Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    GoodGuy,

Have you heard if a GMM server has to be on build 4.9 to not run into issues with the upcoming Daylight Savings Time switch? I see on the website that the mobile clients need to be on 4.9.2, but I do not recall seeing any server requirements. Currently our server is on 4.8.

Thanks in advance.
    You need to upgrade your server to at least 4.9.2 and have the clients on 4.9. If you are in Australia, you will have to wait until 4.9.3.
    This is a hot topic for me as I'm specifically currently working on patching Good for DST in a large corporate.

1) If you are an MS Exchange user, my understanding is that a patched Goodlink 4.9.1 server is sufficient however you do need to update CDO on the Goodlink servers with this patch available from Microsoft here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926666.
    There are other DST patches you need to consider outside Good as you need to ensure the calendar info getting to the GoodLink servers is correct too.

2) All GMM clients must also be 4.9.2 or higher. The Good Client has it's own DST database built in and therefore ignores any handheld OS patches for DST.

If you are deploying Palm OS GMM clients then beware as we've seen version 4.9.2.30 introduces some issues. One is a Status 70 issue after OTA client upgrade which can be cured with the DEBUG REPROV routine and the other is a mail stalling issue which can be temporarily cured by forcing a send/recieve or soft resetting.

I'm intrigued with GoodGuys answer about Australia and 4.9.3 in particular. Can you elaborate or correct anything I may have misunderstood?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Thanks fasteye, we're up to our elbows in evaluating DST patches ourselves. Don't forget about the Send As permission change to the GoodAdmin account too. We are having fun with the fact that we have a mix of Server 2000 and 2003 boxes (all running Exchange 2003).
    We've also just heard from Good last night that even if you patch everything (Desktop OS, Exchange, CDO, GMM clients), using the Microsoft Outlook rebasing tool ,which if run goes through all your Reoccuring and All day meetings and 'corrects' them, actually impacts Good and all those types of appointments will be an hour out on your handheld.

We are not planning to use the tool and are getting users to re-book reoccuring and all day meetings once their desktop OS is patched but the rebasing tool is built into Outlook 2007.

Updating the Exchange server OS's with the DST patch also threw out all the free/busy info.

Good have offered a server patch to correct it

We are concerned we are still missing something here.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fasteye View Post
    Updating the Exchange server OS's with the DST patch also threw out all the free/busy info.

Good have offered a server patch to correct it

We are concerned we are still missing something here.

Just so I am clear...the OS DST patch on an Exchange server (without Exchange DST patch?) threw out free/busy info on GoodLink handhelds or Outlook?

If on the handhelds, did it matter what client build?

Yes it was without the Exchange patch and was visible in Outlook.

We've also been told the 4.9.2.30 build is no Good and has a major flaw surrounding DST so our deployment of it to thousands of devices has been wasted.

Awaiting further news of what we need to do next.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    What?? They went out of their way to say you needed 4.9.2.30 for DST compliance....or at least until they changed the info on their support page. I was planning to update our servers from 4.8 to 4.9.2 this week. Guess I'll be waiting a bit longer.....

(slowly walks to corner of room and begins beating head against wall.... )
    Quote Originally Posted by fasteye View Post
    We've also been told the 4.9.2.30 build is no Good and has a major flaw surrounding DST so our deployment of it to thousands of devices has been wasted.
    As GMM administrators we just have to laugh in order to keep from crying.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Well, here is the latest from Good. Looks like we have to wait until 2/28/07 for the new versions. http://www.good.com/faq/17882.html

It doesn't mention fixing the "Send As" though. Does that mean it's not an issue? Anyone have any experience yet?

Thanks,

Tim
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    It is an issue because any Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Store.exe file greater than version 6.5.7233.69 has the Send As fix in place. If you have not granted the Send As permissions before updating Store.exe to a version above 6.5.7233.69, your Good Admin account will no longer have the ability to forward mail. This is a Microsoft "enhancement", not anything done by Good.

You will be able to grant the needed permissions to get GMM working again. It's just that mail redirection will be down for a while as the permissions change needs to replicate throughout your environment.

FYI, the DST patch for Exchange 2003 SP1 brings Store.exe to 6.5.7234.20. The patch for SP2 brings Store.exe to 6.5.7651.61.
    We ran in to an unexpected issue with Send As when patching Exchange for DST. After installing Exchange SP2 most of our Good users were fine with no permissions changes. However, people in AD protected groups could only send and receive sporadically. These groups include high level admins like domain and enterprise administrators but they also include less used groups like print operators.

If you are in a protected group AD will reset permissions to default periodically. This means manually granting "Send As" to your goodadmin account will get reset. For us, we had to take users out of those protected groups.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Swell...another undocumented Microsoft feature??
    Well, it's documented but it's pretty obscure. See MS KB907434 which lists the protected groups. You can customize the AD object used to define the default permissions (see KB 232199) but I'd be cautious about messing with the directory that way. Once you make the change, it's very hard to go back...

BTW, how are you rolling out the updates to users? We had quite a few who didn't understand or just ignored the prompt to install the Good client update. I really wish they had an update process that required less user interaction.

Of course we will now have to redo all the 4.9.2 installs for the actual DST update. Good dropped the ball on this.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Good is probably as frustrated as we are. I viewed a Microsoft DST webcast on the 22nd and they changed their tune quite a bit from what our TAM originally said was the "Best Practice" for DST updates. This whole thing is still in flux and everyone scrambles when one fix breaks something else...

I am going about the handheld updates just as you. I was going to see if the update could be forced by the GMM server.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zeebee View Post
    We ran in to an unexpected issue with Send As when patching Exchange for DST. After installing Exchange SP2 most of our Good users were fine with no permissions changes. However, people in AD protected groups could only send and receive sporadically. These groups include high level admins like domain and enterprise administrators but they also include less used groups like print operators.

If you are in a protected group AD will reset permissions to default periodically. This means manually granting "Send As" to your goodadmin account will get reset. For us, we had to take users out of those protected groups.
    zeebee,

You said this happened after you installed SP2. Was it the service pack or the DST update that caused this? I am guessing it was after your Store.exe version went above 6.5.7233.??, but want to be sure.

Thanks.
    The guy that is handling our DST upgrades/patching seems to agree that M$ is as much to blame for poor follow-through on this as Good...and maybe more so.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by ea0423 View Post
    zeebee,

You said this happened after you installed SP2. Was it the service pack or the DST update that caused this? I am guessing it was after your Store.exe version went above 6.5.7233.??, but want to be sure.

Thanks.
    You are right that the problem started when we upgraded to Exchange SP2 which introduced a change in the "Send As" functionality. This is confusing. I think what happened is that the Good Admin account got access to users' mailboxes through the Exchange full mailbox access permissions. The AD object "Send As" security permission was probably removed by the process that protects these groups. This wasn't enough to break Good because in a pre-SP2 environment full mailbox access implies send as. With SP2 suddenly Exchange full mailbox access didn't automatically grant "Send As" functionality and so we lost access to the user mailbox.

As for Good's performance on the DST issue, being a company that specializes in messaging, they should be the best at handling an issue like this. They have relatively few products (compared to Microsoft) and all of them tie into a calendar. I would not expect them to give out the wrong patch (4.9.2) and then give customers less than 2 weeks to roll out an untested rev. Is that just life in this biz!?!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I didn't set up Good until after we were at SP2 on Exchange, however, our store.exe version is lower than 6.5.7233.69. Any ideas on how this will effect everything? Here is what I set up the account for, per the GoodLink Admin Guide. These permissions were granted at the orginization (root) object.

Select the GoodAdmin domain account and grant the following
    permissions:
    Read
    Execute
    Read permissions
    List contents
    Read properties
    Read metabase properties
    Create named properties in the information store
    View information store status
    Administer information store
    Receive as
    Send as

If anyone has any more info on this, it would be greatly appreciated. According to Good, the new version of both server and client will be available tomorrow. We'll see how it goes
    Tim
    Using MotoQ on Sprint
    Supporting Treo 650's, 700P's and MotoQ's on Sprint and Verizon.
    Good Admin too
    Here is the link to install the DST update patch for the upcoming DST change:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/dst.html

Further details at the link . . .

Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast