1.    #1  
    I am surprised that this new feature hasn't had a large amount of commentary on the forums. I would think that this would be HUGE!!! I am really interested in this new capability. I have a Treo 650 and am contemplating upgrading to a Treo 700p or 700wx. If I could get true push email/contacts/calendar with my exchange server on a 700p I don't think I would want to switch platforms.

Please let me know if you are currently using this on your 700p and how satisfied/unsatisfied you are.

Thank you in advance.

<><
    my-cool
    I have seen a number of threads on this new feature and it seemed to me the consensus response was "Ho hum."

Right now Versamail 3.5 (I installed the upgrade to my 650) does "pull" over the air sync of contacts, calendar, and email. This means the only thing that changed was "push" instead of pull. For most people (including me) that was underwhelming.

Now. If they had gone all the way and included task sync over the air (approaching Pocket Outlook's capabilities) that have been a bit more compelling. If they had added Memos for OTA sync I would have wept happy tears whilst purchasing a 700p for everyone here on TC. (Not even WM does Memos over the air).

Conclusion: if you need push and you are on the Palm OS, choose Chatter. If you need more, choose the 700w/wx/750. (That's what I did. May I heartily recommend the SERO plans from Sprint?)
    Actually there is more to this than just push vs. pull. It is also the ability to remotely administer corporate security policies for email on the POS similar to what can be done for a BB or WM device. If not for this product, my company was going to pull all sync access to corporate email for POS devices. Now if you have a 700 or unlocked 680, you can continue; and presumably something will be in the works for the multitude of us 650 users (hello, Palm, any reason why we weren't mentioned at all in your press release).
  4.    #4  
    Interesting. Microsoft in their press release made it seem as though the calendar and contacts would sync also. I guess this isn't working yet? I also assumed that the Calendar would include Tasks.

This is too bad that it is not working like I thought. I was really excited.

"In addition to providing a powerful email solution, the Exchange ActiveSync Update for Palm OS devices offers the following benefits:
    Adds Direct Push Technology - Direct Push Technology gives users connected to an Exchange Server fast, automatic wireless updates of email, calendar and contact information"
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I get a fair amount of corporate email so switching to push has caused about a 30%/day battery drain. I can live with that; my 700p now gets email before Outlook does on my PC.

A side benefit I've seen is Versamail can now open emails that are digitally signed. Before the update those messages would always fail to sync & cause the sync itself to abort.
    - Fushigi
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Anyone experiencing the annoying alerts that seem to happen every 10 minutes, that tell you to press "sync" even when there are no new messages?
  7.    #7  
    I have decided to go ahead and go with the 700wx. It seems that this solution works better with the push email.

Thanks for all the posts though.
    The EAS update does sync calendar and contacts.

The only problems I've found are that if you want push, you have to take it for calendar and contacts as well as email. You can't just select email.

And, what I suspect will cause additional battery drain is the alerts. There is no vibrate alert option. If you use any alert option, it automatically wakes the screen. Kinda dumb.

Otherwise, I have had no problems and it is a great thing to have.
    Got this in my e-mail box with the link here:
    http://www.palm.com/us/software/eas_...mh=dm13.127719

Wondering if this will be the beginning of allowing other 3rd party servers (like FastMail) to join the party.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Seems to do the job, working well for last 24 hours on my Co. exchange server.

Have been using Chatter EX this a little better because of the contact and calender syncing also. That if you want share your calender with Corp.?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Chatter EX+ is a much better email client. There is no comparison -- much more robust and reliable.

For sync'ing PIM (calendar, contacts, tasks and notes) -- I've been using the beta version of xChangeSync which has just added contacts sync and has proven to be VERY STABLE. I'm very happy with this young product. It was initally going to be bundled up into CHatter - that seems not to be the case as of yet but it stilll seems like a great product

http://www.moxsi.com/forum/viewtopic...6812c0c0d8afda

http://www.moxsi.com/xChangeSync[0.0.4b].zip

Try is out and help Scott out with its development
    757 Posts
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue212 View Post
    Chatter EX+ is a much better email client. There is no comparison -- much more robust and reliable.

For sync'ing PIM (calendar, contacts, tasks and notes) -- I've been using the beta version of xChangeSync which has just added contacts sync and has proven to be VERY STABLE. I'm very happy with this young product. It was initally going to be bundled up into CHatter - that seems not to be the case as of yet but it stilll seems like a great product

http://www.moxsi.com/forum/viewtopic...6812c0c0d8afda

http://www.moxsi.com/xChangeSync[0.0.4b].zip

Try is out and help Scott out with its development
    No comparison??

Sorry this new addition to vesa mail is a competitor to Mark, as a Chatter customer I find the Push from vesa works very very well . there are couple things that chatter does better like mail going to SD card, but that not a big deal to me as i only keep 3 days worth of mail on the treo anyway? But the big factor that Mark does not have in 1 program is sync with calender and contacts via exchange?

I love what Mark has done with Chatter it is a fantastic program with unequaled support, just needs Contact and calender syncing

Have you tried to Vesa yet ,it is FREE!

I have owned Chatter since my 650 days and have had EX since the 1st day it was released.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    myself and a lot of other Treonauts seemed to have the following problem
    "I keep getting the notifier alert to sync, but it does not "auto sync" for me." -- refer to the 7 page thread in the 700P forum.

Are you getting the same thing - if you got it - how did you fix it - I gave up on the Versa option and went back to chatter because I could not get past this problem of getting an alert to sync but not getting the actual pushed message. I had to manually sync to get the message - it was as if every time I got a message I got an alert but not the message itself
    757 Posts
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue212 View Post
    myself and a lot of other Treonauts seemed to have the following problem
    "I keep getting the notifier alert to sync, but it does not "auto sync" for me." -- refer to the 7 page thread in the 700P forum.

Are you getting the same thing - if you got it - how did you fix it - I gave up on the Versa option and went back to chatter because I could not get past this problem of getting an alert to sync but not getting the actual pushed message. I had to manually sync to get the message - it was as if every time I got a message I got an alert but not the message itself
    Never got an alert !!

Will read the tread later anyway later