1.    #1  
    I'm sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum, but one major thing I miss from the Treo 650 was the intelligent dialing behavior. Essentially, I could start pressing buttons on the keypad, and as long as they matched up to a name in my contacts, it would autocomplete. That much is fine. BUT, if a match wasn't found and I'd dialed only digits, it would switch over to dialing the number.

For example, say I have a contact "Gerald", and I'm dialing 612-3456. As I dial 6, 1, 2 it will narrow down on Gerald (since those numbers correspond to the letters "Ger" on the Treo keyboard). However, on hitting "3", the Treo 650 would switch over to dialing a phone number, with the "612" properly entered. The Treo 700P just beeps at me.

This was great, since I could dial phone numbers or contacts without thinking about it, and it's very frustrating now.
    Yes this has been discussed. The solution is to press option first if you intend to dial a number. One extra key press to remember. It's not that difficult. I didn't own a 650, so this doesn't bother me. I cannot remember what the behavior was on the 600.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Yes this has been discussed. The solution is to press option first if you intend to dial a number. One extra key press to remember. It's not that difficult. I didn't own a 650, so this doesn't bother me. I cannot remember what the behavior was on the 600.
    That's the exact behavior I'm trying to avoid. No solutions then? Very surprising given the vibrant hacking and tweaking scene...
    I don’t have my 700P with me, but I believe it’s a preference in the Phone app, perhaps under dialing. Check it out and let us know ...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by canladdie View Post
    I donít have my 700P with me, but I believe itís a preference in the Phone app, perhaps under dialing. Check it out and let us know ...
    The Phone preferences let you choose one or the other, but there's no option for the intelligent context-sensitive behavior of the 650. That's one of those things that Just Worked, and was one of those little things that set Palm apart.
    I am glad I found this post. I just got the phone yesterday, and have been accidently calling people I don't want to call. This worked so perfect on the 650, why did they change it?

Here's the senerio that has been pissing me off. I start dialing the number just like I did on the 650, it goes to contacts, and doesn't dial the number I am dialing, then it's on a contact in my contacts list. I press the phone button to get back to the phone, and it calls whatever person that's highlighted.

My fingers move fast, and I don't have time for stupid things like this. I whish they would have just left it working the perfect way that it did, or at least let us have the option to switch it to work that way.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags