes to my Treo at all. Anyone else have this happen?
    it was a prl update.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ????
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProAV8R View Post
    I had this happen today and was just curious if any other Sprint customers have encountered this. I have had the usual problems with my 700p, crappy B/T, random reboots, random shutdowns, lockups, etc, and all on a daily basis. Today I call Sprint to change my plan, and before I speak to a rep, their phone system says it has to perform an update on my account. It tells me when the update is complete and then connects me to a rep. I didn't mention anything to her. When I hung up the call, my 700p said, "OTA Update Complete". I'm assuming OTA is Over The Air. At any rate, since the update, I have had zero problems with my 700p. B/T is better and the unit is stable. I haven't made any changes to my Treo at all. Anyone else have this happen?
    Hey, I just followed your directions and called *2 and I got the same "update" thing, not sure what it does yet, but hopefully it'll help !!!
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    it was a prl update.

what is a prl update?? will this help b/t etc??????
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    There are a gazillion threads on PRL's; Preferred Roaming List. They control which network and in what order you roam on. Has no affect on phone/firmware operation.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    No, it is not a firmware update or anything that will change your performance. It is simply an update of the Preferred Roaming Locations that can enable your device to find appropriate towers better for phone service, as I understand it.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    To be honest since the update my device has also run alot better. We can go back and forth on wether is was prl or not, but bottom line performance wise the device is alot faster and w/o errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    To be honest since the update my device has also run alot better. We can go back and forth on wether is was prl or not, but bottom line performance wise the device is alot faster and w/o errors.
    The update was a PRL update. Period.
    I am afraid nsxprime is correct It's a PRL update
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    The update was a PRL update. Period.
    Did you even read my post I could care less if it was a prl update or not? I'm stating that my performance has enhanced greatly since the update.
    I find that the lags and performance quirks are tied to network searching/switching. So, it seems feasible that a PRL update could effect performance in that the Treo may not have to make as many adjustments due to changing signal strength.
    I agree with shopharim. An advanced tech support guy from Sprint argued with me the PRL affecting battery life and some phone performance issues. He said it had nothing to do with it. I had better battery life and less slow downs with some PRL updates and I believe it is due to network/provider/roaming/freq switching.
    I did the PRL update last night by dialing *2, this PRL updated looked different than previous ones. When I say look different I mean looking at my Treos screen the update had a different look to it than previous PRL updates. I don't know what it did, but I did it anyway
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    so is there a 20226 prl out there?
    How do I verify whether I have a new PRL, and what is the latest version?
    Phone Main Screen
    Press Menu button
    Options
    Phone Info

I have 20225 (Sprint 700P)
    Perry, thanks for the quick reply!

I have PRL Rev: 20221 (Sprint 700P)
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    So I have 20224 and tried calling *2....it said something about downloading Superbowl 40 halftime songs then it hung up on me...is there anyway to force this update?

Thanks,
    S
    Interesting. My OTA prl updates always just seem to "happen", I have never had to call Customer Service (that's *2, right?) and request it. . . .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast