1.    #1  
    I get this message now. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Palm software, different syncing devices, both USB ports and still:

"USB Device Not Recognized / One fo the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance with this problem, click on this message."

When I click on the device it says "The location of the device is shown in bold type.

USB Root Hub (2 ports)
    +-- Unknown Device
    +-- Unused Port

Recommendation: Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it, replace the device."

Any ideas? I'm using Windows XP. thank you.
    Your USB cable may no longer be connecting properly, one of the connectors may have become worn or bent. Take your Treo down to the store and have them connect a cable to it -- if it is recognized on their PC -- you have a bad cable -- if their machine doesn't recognize it -- then it may be the Treo's connector that is affected.

Another thought : If you are an intern or resident and carry your Treo in your doctor's white coat pocket -- you may have some lint built up in the Treo's connector. . . . take a vaccuum and suck that area of the treo out well -- and then take a slightly damp with rubbing alcohol q-tip and clean off the contacts on the Treo and on the end of the USB cable, as well. Give it another go and see if that cures the issue.

Good Luck.

3rd thought: Check to make sure the cat has not unplugged the USB cable from the back of your PC. (Yes, I have had that happen.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/31/2007 at 07:50 AM.
    I was getting the same error on a clients Treo, If I connect my Treo it works fine but his works 1 in 30 tries. His is a brand new replacement from Cingular.
    Quote Originally Posted by reddick View Post
    I was getting the same error on a clients Treo, If I connect my Treo it works fine but his works 1 in 30 tries. His is a brand new replacement from Cingular.
    Same model? Yours works on his cable -- and his does not? I would try the q-tip thing -- but I would most likely be looking for a new replacement. I had the same situation on a Sprint 650 replacement -- my PC would not recognize it -- I took it back to the Sprint shop -- they grudging agreed the connection was iffy -- and gave me a new replacement that worked fine.
  5.    #5  
    Wow!!!! After spending hours and hours last night searching this message board, deleting all my recently installed files, calling sprint, soft resets, etc.... Perry has the solution!!! For those searching and don't have alcohol, I used water on a q-tip, scrubbed the phone's connecters. I tried to sync, PC recognized it and then in the middle, got the same error. Did the same thing with the cradle's connecters and the qtip, re-sync and it worked!! Thank you Perry!!!!
    Awesome.

I will accept the thank-you on behalf of all forum members -- just passing along the knowledge I have picked up here. . .

Glad you are up and running -- it is a royal pain to think your other significant other is toast. . . .