Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hello all i currently have the treo 680 with tmobile and im using the tzones for 4.99 or 5.99 or whatever it is and it seems to work fine. i know that you can use the total internet plan with it but is there any kind of benefit to doing that? Is there things you can do with that that the tzones package cant do? Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me
    Quote Originally Posted by christopher318 View Post
    hello all i currently have the treo 680 with tmobile and im using the tzones for 4.99 or 5.99 or whatever it is and it seems to work fine. i know that you can use the total internet plan with it but is there any kind of benefit to doing that? Is there things you can do with that that the tzones package cant do? Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me
    I can do anything with that same plan you have than I could with the total internet. Difference might be slightly faster speed (in my experience), but aside from that, I can still do a BT DUN with my PC.

- C.M.S.
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde
  3.    #3  
    also i know that you have to select tzones on the network selection screen but it will also let me select the total internet one and it works is it suspose to do that or no i can pick any of the choices except the vpn
    For me, only the T-Zones one works. When I pick any other one, I can never connect.
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde
    Sounds like your computer record is messed up in your favor. You should not be able to connect using t-mo internet unless your paying for it. If they aren't charging you I wouldn't bring it to their attention in any way. I'm sure someone probably just clicked on the wrong thing when entering your information or something stupid like that.

T-zones and total internet are exactly the same you just pay less. We've done tests side by side and it's identical except for the proxy thing but since that's been removed you'd be an ***** to pay $15 extra/mo if you didn't have to.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I've got the $19 unlimited data plan, don't even fool with Tzones. Data plan gets you connection anywhere, as far as i know Tzones is only where there's a hotspot.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg View Post
    I've got the $19 unlimited data plan, don't even fool with Tzones. Data plan gets you connection anywhere, as far as i know Tzones is only where there's a hotspot.
    Having read what seems like about a thousand posts of folks who've said that T-Zones works just as well as the $19.99 (if you're grandfathered, like I was) to $29.99 unlimited data plan, this morning I canceled my unlimited data plan and went with T-Zones. I'm amazed! I've tried every website I ever used before (I've had my 680 on T-Mobile Internet unlimited data plan since December 1st), including Google Maps and TheStreamCenter.com (for free streaming internet radio, which runs on the built-in Kinoma on the 680). EVERYTHING works, and it's just as fast as the unlimited internet plan for which I was paying almost 4 times as much. I'm a VERY happy camper! And I get all of the surfing I want anywhere I have a cell signal -- as far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with "hotspots."

The only downside I've noticed so far is that, any time I do a reset, the Network settings in Prefs default back to T-Mobile Internet, and I have to go in and reset it to T-Zones (I can't connect to the web now on any setting but T-Zones in the Network Prefs). I've tried backing up my prefs with Reset Doctor after setting it on T-Zones, but it still reverts back to T-Mobile Internet on reset. However, given that I've gone from $19.99 per month to $5.99 per month, I think I can handle having to reset my Network setting once in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    Having read what seems like about a thousand posts of folks who've said that T-Zones works just as well as the $19.99 (if you're grandfathered, like I was) to $29.99 unlimited data plan, this morning I canceled my unlimited data plan and went with T-Zones. I'm amazed! I've tried every website I ever used before (I've had my 680 on T-Mobile Internet unlimited data plan since December 1st), including Google Maps and TheStreamCenter.com (for free streaming internet radio, which runs on the built-in Kinoma on the 680). EVERYTHING works, and it's just as fast as the unlimited internet plan for which I was paying almost 4 times as much. I'm a VERY happy camper! And I get all of the surfing I want anywhere I have a cell signal -- as far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with "hotspots."

The only downside I've noticed so far is that, any time I do a reset, the Network settings in Prefs default back to T-Mobile Internet, and I have to go in and reset it to T-Zones (I can't connect to the web now on any setting but T-Zones in the Network Prefs). I've tried backing up my prefs with Reset Doctor after setting it on T-Zones, but it still reverts back to T-Mobile Internet on reset. However, given that I've gone from $19.99 per month to $5.99 per month, I think I can handle having to reset my Network setting once in a while.

Could someone do me a HUGE favor? I'm a student pilot and am a huge listener of www.liveatc.net. On my TX that was recently stolen, I used to listen to www.liveatc.net via Ptunes all the time. Could someone with a 680 and the $6/month Tzones and Ptunes go to www.liveatc.net, click on "top 20 feeds," and click on any link, 1-20? If you are able to stream liveatc.net via Ptunes with $6/month Tzones on a 680, I will be the newest 680 owner....

Thanks ALOT,

Purdue
    Quote Originally Posted by purdue1014 View Post
    Could someone do me a HUGE favor? I'm a student pilot and am a huge listener of www.liveatc.net. On my TX that was recently stolen, I used to listen to www.liveatc.net via Ptunes all the time. Could someone with a 680 and the $6/month Tzones and Ptunes go to www.liveatc.net, click on "top 20 feeds," and click on any link, 1-20? If you are able to stream liveatc.net via Ptunes with $6/month Tzones on a 680, I will be the newest 680 owner....

Thanks ALOT,

Purdue
    Yep, I'm listening to KJFK right now (although I can't say I'm finding it especially scintillating to listen to!!).
    Yep, I'm listening to KJFK right now (although I can't say I'm finding it especially scintillating to listen to!!).
    Hey Hey THANKS Christie!! Now just to confirm my newfound overjoyment, I assume that you can sync versamail as well?

WaHooo, thanks a lot!

Purdue

P S, that is unlimited Tzones, right? No 10 MB restriction, or something similar?
    Hey Hey THANKS Christie!! Now just to confirm my newfound overjoyment, I assume that you can sync versamail as well?

WaHooo, thanks a lot!

Purdue
    You're very welcome Purdue! Yes, I use VersaMail for about 4 email accounts (but you know it's not "push" email, right?) -- I just go in whenever I want to check my email. T-Zones works for this without a hitch, as well.
    You're very welcome Purdue! Yes, I use VersaMail for about 4 email accounts (but you know it's not "push" email, right?) -- I just go in whenever I want to check my email. T-Zones works for this without a hitch, as well.

One more thing, I assume that that is unlimited Tzones right? no 10MB restriction, or something similar?

Thanks a lot and good night,

Purdue
    One more thing, I assume that that is unlimited Tzones right? no 10MB restriction, or something similar?

Thanks a lot and good night,

Purdue

Yes, it's unlimited -- believe me, I made sure I checked on that before I switched. See here: http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons/...vc_Sub_WebApps
    $19.99 unlimited. Excellent for DUN.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrios View Post
    $19.99 unlimited. Excellent for DUN.
    What is "DUN?"

20 for TMO? I was told 30 for unlimited I"ll stick with the 6 though......

Purdue
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    t-zones, works with DUN (dial up networking as well). It is THE reason I'm still with t-mobile since 2002. any discount on phones is eventually offset by much higher data costs with the other carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by milkham View Post
    t-zones, works with DUN (dial up networking as well). It is THE reason I'm still with t-mobile since 2002. any discount on phones is eventually offset by much higher data costs with the other carriers.
    Is that the "tethering" thing? Could you dumb it down a bit?

Thanks,

Purdue
    T-zones does everything the other internet plans do, it just costs less. The other plans are sold to people who don't know any better. It works everywhere and I mean everywhere like, the UK, Paris, Thailand, Hong Kong, New York, Colorado. It's unlimited.

You cannot sign up for it if you have a smartphone listed as your phone. Tell them you have a Razor or something and the option shows up in the list of available options. Or tell them you have a 680 and they will charge you $19.99/mo.

But don't let me stop you from paying the extra $180/year or more. It's your money.

Oh yes, and it has NOTHING to do with hot spots. You have it mixed up. The unlimited internet plan gives you access to wifi in T-mo hotspots. That's the benefit of paying more but since it works fine as a DUN device, I have not found the need.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    T-zones does everything the other internet plans do, it just costs less. The other plans are sold to people who don't know any better. It works everywhere and I mean everywhere like, the UK, Paris, Thailand, Hong Kong, New York, Colorado. It's unlimited.

You cannot sign up for it if you have a smartphone listed as your phone. Tell them you have a Razor or something and the option shows up in the list of available options. Or tell them you have a 680 and they will charge you $19.99/mo.

But don't let me stop you from paying the extra $180/year or more. It's your money.

Oh yes, and it has NOTHING to do with hot spots. You have it mixed up. The unlimited internet plan gives you access to wifi in T-mo hotspots. That's the benefit of paying more but since it works fine as a DUN device, I have not found the need.
    So apparently i'm one of those that don't know any better! I think way back when I got my first Treo180g I was already with Tmo and they told me TZones was not compatible and I needed the $19 unlimited plan. But you're saying it IS completely compatible and I'll be albe to do everything i'm doing now the same way as i'm doing, for less money?! I'm liking the sound of that. Will I have to change my SnapperMail settings? Other Settings? Did the Tzones thing used to rely on HotSpots? I'm so corn-fused, but want to know more!! I've never used DUN and since the Treo doesn't have WiFi it sounds like i'm paying for more than i really need. Dammit...i hate it when i pay too much!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg View Post
    So apparently i'm one of those that don't know any better! I think way back when I got my first Treo180g I was already with Tmo and they told me TZones was not compatible and I needed the $19 unlimited plan. But you're saying it IS completely compatible and I'll be albe to do everything i'm doing now the same way as i'm doing, for less money?! I'm liking the sound of that. Will I have to change my SnapperMail settings? Other Settings? Did the Tzones thing used to rely on HotSpots? I'm so corn-fused, but want to know more!! I've never used DUN and since the Treo doesn't have WiFi it sounds like i'm paying for more than i really need. Dammit...i hate it when i pay too much!

RandyG, take a look at my post #7 above. Until yesterday, I was just like you -- I'd been paying for the $19.99 plan (which I've had for several years, and which you can't even get any more -- you have to pay $29.99 now) because I was afraid I would be limited on T-Zones. Then I read all of the posts here on Treocentral and on MTDN and decided to switch to T-Zones for $5.99 per month (see the link in post #13) because so many people said that wasn't the case.

I do think T-Zones used to be limited to something like 10MB and there were only certain websites you could access, but that's definitely not the case any more. It's an unlimited data plan and I've been able to access absolutely everything I could before. I can't speak to Snappermail, but the ONLY setting I needed to change was to select "T-Zones" in the Network Prefs (and as I said above, I have to re-select it any time I do a reset on my phone).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast