1.    #1  
    750 WM bye-bye.
    680 Palm OS HELLO!

I really-really-really tried to use this Windows Mobile. I even liked some features. But when the basic things do not work normally then it is time to change.

- I had to read the manual to figure how to dial the phone.
    - Can't thumb the WM screen, it is not made as a touchscreen.
    - Organizer sucks. WM has all the stupid TV media ware, but no useable organizer. With Palm OS I can write down more things that I can accomplish. With WM by the time I finish the Task list I regret that I wasted that much of this time on planning.
    - Address book with birthdays and children names, who the hell needs that for every entry?
    - No useable categories for Address book and Task list.
    - Can't just write in the calendar lines, WTF!
    - Applications all run in the background all the time, even after closed. I have to kill them several times a day, else the phone does not work.
    - 240x240 screen is uselless.
    - The 3G thing is as good as the service area that it is in. It flickers between 3G, EGDE and no service. I really want a faster internet, but if the fast internet is so unreliable then I will at least have a good working phone and a useable organizer.

Maybe WM is the future, but today is still today. When the future comes, I am sure that WM will look more like Palm OS. Then I will not mind switching. Until then it is Palm OS for me.
    Welcome back! As a previous WM user myself I'm using and enjoying the 680 much more than the WM. It's just not as practical as PalmOS. I hope Palm starts working hard and improving the OS...it would be a shame if it eventually fades into darkness.
    I ever had a WM phone too, but after 1 year searching and testing for 200+ software to organize my work and life easily, I finally realized WM phone is not for a business man like me, even it's MS Office support is worse than Palm OS!
    Welcome back to Palm world!
    If you needed to read the manual to figure out how to dial a phone, then you're soooo not ready for a smartphone. Maybe a bagphone is more up your alley. You and Plam deserve each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not! View Post
    If you needed to read the manual to figure out how to dial a phone, then you're soooo not ready for a smartphone. Maybe a bagphone is more up your alley. You and Plam deserve each other.
    You made that one up! That was very "smart" .....not! lol...you must be in the wrong forum..the WM one is over that way!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not! View Post
    Thank you for the compliment!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyangler View Post
    I ever had a WM phone too, but after 1 year searching and testing for 200+ software to organize my work and life easily, I finally realized WM phone is not for a business man like me, even it's MS Office support is worse than Palm OS!
    Welcome back to Palm world!
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I am so glad that I decided to end this abusive relationship eaarly. 'Un-businesslike' is exactly how I would also describe WM running a phone.

Surprisingly, this is the exact same reason that I prefer Win2K over Mac - it lets me get all the basic business done in a straight and logical manner without beeing too cute about it. All this multimedia stuff should be secondary to the function of a basic phone and organizer.
    Quote Originally Posted by whothehelltook View Post
    750 WM bye-bye.
    680 Palm OS HELLO!
    It's nice to hear of people moving from a more expensive to a less expensive phone and liking it more!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    i tried for several months with diffrent WM phones i even got sucked in the hype of the famous BlackJack. but it really sucks .IE would lockup after several pages and i had to reset it in order to continue surfin. I said well my only option was the Cingular 8125 or the Treo 680. i went with the treo i am so impressed with it that i cant believe that this is the same os that came with the treo 650
    Treo 650
    cingular locked
    Running the latest unlocked Rom and Firmware
  10.    #10  
    So far so good. I had a big bright smile since I picked it up today at noon.

The phone functions are night and day better. I can turn on the speakerphone, hold, or 3-way calling with one thumb or a click!

The touch-tone sound comes as expected. On WM it comes 1 second late, so if you dial fast you never know if you pressed the key or not intil a second later. It was really "retarded" on the 750 WM.

Installed the "camera battery drain patch", then it got me a little scared. After the required soft reset I had to recalibrate the touchscreen. Not a biggie.

I just noticed the Keyguard does not protect the keyboard fully. If you brush the keyboard fast, fast as if you are having a heart attack, it unexpectedly responds. It then lets you dial Emergency. I guess this is a built-in feature. Okay with me.

No Graffiti?? I actually learned not to use it already after the 750 WM trial, but there are several applications that will let me install it if I decide I am missing it.

I am back to my normal self, thanks to Palm OS. Hopefully no more software, hardware and functionality problems that I had with WM. I may do a few tweaks and install some software, but if it does not work for me then I know that I can always go back to the basic solid functionality of this device. Using a Palm is a truly rewarding experience. I now have my thoughts on the rest of my life.
    Last edited by whothehelltook; 01/31/2007 at 09:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I have both a 680 and a HTC P4350 WM phone. I switch between the two all the time. There are things I like about both. I am a long time WM user but I really love the Palm OS. My 680 is my #1 phone but there are some things that I do not like compared to WM. First, multitasking - the Palm OS really has some catching up to do here. Second, random reboots - I hate this. Every morning when I access Chatter my 680 reboots. I have to reset the network and reselect connections in Chatter. I hate this. However, the speed of the Palm OS, Chatter, and Agendus make it do-able.
  12.    #12  
    I have been a very bad boy. My 680 lasted only one day. I had to trade some features for others but I think I almost found happiness:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...45#post1189145
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I have a 750 and my wife has a 680. Mine works flawlessly, her's freezes DAILY! (no 3rd party apps installed) It has been replaced and is now bound for e-bay along with another one I have.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I sent it back after far too many freeze ups and resets. I was using zero added on software. This was just out of the box behavior with good network coverage. I was very sad to return this because I always liked and used Palm going back to the Handspring Visor Prism & Visor Phone days. My 750 has been as reliable as a rock in comparison. I am not a MS partisan. I just want the basics to work consistently well.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus Man View Post
    I sent it back after far too many freeze ups and resets. I was using zero added on software. This was just out of the box behavior with good network coverage. I was very sad to return this because I always liked and used Palm going back to the Handspring Visor Prism & Visor Phone days. My 750 has been as reliable as a rock in comparison. I am not a MS partisan. I just want the basics to work consistently well.

-THP
    Same here. I read about resets and lockups all over the 680/700/650 forums. Been there done that. Had one lockup on the 750 so far and that was because I was "messing" with it where I should not have been.

Joe
    I feel for you. I tried (and tried) WM5 but I cant just use it as a PDA/ Phone. Impressive device, yes, you impress people with it. But it was just not for me.
    Don't like WM5 at all. Way too slow and they even had to drop the screen res for the 750 to make up for the speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
    Don't like WM5 at all. Way too slow and they even had to drop the screen res for the 750 to make up for the speed.
    That doesn't make sense at all. Are you saying that they had to make the screen's resolution lower so that the unit would run faster?

You should read up more on this stuff. The resolution is 240x240 because that's what Windows Mobile supports it doesn't support 320x320 like PalmOS. The next step up for a square screen res. that WM supports would be 480x480, but that would require a screen size that would make the Treo bulkier than it already is.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    i came from a treo 700w and i hated the memory leaks. i so much prefer palm os now.