1.    #1  
    As some of you may be aware, Natara Software (makers of Bonsai, DayNotez, Comet, etc.) is located just outside of Chicago, home of the NFC champion Chicago Bears football teem. This Sunday the Bears play against the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLI. The last time the Bears went to the Super Bowl it was Super Bowl XX. We thought we would have a little fun with this. From now until the end of the game, Natara is offering XX% (20%) off any orders placed through its online store. If (or should I say "when") the Bears win Super Bowl XLI, at the end of the game we will change the discount amount to XLI% (41%) and extend it until the end of the day Tuesday.

Of course, the discount code is "GoBears".

PS: The 20% discount is only valid until the end of the game.
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    I guess you meant to say (but didn't) what would happen in the event that the Bears do not win. It would be nice if you offered a "score difference" discount as a cosolation prize. Ie: If the Bears loose by 7 points, the discount until Tuesday would be 7%. (This would show *real confidence* in your team!)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    What a wonderfully inventive offer!! Good on 'ya, Natara.

However, since I already own DayNotez, Bonsai and Comet, I guess I can afford to say....

GO COLTS!!!

I already have DayNotez (love it). I've been thinking about buying Bonsai too. A 41% discount would make that decision very easy. I have no ties to Chicago or Indianapolis, so I'll say "Go Bears!".
    I also have DayNotez (great program) and Comet (excellent), but not Bonsai. I didn't understand the part where the offer says:

"If (or should I say "when") the Bears win Super Bowl XLI, at the end of the game we will change the discount amount to XLI% (41%) and extend it until the end of the day Tuesday."

Does this mean that even if we don't order it before the game ends, IF the Bears win, we can still buy it until Teusday for 41% off? That's my interpretation anyway.

Heck, this gives me an incentive to actually watch the game! Gimme my discount Bears!
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I also have DayNotez (great program) and Comet (excellent), but not Bonsai. I didn't understand the part where the offer says:

"If (or should I say "when") the Bears win Super Bowl XLI, at the end of the game we will change the discount amount to XLI% (41%) and extend it until the end of the day Tuesday."

Does this mean that even if we don't order it before the game ends, IF the Bears win, we can still buy it until Teusday for 41% off? That's my interpretation anyway.

Heck, this gives me an incentive to actually watch the game! Gimme my discount Bears!
    My interpretation of the offer is that the 20% discount is only in effect until the game ends. After the game, the discount amount changes. With a Bears win, the discount increases to 41% through Tuesday. If the Bears lose, the price reverts to the normal retail price. Of course, this is just my interpretation. The only interpretation that counts is that of Natara's.
    Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1 View Post
    My interpretation of the offer is that the 20% discount is only in effect until the game ends. After the game, the discount amount changes. With a Bears win, the discount increases to 41% through Tuesday. If the Bears lose, the price reverts to the normal retail price. Of course, this is just my interpretation. The only interpretation that counts is that of Natara's.
    That's the way I see it too. (I tried to get Byran to offer a consolation discount in case the impossible happens but he, so far, has not taken that bait!)
    Last edited by sudoer; 02/04/2007 at 01:35 PM.
    Since many of you use this software, maybe you can share your any evaluations you've done against some similar software that I already use:

vs Bonsai;
    I use ShadowPlan (www.codejedi.com) on both the desktop and the
    laptop. I really like Shadow Plan, and I use it extensively on the
    desktop. (I also have a license for LifeBalance, which is great for
    helping to juggle multiple priorities. I tend to use Shadow Plan when
    I don't have multiple priorites and only go back to Life Balance when
    life gives me competing things to do.

vs DayNotes/Comet:
    I've never used a paper planner so maybe I don't know what I'm
    missing without having DayNotes. I'd like to get better at journaling
    my activities, but without having done much of this so far in my life,
    I'm not sure how often I'd go back to use whatever information I have
    journaled.

PS: Agendue has a journal entry feature. I tend not to use this too
    much because there doesn't seem to be an easy way to go back and
    review whatever I wrote in the journal.

Regarding Comet, I currently use YourCall from Iambic. A also use
    Agendus (Primier) Desktop and Palm. When I want to take notes for
    a call, I open up the contact in Agendus desktop, start a "New Call"
    for this contact, and record my notes. Once the call has ended,
    YourCall pops up, and I select something like "Create a new task",
    which creates a task with the start time and duration of the call into
    a note. I open the note and cut and past the above info into the
    call notes that I had written during the call.

I guess most calls I don't need to log. I'm a software tester, not a
    lawyer. Sometimes I make calls from my work/home phones instead
    of my cell phone. Sometimes I use Skype on my laptop over Internet.
    Sometimes I used VoIP from my Treo. Is there some advantages you
    see that Comet might give for my use? (It looks to me like I don't
    need this.)

Summary/PreliminaryConclusion:
    DayNotes might offer me something, but I don't think Bonsai or Comet
    will buy me that much. Does anyone see or know anything else about
    these programs or anything that I should research?

thanks,
    --
    Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 02/04/2007 at 01:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Since many of you use this software, maybe you can share your any evaluations you've done against some similar software that I already use:
    I haven't used all of the alternative apps that you mentioned, but I'll provide some of my thoughts on why I personally would or would not use the Natara offerings.

DayNotez - I had been an avid DayRunner (paper) user for a number of years, but abandoned it way back when I got my first Palm (Palm III). The built-in Palm DateBook and To-Do apps replaced the paper versions quite easily, but Memos was not nearly as good of a replacement. DayNotez is a great replacement. I have both the handheld and PC versions installed. I open the PC version as soon as I finish booting up in the morning, and I leave it open all day. This way, it is always available at a moment's notice. I make notes there throughout the day. I have various categories setup with different color schemes making it extremely easy to find past entries. I can also use the filtering feature to search for specific words. I use the handheld version like a peripheral device. It provides me with a copy of everything logged on the PC version, and it also allows me to make additional entries when I'm away from my desk. Synchronization is perfect between the two versions.

Bonsai - I have been using a freeware outlining app called HandOutline. It gives me more control over parent/child relationships for To-Do items than the built-in Tasks app. While the freeware app is good, it doesn't provide the ability to send items directly to DayNotez. Bonsai has this feature. Besides being a feature rich program on its own, the link to DayNotez is the main item of interest for me. I wouldn't have to re-type anything in DayNotez. The category and color coding would also be correctly reflected in DayNotez. I will probably purchase this app even if the 41% discount doesn't happen.

Comet - Like you, I don't have a pressing need to track every call. I also make calls from various phones, so I have no central database of calls. In my case, a feature rich call tracking application is not a necessity. I've used lower frills apps like Minutes Plus in the past, but didn't find them to be a "must have". On the other hand, Comet once again offers that link to DayNotez. If I can quickly convert a call log entry into a DayNotez entry, that makes it much more attractive. A 41% discount would probably entice me to get on board. I'm not sure if the 20% discount would be enough.

Edit: After doing a few searches for Bonsai and Comet here on Treo Central, I've found one more good reason for me to consider purchasing Comet. With my new 680, I've lost the ability to show alternate phone numbers with their corresponding phone type designations (e.g. H for Home) for my Favorites entries. Comet has a feature to display this information via a menu command. I've added it to my Natara shopping cart and am now anxiously awaiting the 4th quarter game score.
    Last edited by usskaos1; 02/04/2007 at 03:48 PM.
    Shadow Plan Vs. Bonsai
    Shadow Plan was the one important program (to me) that was "broken" by the 700p and was never repaired. It was great for Getting Things Done and pretty much irreplaceable IMHO. I don't know that it was ever fixed. Bonsai as I recall was a simple outliner that worked well, although I never used it. It's very likely that it works perfectly on the Treo. Did I understand that you were using Shadow Plan on both the desktop and on the Treo?

Comet
    Good as a record that you made the call and when. A fairly simple program which used to retail for $10. If you use Agendus, I don't believe that you need it.

Natara DayNotez
    The best of the three and capable of storing much larger records than memo. Also very intuitive and fast both on the PC and the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Shadow Plan Vs. Bonsai
    Did I understand that you were using Shadow Plan on both the desktop and on the Treo?
    I installed on both but I so rarely used it on the Palm that it could not be working and I haven't yet noticed. Only thing I noticed so far was some trouble getting things created on one being seen on the other. (I think that may have just been me, as there are rules about how to do this.) Shadow might be broken in this regard. I'll have to investigate.
    The manual does not say that DayNotes supports VoiceMemos on the 700p.

http://www.natara.com/DayNotez/UserManual/index.html

I may install a trial and find out on my own, but maybe one of you knows the answer.

BTW: It's not looking very good for the bears right now: Colts28-Bears-17 11:44 in 4th.
    I installed on both but I so rarely used it on the Palm that it could not be working and I haven't yet noticed. Only thing I noticed so far was some trouble getting things created on one being seen on the other. (I think that may have just been me, as there are rules about how to do this.) Shadow might be broken in this regard. I'll have to investigate.
    It's (Shadow Plan) very finicky when it comes to synchronizing the desktop with the Treo. IIRC I finally just set it for Treo overwrites Desktop after pouring many hours into it.
    The manual does not say that DayNotes supports VoiceMemos on the 700p.

http://www.natara.com/DayNotez/UserManual/index.html

I may install a trial and find out on my own, but maybe one of you knows the answer.

BTW: It's not looking very good for the bears right now: Colts28-Bears-17 11:44 in 4th.
    I can't comment on the 700P since I don't have one, but voice memos do work on the 680. They sometimes sound a little choppy, but they work.

You're right, it's not looking good for the Bears right now. 29-17 with 5:05 left.
    I took the plunge and purchased DayNotez with the 20% discount.
    I think it will be nice to have a nice jornaling program. Since I never used a Franklin planner, only time will tell how and how much I use this.
    I took the plunge and purchased DayNotez with the 20% discount.
    I think it will be nice to have a nice jornaling program. Since I never used a Franklin planner, only time will tell how and how much I use this.
    A good buy IMHO.
    I bought Comet and Bonsai at 20% off too. 41% would have been great, but I decided that 20% was still a decent price. At least the game was an interesting one to watch for the first 3 quarters. I placed my order during the 2 minute warning break.

Edit: Sorry about your Bears Bryan, but thanks for the fun discount offer!
    Last edited by usskaos1; 02/04/2007 at 11:09 PM.
    Yep, Thanks Bryan for offering the discounts. (I put my sorry message in the comment on the order form.)