Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jefrisalas View Post
    If you want to ruin a Lithium battery quickly, charge it for 20 minutes at a time, 10 times per day. Within 2-3 months, your battery life will go to hell.

Dear all;
    I feel very interesting in this topic for the battery.
    Just one question for the charging cycle......
    How do you called it in the morning your mobile is 97% fully charged and around 10am your do hotsync with your desktop and last before going back.
    Now during Hotsync I can see the battery charge itself through USB without the powercord attached.

Is this can ruin your battery too? Let me know your all thoughts????????
    No. What he's saying is completely wrong. A Lithium Ion battery has no "cycle limit" like he's describing, certainly would not define a cycle as a few minutes of charging. I'm not sure why he's pursuing it.
    I've been experience very good battery life since applying the Camera patch and performing the battery reset - UNTIL - spent today in a meeting and had my 680 switched to Mute for most of the day. Battery is alomst depleted with no usage by the end of the business day, e.g. 9hrs.

I can't figure this one. In retrospect I was previously muting my phone over night and when I was doing this I was experience large battery drain. I've not used the mute switch for some time and in that time the battery has lasted a good 2 days before requiring a recharge.

Perhaps there's an issue in the muting of the 680. Applogies if this has already come up but the '680 Battery' threads are getting so long, its hard to keep up.

Anyone else had this issue?
    I havent tested the 'mute' effect, but another guy 'redbeard' reported this in a series of experiments he did (an earlier thread around mid January) - it made quite a significant difference to his battery drain - no obvious reason why.
    No. What he's saying is completely wrong. A Lithium Ion battery has no "cycle limit" like he's describing, certainly would not define a cycle as a few minutes of charging. I'm not sure why he's pursuing it.
    Thanks man...glad to hear that
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Do we know this for a fact? I think the info at Battery University is a little bit vauge on this point - it does not define what constitutes a cycle and I cant find any other info about this either (but havent searched extensively). It seems to suggest that a cycle simply involves discharging, then recharging, with no defined limits. Is going from 50% to 100% and back to 50% a cycle or is it half a cycle? If it is a cycle, what about 50% to 60% then back to 50%?
    Quote Originally Posted by gdunning View Post
    I've been experience very good battery life since applying the Camera patch and performing the battery reset - UNTIL - spent today in a meeting and had my 680 switched to Mute for most of the day. Battery is alomst depleted with no usage by the end of the business day, e.g. 9hrs.

I can't figure this one. In retrospect I was previously muting my phone over night and when I was doing this I was experience large battery drain. I've not used the mute switch for some time and in that time the battery has lasted a good 2 days before requiring a recharge.

Perhaps there's an issue in the muting of the 680. Applogies if this has already come up but the '680 Battery' threads are getting so long, its hard to keep up.

Anyone else had this issue?
    I have identified the AC charger as the cause of erratic battery drain of my 680. My temporary fix of the problem is to charge the phone only with the USB syn cable. You may want to test whether this is also the case for your 680. I provided more info about this a couple of days ago in this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=135961
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I am also finding the AC charger only brings the battery up to 94-98% on an overnite charge, but at work with the sync/trickle charge it will bring it up to 100%
    This topic is actually the reason I joined Treocentral. LOL

Anyway, I bought an unlocked Crimson 680 at the Charlotte airport whilst travelling to my work site for the next few weeks. I played with it in the airport, then put my SIM back into my BlackBerry so I wouldn't miss any messages. When I got to my destination and got my T-Mobile plan switched back to T-Zones, I put my SIM back in the 680 and used it that evening until it died. Most of the activity was SMS (IM) and one phone call. It eventually died, and I put it on the charger for the night. I pulled it off this morning, downloaded NetworkDown, turned off AutoSync in VersaMail, and went to work. By the time I got back to the hotel at 5, the battery was at 8%. I had only checked mail manually a few times, sent about 50 SMS messages, and no phone calls. I was pretty concerned about how poor this was (even worse than the HTC S620). I put it on the charger, and left it until the light went green (I assume this means full). I pulled it off the charger for the evening, and am already at 94% with just SMS usage after about 30 minutes.

From reading the thread, it sounds like if I continue to let it drain before charging it should improve. I'd be ok with charging every night like I did with my SideKicks, but I'd really like to be able to turn auto sync back on, and get through an entire business day and ensuing evening antics, say about 14-16 hours. Will it continue to be this bad? If not, how long can I expect to wait before it is better?
    Those of you concerned about partial charges, please go back and read my previous post. I've been topping off my 600, 650, and now 680. If the top offs counted against some hypothetical 300 cycle limit, all my batteries would have died long ago.

They haven't. They are lasting well. (Actually, I don't know about my old 600 battery. I don't have a 600 to try it in any more.) They all seem to fade a bit after a year or two, but that would be more in line with 300-500 full cycles or simple battery ageing.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    Putting your phone on mute eats more battery because instead of dinging a speaker, your treo has to whirl about a tiny weight to vibrate.

The vibrate function takes quite a bit more power than the ding, so your battery suffers.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Putting your phone on mute eats more battery because instead of dinging a speaker, your treo has to whirl about a tiny weight to vibrate.

The vibrate function takes quite a bit more power than the ding, so your battery suffers.
    that appears to be the logical answer and might explain things - if the vibrate mode was not already set to activate with the ringer when sound was on, and assuming that there were enough calls or alarms for it to make a difference. I seem to remember that in the expt redbeard did (cant find it any more), this was not the explanation. redbeard...are you there?
    gdunning was talking about simply muting his phone all day because he was in meetings. I saw no mention of him using vibrate with the ring before that, so the logical explaination is that the switch from rings to vibrates lead to the increase drain.

Vibrate alerts are known to use much more energy than rings. Its an entry in the Palm knowledge base, I believe. (And it seems reasonable).

I remember the long analysis that redbeard did vaugely too but don't remember the particulars.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
    By the time I got back to the hotel at 5, the battery was at 8%. I had only checked mail manually a few times, sent about 50 SMS messages, and no phone calls. I was pretty concerned about how poor this was (even worse than the HTC S620).
    Have you downloaded the patch from Palm? It fixes the battery problem for nearly everyone who has it:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...eraupdate.html

You can see all of the satisfied people with the patch in this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=134840
    The Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #100 - "Never begin a business negotiation on an empty stomach."

Take over my T-Mobile 12 month Contract - 12 months left, $39.99, free phones, and $40 credit

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=136424
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12