Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've now had my Treo 680 for almost 2 months, and the battery life just continues to improve, to the point where it is hard to believe this is the same phone that I had back in December.

As an example, I charged up my phone on Sunday morning, and by last night (Thursday) it was down to 48%. And that is with about an hour of phone calls and an hour of web browsing/text messaging through the course of the week.

So I decided to charge it up again list night. I took it off the charger before I went to bed at 2am, and now it is 3:30pm on Friday, and it says 97%. Given I only sent a few text messages and made one very quick phone call, but 2% drop in 13 hours is pretty good. When I first got the phone back in December, I would be down to around 60% by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    I've now had my Treo 680 for almost 2 months, and the battery life just continues to improve, to the point where it is hard to believe this is the same phone that I had back in December.

As an example, I charged up my phone on Sunday morning, and by last night (Thursday) it was down to 48%. And that is with about an hour of phone calls and an hour of web browsing/text messaging through the course of the week.

So I decided to charge it up again list night. I took it off the charger before I went to bed at 2am, and now it is 3:30pm on Friday, and it says 97%. Given I only sent a few text messages and made one very quick phone call, but 2% drop in 13 hours is pretty good. When I first got the phone back in December, I would be down to around 60% by now.
    Do you have the phone connection on all the time?
    Also do you have the data connection on or do you keep it disconnected while not using it?

Just curious because the best I've seen is about 2% per hour with data connection on and push email.

Thanks.
    well, you're lucky. Mine has 2% LEFT in 12 hours!!! No BT, No GPRS, No 3rd party software, 34 minutes of GSM use and very light use of the PIM functions. Batterycapacity is slowly degrading over the last few weeks.
    I couldnt agree more. I have noticed increased battery life. I can get about 4 days. The phone is always on, I dont use data all that much and when I am not I disconnect it.

Crikey! That is the best I have heard of by a long way (0.15%/hour). Mine does pretty well, and I might get that level of performance without any use (based on my typical standby battery drainage of 0.3-0.5%/hour), but I doubt it would get close to that including an hour of phone calls, which should theoretically use up about 25% of the power given the specified 4 hour talk time. Can I ask, did you do the battery meter calibration? Is it possible that in your case, your battery meter is reading 48% when it is close to zero? Have you seen it go down just as slowly through the last 50% of the battery charge? Concerns about battery meter aside, even if it isnt really at 48% and was about to die, that performance is still outstanding! Experiences like this should give some hope to 680 owners who like their phone but are disappointed with battery drain rates. I have seen plenty of reports where the drain rate on standby is 0.5% per hour, so this is clearly possible. I believe that there is still some problem (possibly a common problem, but not camera related) that is impacting on some 680s, which is why some people still cant get better than 2 or 3% per hour. I am trying to work this out because it happened to me twice a few days back. See the thread 'what else triggers the battery drain problem...'
    That is amazing battery usage.

My unit is only 6 days old. I did the battery patch on Sunday. I have charged it twice from 5% left or less. However this morning 7am ( friday ) after being on all throughout the night about 8 hours with the alarm going off my unit was still at 99% as it was when I went to bed. it is now 7pm and it's at 73%. Thats with about 45 mins of PIM usage and about 20mins of pool, and 2 min phone call. No data and it's not connected. So 12 hrs of some usage used 26%. I was amazed that it was still at 99% this morning. I hope it does get better over time, although I don't think it's that bad right now.

Andmann
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    Can I ask, did you do the battery meter calibration?
    I've tried to stick to this one major rule:

Never partially charge the battery. Once you put it on the charger, it should stay there until it is fully charged.

During the first month of owning the phone, I also did the full discharge thing. I would run it down until it was under 10%, and then charge it all the way up. I probably did that about 10 times. Now I don't worry about that, but I do try to stay away from constantly topping it off. I always wait until it's under 50% to charge it. I never tried that battery reset trick though.

Regarding my usage patterns, I am not a heavy internet user. I would say I probably use the internet on my Treo 3-4 days per week, with one of those days being a heavy day (upwards of a half hour), while the other days would usually just be a quick thing like checking the weather or a sports score.

When I am done using the internet, I do not do anything to turn it off, but usually notice that the connection shuts itself down after a while. Perhaps when a new phone call comes in? I'm not sure.

I don't do auto email polling. I just check my email when I want to. I work at a computer all day, so most days I have no need to check my email from the Treo. Same goes with using AIM. I have AOL 3.3 installed (my only installed program that did not come with the Treo), and I do not keep it signed on. When I want to chat, I sign on and chat, and then sign off. I've noticed that this program can drain the battery pretty fast -- upwards of 10% per hour when I am using it.

For the most part, I am a heavy phone and SMS user. 90% of the time I am using my Treo it is for one of those two. As far as talk time, last week I had a 3 hour phone conversation and it drained the battery about 40% or so.
    During the first month of owning the phone, I also did the full discharge thing. I would run it down until it was under 10%, and then charge it all the way up. I probably did that about 10 times.
    Whatever you have done, it seems to be working beautifully. I would have ordinarily suggested that the full drain (down to absolute zero and it cant be turned on again) is necessary to properly calibrate the battery meter for optimal accuracy, because there have been many reports where people notice the meter gets to 0% (or close to) and stays there for a long time. I think this is related to the inaccurate battery meter before calibration. However, you seem to have things working very well, so goodonya! (as we say in Australia).
    I've tried to stick to this one major rule:

Never partially charge the battery. Once you put it on the charger, it should stay there until it is fully charged.

During the first month of owning the phone, I also did the full discharge thing. I would run it down until it was under 10%, and then charge it all the way up. I probably did that about 10 times. Now I don't worry about that, but I do try to stay away from constantly topping it off. I always wait until it's under 50% to charge it. I never tried that battery reset trick though.

Regarding my usage patterns, I am not a heavy internet user. I would say I probably use the internet on my Treo 3-4 days per week, with one of those days being a heavy day (upwards of a half hour), while the other days would usually just be a quick thing like checking the weather or a sports score.

When I am done using the internet, I do not do anything to turn it off, but usually notice that the connection shuts itself down after a while. Perhaps when a new phone call comes in? I'm not sure.

I don't do auto email polling. I just check my email when I want to. I work at a computer all day, so most days I have no need to check my email from the Treo. Same goes with using AIM. I have AOL 3.3 installed (my only installed program that did not come with the Treo), and I do not keep it signed on. When I want to chat, I sign on and chat, and then sign off. I've noticed that this program can drain the battery pretty fast -- upwards of 10% per hour when I am using it.

For the most part, I am a heavy phone and SMS user. 90% of the time I am using my Treo it is for one of those two. As far as talk time, last week I had a 3 hour phone conversation and it drained the battery about 40% or so.
    so you are saying they have a memory like ni cads?
    It's a Li-Ion. It likes to be topped up frequently. It doesn't have memory (like NiCd batteries). It's likely good to deep cycle it every now and again though. Battery University is your friend. http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

Eric's battery life is phenomenal though ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    It's a Li-Ion. It likes to be topped up frequently. It doesn't have memory (like NiCd batteries). It's likely good to deep cycle it every now and again though. Battery University is your friend. http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

Eric's battery life is phenomenal though ;-)
    A partial discharge puts less strain on the battery, which benefits lithium-ion and to some extent also nickel-metal-hydride. Nickel-cadmium is least affected by delivering full cycles

If possible, do not discharge lithium-based batteries too deeply.

from your site that you linked

where does it say to get a deep cycle i skimmed through it?
    it says to do that for a ni cad

the site said you dont need to discharge it down.

and it doesnt talk about li poly battteries
  12.    #12  
    Keep in mind that I only did a few complete discharges at the beginning. What I am talking about is the charging process. Don't do partial charges. If you are going to charge up your battery, leave it on the charger until it is at 100% (or 99%). For example, do not charge it from 60% to 80%. If it is at 60% and you want to charge it, then let it go up to a full 100%.

Over time, partial charges will ruin your battery. A typical Lithium battery is capable of around 500 charges in its lifetime. And there is no such thing as a "half charge" -- meaning that if your battery is at 70% and you charge it to 75%, then that counts as one. After around 250 charges, your battery will start to lose capacity steadily until it reaches 500 charges where it will then probably only hold about 50% of it's full capacity. If you constantly take your phone on and off the charger, you will reach that point much sooner.
    hmm then we get into the other thread of pulling it off the charger and seeing 93-98% charged.

if im at 93% and charge i can get it to the 97-98%

i borked the multimeter or else i would use that to get my results to see whats really going on
    Over time, partial charges will ruin your battery. A typical Lithium battery is capable of around 500 charges in its lifetime. And there is no such thing as a "half charge" -- meaning that if your battery is at 70% and you charge it to 75%, then that counts as one. After around 250 charges, your battery will start to lose capacity steadily until it reaches 500 charges where it will then probably only hold about 50% of it's full capacity. If you constantly take your phone on and off the charger, you will reach that point much sooner.
    Very, very, very wrong. You should be ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by BatteryUniversity
    A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

And there is no nonsense about number of charges, or charging for 5% "counts as one" etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma pi View Post
    A partial discharge puts less strain on the battery, which benefits lithium-ion and to some extent also nickel-metal-hydride. Nickel-cadmium is least affected by delivering full cycles

If possible, do not discharge lithium-based batteries too deeply.

from your site that you linked

where does it say to get a deep cycle i skimmed through it?
    it says to do that for a ni cad
    from here...
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

It says,

" A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.) "

the site said you dont need to discharge it down.

and it doesnt talk about li poly battteries
    How do they differ from standard Li-Ion? (Enquiring minds would like to know.)
  16.    #16  
    From that website:

A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

If your battery drops to 60%, and then you charge it up to 80%, that is a single "discharge/charge" cycle. If your battery drops to 20%, and then you charge it up to 100%, that is also a single "discharge/charge" cycle. Each time you put it on the charger and take it off, that is one cycle.

If you want to ruin a Lithium battery quickly, charge it for 20 minutes at a time, 10 times per day. Within 2-3 months, your battery life will go to hell.

But if you don't believe me, then do what you wish to do. I just figured I would post my advise considering I read constant complaints about battery life on this forum. My battery life has been wonderful with this phone.
    If you want to ruin a Lithium battery quickly, charge it for 20 minutes at a time, 10 times per day. Within 2-3 months, your battery life will go to hell.

Dear all;
    I feel very interesting in this topic for the battery.
    Just one question for the charging cycle......
    How do you called it in the morning your mobile is 97% fully charged and around 10am your do hotsync with your desktop and last before going back.
    Now during Hotsync I can see the battery charge itself through USB without the powercord attached.

Is this can ruin your battery too? Let me know your all thoughts????????
    When i first got my 680 i couldnt even last a full day without my battery going out on me. Right now about 1 month after me getting the phone i can now go two days without having to charge it!!
    I charge my 680 several times a day as I have a car charger and a usb charge/sync cable. I then do a full charge overnight. I did the same thing with my 650 and 600, both of which used Li-Ion batteries. I get fine battery life with the 650 batteries still. That is, they last (seemingly) as long as they always have. They should be on their way out now (the 650 batteries) just on the basis of age alone.

Therefore, from personal experience, I do not think that partial topping up charges 'count' as full cycles. ....and, after 2 or 3 months, my battery life definitely did NOT go to hell.

Nothing beats actually doing the experiment.

I'll keep charging the way I have.
    I'm always near a charger, whether in my car or at home. Even have one for a hotel. I quit worrying about the battery life.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast